New York-Western

printing vs. handwriting addresses on invitations

Hi everyone!

I'm working on putting together our invitations and we're debating on whether to print the envelopes or handwrite them (inner and outer).  I have "okay" handwriting but my fiance's is awful.  I think the printed option would look nicer but I've read that ettiquete says to handwrite them.

What do you all think?

Re: printing vs. handwriting addresses on invitations

• AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your printer is able to print envelopes and you think it would look nicer than your handwriting I would print them. I've never thought it was tacky if I got a printed one. You could always use a calligraphy type font.
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just print them but don't use calligraphy font type. The machine at the post office might have a hard time reading the font if you use a real fancy font. This happen to a few girls on my local board.

I used clear labels on my invites and I didn't get one person say to me that it looked bad. In WNY labels are perfectly acceptable. Some other areas of the country it would not be.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    Clear labels!!!!  Etiquette-schmettiquette!  It's way easier, looks neater, and everyone usually tosses the envelope away anyways... as long as the post office can read it and it gets the invite where it needs to go, mission accomplished.  Save yourself the headaches and hand cramps!
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_printing-vs-handwriting-addresses-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:136b3fe1-5a47-4b8c-84fc-ab9d533cca9dPost:73a5cf24-0dc8-4a5d-b42b-4040f2b9c6e0">Re: printing vs. handwriting addresses on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just print them but don't use calligraphy font type. The machine at the post office might have a hard time reading the font if you use a real fancy font. This happen to a few girls on my local board. I used clear labels on my invites and I didn't get one person say to me that it looked bad. In WNY labels are perfectly acceptable. Some other areas of the country it would not be.
    Posted by degrea[/QUOTE]

i agree with this.  i mean, seriously?  who is going to complain about the way their address is listed on the envelope?
  • edited December 2011
    I am so glad I found this post.  I have been debating the same thing.  Thanks PP's!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions!  I actually ended up hand writing them.  I didn't have labels and I just wanted to get started so one night I worked on them and got through over half. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, thank you for asking this...it answers my debate about handwritten or printed! Thanks everyone!
    Vacation Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards