Canada-Alberta
Options

Getting a friend to do the ceremony.

Since we are having a very small wedding we would like to get a friend to perform it. I was wondering where in the city I would go to ask about that. A registry place, city hall, a church? I know that he can do it online but he was hoping to be able to get a temporary license from the city. We live in Red Deer. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA
Photobucket

Re: Getting a friend to do the ceremony.

• Options
    wadingmoosewadingmoose member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely ask at the registry office.  I'm not sure that online ordinations are accepted in Alberta, but they would know.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi TIA- In short, you can't. Alberta changed its law recently to only grant temporary marriage licenses to judges, and former and present governmant officials. I *think* there's a way around that involves getting ordained online, but your friend would then have to register with the province of Alberta as a member of that church and pay a fee- provided the online church is recognized by the province. You're just better off hiring someone to do it. Only having an online ordaination doesn't give anyone the right to perform marriages. Your union won't be recognized as a legal union. Be careful and always double check with the registry office! Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards