New York
Options

A WTF story (NWR) and it's a little long

So, I brought my dog to get her teeth cleaned on Monday morning and was told I could call after 12 to see how she was doing.  I called at 12:01 (she is my baby), they said to call after 2 because she was really groggy still.  I called at 2:02, they said she was doing fine and that I could pick her up anytime between 4 and 7.  Great.  I go to pick her up and I had to actually go into the room with the cages because she was cowering in the back of the crate.  As soon as she saw me she was trying to climb me to get her out of there (her crate was on the second row so she was already at chest height).  They send her home with an antibiotic and a pain killer.  Okay, A. she can't take that painkiller because she had problems w/it in the past.  Thanks for checking/documenting her chart.  And B. I found it kind of strange to have a painkiller.  For crying out loud, it was a teeth cleaning.  I didn't ask though because it was the first time she'd ever had it done, and they said to put her on soft food for a few days because she'd be sore.  Whatever.  Last night she's hanging out and her mouth's open so I checked to see her pretty teeth.  WTF, she's missing one of her big back teeth.  I checked again, yep no tooth there!  UMMMM, why is my dog missing a tooth and why did no one tell me when I picked her up??!!  So, after I got out of work this moring I called the vet.   There is no documentation of having a tooth pulled (there was nothing on my paperwork either), but the girl says, "no, they normally don't put them on painkillers for a routine cleaning, just an antibiotic".  They're going to have the person who did the "cleaning" call me Monday.  They're actually having a meeting on Monday too because something similar happened with a discharge not too long ago!!  If you had to pull her tooth, that's fine, but why the eff did no one tell me when I picked her up??  I'm pissed!  This is a rant more than anything, but I will let you know what happens after they call me on Monday.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A WTF story (NWR) and it's a little long

• Options
    Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems like they would legally have to tell you before they did any procedure like that!  Did the bill reflect a tooth extraction?  If I were you I would be there first thing Monday!!! Oh, and could you PM me the name of this place so I know not to go there with our dog?
  • Options
    CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I would be having my mom call them up... why not me? Because I'm not nearly as good as b*tching at people about things like this as she is!!! And because I'd probably start crying!! My dog is my baby too, and I would be pissed. Definitely would NEVER go there again
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_wtf-story-nwr-its-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:0f1c1d7e-9bd6-422c-8e4e-418a4c74fec4Post:e7cd40d6-68f4-4982-b4d0-7ea9fad1293e">Re: A WTF story (NWR) and it's a little long</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems like they would legally have to tell you before they did any procedure like that!  Did the bill reflect a tooth extraction?  If I were you I would be there first thing Monday!!! Oh, and could you PM me the name of this place so I know not to go there with our dog?
    Posted by ktobin0519[/QUOTE]
    You've got PM.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_wtf-story-nwr-its-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:0f1c1d7e-9bd6-422c-8e4e-418a4c74fec4Post:63b1e135-d3e0-4c20-941e-9dd1eb147a31">Re: A WTF story (NWR) and it's a little long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I would be having my mom call them up... why not me? Because I'm not nearly as good as b*tching at people about things like this as she is!!! And because I'd probably start crying!! My dog is my baby too, and I would be pissed. Definitely would NEVER go there again
    Posted by CD2011[/QUOTE]
    I'm very upset.  I was very nice to the girl on the phone today because I realize she had nothing to do with it, but whoever I talk to on Monday is going to get an earful.  By the way I've never seen you post before.  Is there a post I missed?  Welcome to the board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow! I'm wondering, do they contract with a vet dentist or someone else to do the cleanings? That is pretty freaking crazy!
    Callie had her teeth cleaned for the first time  back in January, and our vet was amazing. There, the actual vets do it themselves, so we made sure her specific vet (Dr. Fish of all names, hehe) could do it. We got a call from the front desk after they put her under to let us know how she was doing so far, and that the level of tartar looked superficial so not to expect any extractions, but they would keep us updated. After they were finished, Dr. Fish called me herself, and let me know how it went, what they did (no extractions), what time to get her, and about the antibiotics.
    Sounds like you did not get treated like a human being, a paying customer, or a concerned owner. Horrible! Although, glad to hear your dog is ok.
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • Options
    raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't blame you at all for being angry.I had a situation last summer with my vet that could have killed my golden retriever. I still get angry thinking about it. Needless to say, I will never use that vet again, and neither will anyone that ever asks me for a vet recommendation.

If you can, I would find a vet that treats your fur babies like their own, and not just a paycheck. The vet I go to now loves animals, and it really shows with how he interacts with the pets that come in and I really trust him.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whoah... scary.  Please post the name of the vet... and raes too.  I really hope it's not the one I just took my brand new puppy too.

Glad all is well with your dog, but really... that's not cool.  Give 'em hell Monday.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    I doubt you take your puppy all the way to Phelps, but for anyone that might- DON'T. Not only did they almost kill my dog, but they didn't even apologize and were incredibly rude to me.

Monica- congrats on the new puppy! What kind?
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the head's up, raes.  I took mine to Liverpool Animal Health Center... phew.  We just got an adorable Olde English Bulldogge named Lucy... Love her!!!  I will AW some pics tomorrow
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Very sorry for your traumatic experience!! Liverpool Animal Health Center gets a thumbs up from me. They treated my rabbit with care, and handled her well when she tried to escape haha. We haven't found a new vet for her out in MA, but I'm hoping they do as great of a job as LAHC.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad to know I'm not overreacting.  I've been taking her to Waterville, there are so many doctors there I never know who I'm going to see.  Some of them I like, and some of them not so much.  A few years ago, one of them thought she needed to be muzzled for a shot.  I told him politely that I really didn't think that was necessary.  He did it anyway and she was so scared that it literally scared the crap out of her.  She tried to back away and got it all over her butt.  Don't ask me how, but the vet didn't smell it or realize it happened at first.  So as a result, when she was all over me because she was so scared, I got it on my pants.  It was a mess, and I was pissed then.  This really iced the cake though!  Anyone with recommendations for good vets in the Utica area, please let me know.  I've got to start making some phone calls :(.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh... your poor puppy.  I am so sorry you have had such bad luck with your vet.  I am of no use for suggestions in the Utica area... maybe someone else on here or maybe even check The Nest.  Hope you find a better one.
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    mek20mek20 member
    edited December 2011
    We got to LAHC too, and we <3 Dr. Clegg...just got a black lab/beagle mix puppy (yes, i know odd) and he is our little prince..he knows it too ;)
    First comes Love (2.23.2006)
    Then comes Marriage (6.23.2012)
    Then comes Baby #1 (5.10.2013)
    And Baby #2 (EDD 6.15.2014)
    In the baby carriage! 
  • Options
    Happily9Happily9 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_wtf-story-nwr-its-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:0f1c1d7e-9bd6-422c-8e4e-418a4c74fec4Post:d64ed397-5372-437d-8a8b-da9d6bb8a737">Re: A WTF story (NWR) and it's a little long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Glad to know I'm not overreacting.  I've been taking her to Waterville, there are so many doctors there I never know who I'm going to see.  Some of them I like, and some of them not so much.  A few years ago, one of them thought she needed to be muzzled for a shot.  I told him politely that I really didn't think that was necessary.  He did it anyway and she was so scared that it literally scared the crap out of her.  She tried to back away and got it all over her butt.  Don't ask me how, but the vet didn't smell it or realize it happened at first.  So as a result, when she was all over me because she was so scared, I got it on my pants.  It was a mess, and I was pissed then.  This really iced the cake though!  Anyone with recommendations for good vets in the Utica area, please let me know.  I've got to start making some phone calls :(.
    Posted by acmj11[/QUOTE]

We use Burrstone Animal Hospital....I can't think of a single reason that I would complain about them. 
  • Options
    rsfan23rsfan23 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We use Burrstone too for our cat. They have a few different Drs that you can see. They are really nice there. I do have to warn you though, one of the Dr.'s is very smart, but can be a little mean to the owner, NEVER to the animal. I took my cat there and he told me she was allergic to all sorts of things and needed to eat carrots and bean sprouts. I felt like the worst pet parent ever, but he was right! He just delivered in such a way that made me feel terrible.  So we switched the diet and got her treats that were better and she was fine and her last annual check up was good too. :)  Overall, I would recommend Burrstone, they treat the animals well and the staff and Drs. are nice.

I've heard bad things about New Hartford Animal Hospital. That's all that I can think of.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!  I'm going to make some phone calls.  It's definitely time for a switch.  On a happy note, she's doing really well.  Although I'm really pissed, she seems to be her normal, happy, playful self!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_wtf-story-nwr-its-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:0f1c1d7e-9bd6-422c-8e4e-418a4c74fec4Post:928d91a3-c537-455f-908d-6caf32bbd9ed">Re: A WTF story (NWR) and it's a little long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the head's up, raes.  I took mine to Liverpool Animal Health Center... phew.  We just got an adorable Olde English Bulldogge named Lucy... Love her!!!  I will AW some pics tomorrow
    Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]

I used to take mine there, but didn't care for them. I will only take my animals to Dr. Russell at Liverpool Village Animal Hospital now. She is so sweet, and she helps me keep the cost down for my dog (she has seizures and is on meds)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards