New York-Western

VILLAGE DESSERTS

I need to vent. I bought my wedding cake through village desserts and now they have gone out of business. It was the $99 deal and each additional piece was $1. I know I am not the only bride who has been screwed by this. They originally closed and moved into P&R Bakery and now have also contributed to their going out of business. I have 6 weeks to my wedding and now a limited budget, if anyone knows of a reliable and reasonably priced bakery please let me know. Thanks for listening to my ran. I'm just so frustrated.

Re: VILLAGE DESSERTS

• edited December 2011
    i got the same letter you got today..i am beyond pissed...and frustrated. i have 5 weeks left before my wedding...and my good friend has only 2 weeks! the thing im confused about is..if you google village desserts and click on the Amherst Bee article about them then you will find out that the woman from Village Desserts is the wife of the owner of P&R Bakery...but according to the letter they sent us they can't get a hold of Village Desserts...does this make any sense?!?!? no. second, my fiance and i went to P&R Bakery YESTERDAY to change the flavor of our filling and not a word was said about their closing...i bet they didnt even tell their employees yet...ridiculous.
  • MrsPawlak2BMrsPawlak2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FH's Grandmother has her own side business making wedding cakes.  She does a fabulous job and her cakes taste amazing!  She is also very reasonably priced.  PM me if you would like her number.
    8/6/11 ~ Happily Ever After!
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting ours from someone that does it on the side for a GREAT cost. She is a friend of friend type thing. PM if you want the details.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your response, I found someone to make my cake. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies!

I got the same letter from P&R. I was extremely upset myself, especially since we are on such a limited budget. I'm sure you all feel the same way. I feel so bad that this happened to so many of us, but at least we're not alone. I have 7 weeks to go before the big day myself.

I heard that the husband/wife team who owned P&R Bakery and Village Desserts are in a very nasty divorce and the wife shut down her part of the business -Village Desserts...so that is why the owner of P&R doesn't know how to get ahold of the "owner" of VD. However, since this is a breach of contract, we all deserve our money back. I am calling Buffalo Better Business Bureau tomorrow.

I know it's kinda pricey, but today my step mom completely surprised FH and I with a cake from Muscoreils and they were amazing! I can say this: The ladies there were EXTREMELY nice and very sensitive to the situation. They treated FH and I like gold and went out of their way to diffuse any stress we had over the situation. They said that they have had several VD Brides come in and they are more than happy to accommodate us. They were absolutely wonderful. If you want to work with genuinely nice people, get fantastic service,  and a delicious cake, you can't go wrong here!

When I first got the letter from P&R on Friday, I contacted the president of the Buffalo Bridal Association and he is working to see what he can do as well (both getting in touch with VD and other bakeries). I'm sure he knew I wouldn't be the first bride! He has been contacting local bakeries letting them know what happened to with us VD brides. So far, I have gotten e-mails from Fairy Cakes Cupcakery and Ohlson's Bakery all more than happy to come to our aid. Ohlson's even said that they would help compensate us (at least partially) for the loss of our funds by lowering the cost of their cakes. I'll be more than happy to pass along any more info that comes my way. Anything I can do to help...

Take Care Everyone and I'll continue to update if I have more info to help.
    ~Kristie
  • edited December 2011
    Hey girls  -- I too got that same letter.  what really bothers me is that we were in P&R bakery 2 weeks ago and everything was fine with our contract.  Our wedding is 2 weeks away and I have no clue where we are getting our cake.  So any thoughts or suggestions are highly welcomed.  i am afriad with only 2 weeks to go that we are screwed.

Any BTW - just in case anyone believed the letter P&R sent, the woman who owned Village Desserts and the owner of P&R are husband and wife. So this BS that P&R had no clue about Village Dessert closing is a bunch of crap.
  • edited December 2011

I do know now that the owners were married and are in the middle of a nasty divorce, but that does not help us. I spoke with Sweet Beginnings in Kenmore and they said if we had the letter, they would give a $50 credit toward the cake. I believe the slices were $2.75 each. Hope this helps. Its also been suggested to me to contacti channel 4's Luke Morretti regarding this, I guess he does the investigave thing and channel 4 was the station that was advertising the deal.  There has to be hundreds of weddings affected by this screw up.

• mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thank-you so much for posting this. I was looking into Village Desserts for my cake and had planned to go to Lucarelli's Wedding show to book it. I wonder why the website doesn't take Village Desserts off the advertisement?
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear about everyone's cake problems.  This is definitely something you do not need with your weddings so close!  Someone mentioned Ohlson's above and we used them for our wedding and the cake looked and tasted amazing.  We were also suprised by how reasonably priced they were. 
  • edited December 2011

a family member of mine and a good friend of mine both contacted channel 4 today regarding this cake debacle and they informed us that they have gotten many calls and will be running story on it within the next few days (not today but possibly tomorrow or wednesday)

i don't know if anybody took a look at their actual contract from the $99 cake event but mine is signed "R Sondel"  aka owner of P&R Bakery. If he's saying that the contract is with village desserts then why is HIS name on my contract?!?!?!? ridiculous.

• ccialoneccialone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW! I am so shocked by this! I am getting married next year and have been holding back on getting a cake because I was waiting for the Village Dessert Special! Im so sorry you are all going through this.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies!

I just got another e-mail from Caramici's Dessert Bar & Bakery also willing to accommodate the VD brides. So at least there is another option. I'll keep posting as I hear more from other bakeries.  Also, Michael, the president of the Buffalo Bridal Association took VD off of their list of vendors, so at least brides just getting started in their planning are getting the most up-to-date info.

And thanks for the heads-up about who actually signed your contract, emschieb! I'm definitely going to look at mine when I get home. If anyone has any more info on that news report, let me know! I want to catch it!

Take Care Everyone!
    ~Kristie
  • edited December 2011
    the report aired today at 5:00 on channel 4. but if you go to their website wivb.com (the story is currently on their front page) you should be able to find a link there. also, there is an article on the buffalo news website as well..here is the address:

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/article196500.ece

so i haven't decided what i am going to do yet, i got a lot of ideas from friends but they're all starting at like $300...not really what i wanted to spend. my friend ended up going to tops and they're doing pretty much the exact same cake she was going to get from VD and it only cost her $185 ( i think she's also getting cupcakes from Rich's bakery for about $1.00 or less per cupcake)

good luck finding new cakes girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards