New York

DJ Suggestions

I'm looking for a DJ who will not use a banner or sign, and who is professional. I went to a wedding last fall and was actually embarrased for the bride. I won't name names, but that Dj will NOT be at my wedding.

I refuse to spend less than $1000. You can call me stupid, but I actually left my husband's cousins wedding because the DJ was so bad. He was doing the electric slide on the dance floor! I don't want a cheeseball! I'm spending too much money to have people leave early!

So the budget ius $1000 and up a bit depending on whats included.

Thanks! :)

Re: DJ Suggestions

• What part of upstate are you in? That will determine who is suggested. And odds are you won't find a DJ who doesn't use a banner or sign. They're a business and that's their way to promote themselves. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • AmsdragonflyAmsdragonfly member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    look up "cool cat DJ" in central NY- that's who we are using- very professional, nice couple own it, and no banner. :) They have a website (coolcatdj.com i think).

ETA: They are near Schenectady but travel, if that helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in the syracuse area. I dont agree that that's how the advertise. My florist wont have a sign up, my photographer won't, my caterer wont, why should my dj. I think its totally unprofessional.
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    Eh, it's business. But you're always free to ask any DJ to not put up a sign or use a table cloth that has their name on it. I'm using Ken Paradise from Paradise Entertainment. He's based out of Waterloo (35ish minutes west of Cuse) but he travels. He's on the expensive side, but since that's what you're looking for then it doesn't matter. We're paying about a grand for ceremony, cocktail hour, reception and uplighting. We only got 10 uplights though instead of the suggested 15 because we didn't want to pay out the wazoo but we absolutely had to have him (and I insisted I had to have lights)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That sounds like a great deal! Are those uplights thrown in for free? A grand is not on the expensive side at all... I'm spending almost that on stupid chair covers. I'm going to call your guy and see if I like them. That seems like a great price for all that, almost too good to be true, but maybe hes throwing in the ceremony and lights? Did you have to negotiate that rate?
  • Nope. I paid extra for them. Here's his website (clicky). It's a bit out dated, but if you find him weddingwire you'll be blown away by his reviews. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ken Paradise is a great DJ. He's been in the business for years and I've seen him at multiple occasions and he always does a fantastic job.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_dj-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:9665efa7-d74c-4f09-80ec-30e3ed438e40Post:cc1f0d42-11e7-4678-9775-d00393bfb09d">Re: DJ Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. I paid extra for them. Here's his website  (clicky).  It's a bit out dated, but if you find him weddingwire you'll be blown away by his reviews. 
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]

Ok, I had my fiance call and talk to ken, he seemed nice, but wasnt sure if they had our date open, he was on his cell phone. I must admit, he said that someone would probably be able to do our wedding, and that turns me off a little that i need to just trust that who he sends will be good. the other company i was considering the owner is at every wedding, that is select receptions. that def. gives me peace of mind. we shall see. I'm going to talk to ken tomorrow and hopefully meet him when hes in syr.
  • thank you again BTW! I appreciate the info!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_dj-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:9665efa7-d74c-4f09-80ec-30e3ed438e40Post:67d1ec51-62f1-4e71-8f0e-f5a8d541cae7">Re: DJ Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DJ Suggestions : Ok, I had my fiance call and talk to ken, he seemed nice, but wasnt sure if they had our date open, he was on his cell phone. I must admit, he said that someone would probably be able to do our wedding, and that turns me off a little that i need to just trust that who he sends will be good. the other company i was considering the owner is at every wedding, that is select receptions. that def. gives me peace of mind. we shall see. I'm going to talk to ken tomorrow and hopefully meet him when hes in syr.
    Posted by NicoleM315[/QUOTE]

<div>Because Ken is like the biggest name for  DJ in the Finger Lakes region. We booked him 16 months out and were his second June 2013 wedding already. He has other DJ's though and a lot of the reviews are for his other DJ's and they're always good. </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck!</div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I own a DJ company and right now am offering $100 off anyone who mentions this website. I have done weddings of all cultures and music. My lighting and sound equipment is state of the art. We are extremely profesional and affordable.

Email: contact@indiandjnewyork.com
    Phone: 6313791017

I know the website says Indian, but that is just my speciality. We do all types of weddings on a regular basis.
  • OP, you sound like a dj we looked into. Try looking at Kevin Colangelo. He perfectly describes what you're looking for. He wasn't my choice, but from you described, you would like him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards