New York

Registries

I was just reading some posts on the E board and a question arose- they are too scary to  ask so I thought I'd ask you girls- They were all saying how registry cards are rude and if someone wants to know where you are registered they will ask, or search common places. We weren't plannign on using the crads, but I did put links on our wedding website. I didn't want to register really in the first place, though it was wicked fun to do it, my mom insisted that people would want us to and it would be convenient for them. On those same lines, I put the registry links on the website.

So is it rude to put the links on the website, or to let people know where you are registered? I can't imagine poeple wanting to call me up to ask! What do you think??

Re: Registries

• raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Putting them on the website is definately okay to do. That's kind of the point of a website, any extra info people might need in an easy to access place. Some non-internet using guests might still call, but they generally will ask the shower host or maybe one of your parents.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yup, you can definitely put registry info on your website.  You can also include registry cards with the wedding shower invitations, but definitely not the actual wedding invitations.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    Agreed.  Website links are totally fine!

And I LOVE when a person has a good registry.  No guesswork and no feeling like I have to give cash unless I want to!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely put the info on your website.  We included a card from AAA in our invites and I totally regret it.  I feel like such a sleeze ball for sticking it in there, but the AAA lady suggested it and (at the time) I didn't realize how gift grabby that seems.  Ugh.  If I only knew then what I know now. 
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Monica, AAA as in for your HM?

I did the honeymoon thing. It was pretty much a no go. People gave $$ and we paid with that. Def regret that and wish I just stole the scanner from Mr "No we dont need that" and just went crazy!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah... the AAA was a complete bust.  Aside from all of the other issues I had with them (changing flights, charging extra $$, not having a clue what the resort was like and booking us a stupid room with a view of hairy guy by the pool)... the honeymoon registry was a waste.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Oooo thats right I do remember all that. Yeah, I dont suggest HM registries, and not for E-Board reasons. They simply suck.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    OK, I'm glad this was asked.  We are thinking of including registry cards with our save the dates.  I don't know the proper etiquette here.
     Is that presumptuous?

We've been getting asked lately where we are registered (which we aren't I think we'll go this weekend)  I know family members have asked because they want to send an engagement gift and/or use registries for Christmas/birthday gifts over the next year as well.

I'm sending STDs out soon and we are including a letter/note with accommodation info because of the rooms situation (castle is almost booked and rooms are expensive so we're offering a block at another hotel and will include info for a few other places as well) It may be very difficult to get rooms if people wait too long like even a few months out could be too late.

We are doing casual STD that don't match our formal invites or wedding theme, so I was thinking maybe this could be ok?
    Sept 2012 Siggy:Bridesmaids' Dresses
    Bari Jay 911 in Raspberry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_registries-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:6af51c00-cc2b-470f-832a-ac36e98f280aPost:66007f68-646d-4d0c-8e6c-b966972a187d">Re: Registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, I'm glad this was asked.  <strong>We are thinking of including registry cards with our save the dates.  I don't know the proper etiquette here.  Is that presumptuous? We've been getting asked lately where we are registered</strong> (which we aren't I think we'll go this weekend)  I know family members have asked because they want to send an engagement gift and/or use registries for Christmas/birthday gifts over the next year as well. I'm sending STDs out soon and we are including a letter/note with accommodation info because of the rooms situation (castle is almost booked and rooms are expensive so we're offering a block at another hotel and will include info for a few other places as well) It may be very difficult to get rooms if people wait too long like even a few months out could be too late.  We are doing casual STD that don't match our formal invites or wedding theme, so I was thinking maybe this could be ok?
    Posted by meagandal[/QUOTE]

I definitely would not include those cards with STDs.  Since people are already asking, keep it up with the "word of mouth" route.  Your family or wedding party can let them know verbally where you're registered.  As for including the hotel info, that's a great idea!  I stressed on my website how important it is to book rooms in advance for Geneva.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    yeah I'm totally worried it would be tacky, My FI thinks they should go in.  I think I'm leaning more towards website info that includes registries and the hotel info.  I know its a touchyt subject. 

Thanks for not biting my head off I used to be a bit hesitant to post here. Not scared or intimidated but just not impressed with how intense and judgy it got around here.  I just don't have the proper internets skilz all the time I suppose.  Folks get  a little cray cray about this stuff its like a second life with its own language to boot!

I'm so glad to see some activity here again now especially since I'm actually doing this stuff not just thinking about it anymore.

Sept 2012 Siggy:Bridesmaids' Dresses
    Bari Jay 911 in Raspberry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    Agreed.  I would definitely not write out registry info on STDs.  But putting the info on a wedding website and inserting your web address is fine!  And word of mouth works too.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards