Florida-West Coast

SUSANN1502~My Introduction~

Hi I am Susie ~ I am 31 years old... I live in Northern New Jersey... I have been engaged (to Ron) since August and am planning a November wedding at The Don CeSar. The recent passing of Ron's dad has made the wedding planning process very different... One day I was stamping my Save the Dates, complaining about the stamps we didn;t get in time... the next day we were in a hospital room watching his dad die from a severe stroke... 

Sometimes along the way you realize.. all of this stuff is peanuts... What really matters is family and being there for family.  
We are excited to start our lives together.. 
However bittersweet it may be...

I am new to the message boards and am not familiar as to the etiquette required.  If i am offending anyone please bring it to my attention, as I am not intentionally trying to! 

Thank you...
Susie 
~love...is not about the person you can live with... but the one you can't live without~ Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: SUSANN1502~My Introduction~

• edited December 2011
    Welcome Susie!  I am so sorry to hear about your father-in-law's passing.  That kind of thing is never easy and especially with all the changes you both have going on right now.  We're here to help you in any way we can.  Have you thought about honoring him in some way on your big day?  I'm sure the ladies on here could give you some good ideas on how to do that.  Even though he won't be there in person, he will be there in spirit.

Again, I apologize if we got off on the right foot.  I am so glad you proved me wrong! :-D  Let us know if we can help in any way!
    Brooke + Chavis
    est. 10/10/10

Photobucket CafeMom Tickers
  • ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! Sorry about your FIL. It takes a lot of strength & courage to continue your plans. Can't wait to hear what you've got!
  • cmeyer3946cmeyer3946 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I can't imagine how painful it is for you.  My brother is alive and healthy, thank the lord, but going through the most bitter, ugly, nasty divorce and I feel guilty sometimes for being happy when he's going through such pain.  My parents can't really mention the wedding for that fact either. 

It is very bittersweet that these chain of events are occuring in the manner they are, but what matters is that our family can be there for him at his darkest hour and that's what we have to remember...it's all about family.  And that's what our wedding day really represents.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lproutenlprouten member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board officially!!

For what its worth the girls on his board are really helpful and arn't catty like some boards . Can't wait to hear more about your wedding and happy to answer any questions you may have along the way. November will be here before you know it, so enjoy your planning process!!

Sorry to hear about your FI father. Its great you have each other for support when life is at its hardest.

• susann1502susann1502 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all! 

In response to honoring my FIL--- 

When we go engaged it was shortly after my grandfather passed... Friends of ours kids were there when we got engaged, the older boy is about 9 years old and said to me can we write to heaven?  What he meant was he wanted to put notes on the balloons to let 'heaven' know i had gotten engaged...

The message on the balloon said," Dear God, Ron asked Susie to marry him today and she said yes... and thats a Miracle..."

So at the ceremony we wanted to get yellow round balloons, and have everyone write a message on them..then send them off into the heavens.... It would be a nice way to make Ron feel like his Dad is part of the day...

We are having a Non-denominational ceremony, which my sister is presiding.. If you have any other ideas.. Let me know!!! Thanks 

~love...is not about the person you can live with... but the one you can't live without~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Susie...so sorry for your loss.  I will be honoring my brother at our wedding in 2 ways.  I wrote a really nice message to him on my programs...and I will also dedicate my bouquet to him after the ceremony has ended with a rosary that I will carry in his memory.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!!

HTH!!! 
    On March 13, 2010 I reaffirmed the LOVE that I have for the MOST important man in my LIFE! And now it is Happily ever after...forever!!!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome. Best wishes for an amazing wedding.  I saw your save the date and thought it was beautiful.  Congrats.
  • edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear of your loss.  I too have had several "teary" moments during my planning process.  My grandmother, who I was extremely close to and has been gone for some time. made wedding cakes for a living and I had alway dreamed of having her make my wedding cake.  The balloon release for your wedding sounds like a fantastic way to honor your loved ones.  Welcome to the board, just let us know if we can help in any way!!!  Smile
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!  I love the balloon release idea.  Two years ago I lost my grandmother and grandfather two weeks apart.  A few weeks after that my mother re-married and I knot it was very difficult but it was what they would've wished.  It had always been my dream to dance with my grandfather to Frank Sinatra at my wedding so instead after I dance with my father my then hubby will dance with me solo to "The Way You Look Tonight".  I'm also carrying a single white carnation on the bible I will have in addition to a cameo that belonged to my grandmother.  Makes me feel better to know I can still make them a part of my day.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone! Its nice to know i am not alone out there.  Its hard for me~ but even harder for my FH.  I know he is excited but it is marred by the feeling that he shouldn't get all happy, he feels guilty) I hope that he can find some strength that his father would want him to be happy.  I feel like i am playing "catch up" as far as planning goes.  So much to do and no time to do it... 
  • signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    welcome to the boards and sorry about your FFIL.  My FI's father passed away in August.  To honor his memory, we are mentioning him on the program as well as leaving an empty chair next to his mom at the cermeony and reception.  The balloon idea sounds nice too.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello and Welcome to the board!
  • edited December 2011
    Such a sweet memorial idea.  Welcome to the boards, we hope we can help you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_susann1502my-introduction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:62Discussion:5594d5a9-4707-4b80-aaff-3cd595eb19f9Post:18de5cb4-5828-4949-a34d-da8e430492e4">Re: SUSANN1502~My Introduction~</a>:
    [QUOTE]welcome to the boards and sorry about your FFIL.  My FI's father passed away in August.  To honor his memory, we are mentioning him on the program as well as leaving an empty chair next to his mom at the cermeony and reception.  The balloon idea sounds nice too.
    Posted by signingjulie[/QUOTE]

<div>I thought about doing that but since it isn't my dad i was wondering if that would increase the sadness?? Is that something that is done cause i thought that would be good..</div><div>Also thought maybe instead of putting the empty chair next to her.. setting it up (we are getting married on the beach) behind the officiant?? With roses on the chairs??</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards