New York-Western
Options

Bridal Shower Etiquette

OK so I've heard mixed opinions from my family and friends but who is supposed to throw the bridal shower? The bridesmaids or the bride's family?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal Shower Etiquette

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It used to be that the Bride's Family was bad etiquette because a gift to the Bride was a gift to the whole family.  Obviously today that's not so much an issue.

So I would say that in today's world, it would be whoever offers.
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is kind of dead set on not throwing it. She said it's not fair that they have to pay for the whole wedding AND the bridal shower. How do I ask my bridesmaids to throw it for me? Or do I even ask?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    StephyD216StephyD216 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think either is "wrong", but it seems like its more common to see the bride's family (primarily mother) put on the shower... bridesmaids still play a big role in planning and helping. I'd have to agree- it's whoever offers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest

image140 Invited
    image107 Ready to Party
    image33 Missing Out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree..whoever offers.  My bridesmaids were also cousins so they helped throw it but they're both in college and didn't have the money to pay for it either.  My family threw it together including my grandma, aunt (godmother), 2 cousins who were bridesmaids/MOH, and my mom.  It's hard to expect your bridesmaids to pay for it all, especially if they can't or if there are few of them.  They should definitely help with it though.  I think it's whoever is comfortable (and offers!). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You really shouldn't *ask* your bridesmaids to throw it for you.

ETA: Or tell.  That would be far ruder.
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it just really depends on your individual situation and closeness w/ your family, your bridesmaids, and your fiance's family.  I am very close with my fiance's mother, and she ended up throwing me a shower with my fiance's sister and cousin's help (two of my bridesmaids).  So honestly it really can be anyone close to you, and it doesn't hurt to bring up the idea with people you trust and care about, get their feel on it, see how they respond.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BM's and MOH (sis) threw my bridal shower that was this past Saturday...this Saturday is one by both sides of the family...several of his sisters, both my sisters and my mom.  Totally depends on your situation!
  • Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom,aunt,gma threw me one for my side and his SIL/mom threw me one for his side. My BM threw me a Bach Party.

You don't ask for a shower someone offers to throw one for you.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    either one or sometimes both, i was my sisters moh and her sister(obviously, lol) so in that case both, and the other side threw her one too, and then the same for me, in addition my co-workers had a co-ed one for me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards