New York-Western

Need Opinions!! Please help!

Hi ladies!! So I need opinons.  We have booked our reception at The Pearl Street Grill!! I have heard such great reviews about it and loved the building and brick walls.  While choosing the menu my fiance and I love the Award Winning Beer Braised Pot Roast and the Canal Street Chicken Smothered with Carmelized Onions, Cheddar Cheese and Stout BBQ sauce.  These would be the two choices for the guests and then we would have smashed potatoes.  After standing back and looking at it my fiance thinks it all sounds to casual.  Like something you would have at a home cooked meal.  I kind of like that it has that feeling.  So now we were thinking about switching to a Sausage sage stuffed chicken and the filet mignon with roasted potatoes.  I like that the first choices we had were special and different.  So my question to you is what is your opinion? To casual sounding? What would be your thoughts if you had these options on an invitation?  Any advice or words of wisdom would be extremely helpful!

Re: Need Opinions!! Please help!

• edited December 2011
    Personally, I would prefer the second options but that's just my preference in food. If you like the idea of more homey, casual food then I say go for it. It's your wedding!
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no right or wrong when choosing your menu. Both meals sounds so good. I would stick with your first options. If you are worried people will think the wedding is more causal dress up your invites. Also another thought a lot of people who would choose chicken over beef will not enjoy that there chicken is stuff with sausage. I know a lot of people really don't care for sausage. So if you do change the beefs I would think twice about changing the chicken. Good luck and let us know what you decide,
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • shugameganshugamegan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the Pot Roast at Pearl Street! 

I wouldn't change it. You can get a filet anywhere. Their pot poast is one of their dishes they are known for and you can't get that anywhere else. 

146 Invitedimage 84 Attendingimage 11 Declinedimage 51 Apparently can't read the RSVP dateimage RSVP Date Sept. 1 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having our reception at Pearl Street too. We chose the Seneca Street buffet. The pot roast, chicken, bow tie pasta, I think a veggie and potatoes. I thought it might be too casual at first too. But its delicious! That's what people will remember. I don't think anyone cares how fancy a dinner is, as long as it tastes good.
    I'm sure the stuffed chicken and filet would be deliious as well (we didn't try those) but I don't think it's neccessary to change.

• gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the smahsed potatoes are awesome...one of my favorites.

Who cares if it sounds casual or not --- as long as your guests enjoy it!
  • edited December 2011
    You're having a sit down meal, which in and of itself is more formal, so I would go with whatever meal choice you like best.  As PP said if you want to give an impression of a more formal affair, make sure your invitations are more formal looking.  

Our wedding was at Pearl Street, and they did a wonderful job.  Don't forget to include a vegetarian option on the menu.  My DH and I are vegetarians so we had 2 vegetarian options (butternut squash ravioli and tempeh stuffed peppers), and one meat option (the stuffed chicken actually).
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think whether you are having a sit down dinner or a buffet, you should still stick with the food you enjoy the most.  If I went to a sit down reception and had pot roast I would still find it very formal simply because of the presentation.

Along with others here, I too am having my wedding/reception at Pearl Street Grill and we have chosen the Seneca Street buffet which a prev post has already explained (includes their pot roast).  I LOVE it, it's very lean, flavorful, and NOT cheap or too basic in my opinion, you're at a brewery already lol...keep with the theme I say :-p  Aaanyway, whatever you choose I'm sure it will be great, all of their food and beer is amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards