Canada-Alberta

Requesting Money for a Wedding Gift

My fiance and I moved into a brand new house just over a year ago. Everything inside and outside the house is brand new thus, we do not need any household items that you would typically recieve as a wedding gift. We have always had a travel fund and we were hoping to add to it in order to have an amazing European honeymoon. Does anyone have any sugguestions on how to politley ask for money instead of a gift for the speacial day?

Re: Requesting Money for a Wedding Gift

• edited December 2011
    Its not polite to 'ask' for money, but the best thing, I think, to do is have your family/wedding party spread it through word of mouth when people ask what you want.
  • wadingmoosewadingmoose member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, tell your family and close friends and let it get spread by word of mouth.  And realize that some people will still buy gifts.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • cmartin21cmartin21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could also set ap a ' money tree' fashionably at your reception. Just make sure its not the hightlight of the area, keep it off to the side and maybe place some envelopes and nice pens near it. try googling money tree there are lots of great ideas. we may go that route too as we need money for a d.p on a house
  • edited December 2011
    ....or you could register your honeymoon.  There are these website that you can set up to have people either contribute to the actual honeymoon cost or pay for activities. For example,  if you were going to let's say Paris somebody could buy you tickets to go up the eiffel tower.  I bet if you searched honeymoon registry in google you would get more info but for starters.....www.honeymoon-registry.ca
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance's friend had printed "Presentation Preferred" in her wedding invitations. We didn't understand what this meant, but eventually learned it meant they only wanted money, not gifts. They had eloped to Cuba and had the reception in her hometown in Manitoba, but were living in Toronto - it was very impractical for them to fly a bunch of gifts back to T.O. That said, every etiquette article/wedding planner I read says it's taboo to mention gifts or a gift registry at all with the invitation. And here's my question: pretty much EVERY wedding I've been invited to has the registry cards/infomation included in the envelope with the invitation. What are you all doing with yours? Does everyone include registry info, or does anyone still let information get around by word of mouth? I'm torn about what to do when I get to that part of my wedding plans.
  • edited December 2011
    My Fiance and I live together this is what we worded on our invitation.  It's not rude to ask your friends and family to give you money instead of a gift.  The majority of our family and friends know our situation.  We are saving for a down payment on a house.  Hope this helps!

Your  presence at our  wedding is  present enough.  But if we're

honored with a gift from you, may we respectfully request a gift of money to help us buy our first home.           

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards