New York

Wedding Dress Shopping Dilemma

Hi everybody!
This is my first post, so I will introduce myself. My FI and I got engaged in October and I am just starting to plan now. We are looking to have an October 2013 wedding. I am wondering if starting to look for dresses in January is a good idea or not. I don't want to purchase one so soon, because I am worried that I will need to get it altered several times and the style will be old by the wedding. However, I want to go to start shopping around and see what styles fit my body. There is a dress at a store (I saw this online) that is exactly what I want. I am worried that I will either buy one too soon or miss my chance.
What do you all think?

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping Dilemma

• MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it hurts to go and try on various styles to get an idea about what flatters your figure and what you like. But I would seriously considering waiting until late 2012/early 2013 to actually order a dress. It's hard to predict how styles may change/how your tastes may change over the next 2 years.
  • raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you have so much time, I would take advantage of it and shop around. If you want to try anything on, go for it, but you should wait until maybe a year out before buying a dress. Your wedding plans are sure to change a lot over the next two years, so the the dress in your vision now might not be the dress you want once you have a lot of the other details worked out. Good luck to you, and happy shopping!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Before going out to shop, take a moment to check out The Knot Classifieds section and The Nest Trash to Treasure. 75% of the posts are girls selling their wedding dresses... And 1/2 of those are because they bought too soon then changed their mind. Now they are stuck trying to sell a dress they loved 2 years before their wedding to try to get the dress they now want... And losing about half of what they paid. Ouch. Remember that when you shop... You don't want to end up doing that and losing a ton of money.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Agree with PP. There's nothing wrong with looking or trying dresses on, but a lot can change in 2 years in terms of taste, style, etc. Also remember that once you put a deposit down and they start making the dress, it's yours. I don't know how many stores will do partial or full refunds. Especially because dresses are getting more expensive, you'll want to be sure you're making the right purchase.

Good luck!
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Agree with PP, go ahead and start looking.  You can try on dresses to see which shape you love.  Just don't purchase it yet, because your taste can (and will) change in a year.  Have fun browsing around!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    The longest estimate I heard from a bridal shop was 8 months for a dress to come in. Iou still have so much time to make a decision. I would go for fun and look around and wait for a trunk show to get the best deal on your dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ski2playski2play member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am the proud owner of a dress that one of those girl purchased too early and didn't want as she got closer to her wedding.  Her loss was certainly my gain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards