New York
Options

"Group" Dances

How does everyone feel about "group" type dances? I'm talking about dances like the Macarena, Electric Slide, etc. I'm not particularly a big fan of these, but everyone (FI, mom, MOH, DJ) thinks they are neccesary. I keep hearing "think about your guests" and I feel like as a guest I wouldn't find these dances needed for me to enjoy myself. Is this a battle worth fighting? Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other on these?
Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker

Re: "Group" Dances

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only one I like is the Cupid Shuffle... which we used as our bridal party dance in lieu of some awkward slow song for our bms and gms... about a minute n, the DJ opened it up for everyone and the dance floor was flooded from then on through the end of the night.  It was actually a pretty good way to kick it off.

The others, IMHO, are overplayed and annoying.  I'm sure a few people felt the same way about the CUpid Shuffle too, though.  On the other hand, though... those kind of songs... as annoying as they may be... do have a tendancy to get people of all ages off their butts and on the dance floor.  So, I guess they serve a purpose.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am only doing the YMCA for my mom...(long story).  These types of dances tend to annoy me!
  • Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing any at the request of FI.  I'm pretty neutral about the whole thing; I don't love 'em but I don't hate 'em either.  He doesn't like them at all though.  If it's important to your FI, I'd just put in 1 or 2 songs.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011

Thanks for your opinions! I think maybe I will tell our DJ to play the Cupid Shuffle or something if people need some encouragement to get on the dance floor, but otherwise try to stay away from them unless they are requested. I really don't think getting people to dance will be an issue with this group, especially once they get some booze in them Smile

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every single one of those songs except Cupid Shuffle is on our absolutely do not play list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cupid Shuffle = fun, Cha Cha Slide = even more fun
    Photobucket
  • Options
    MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a huge fan.. but FI and I have talked to our DJ about doing one (maybe two) just to get people out there dancing. We said Cha Cha and Cupid are okay but no macarena or electric slide.
  • Options
    kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I had to YouTube Cupid Shuffle Embarassed  But after 10 seconds I recognized the song haha.  Maybe we'll add this to our list, but I don't think any other group dances.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to ask the DJ not to play any of them, but I never did. He played the Cha Cha slide and everyone LOVED it. MIL requested the Macarena, which I did NOT want to do so I left the dance floor. Then it was FLOODED, so I joined. He also made me start a conga line... again, tons of people joined. I was SHOCKED! We went to a wedding 6 days before ours, and those types of songs got a lot of people involved at that one too. As much as a lot of them seem lame, for whatever reason they get people moving!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards