Canada-Alberta

no florist in town?

So I am having a bit of a dilemma.  I am having a destination wedding of sorts in Golden, B.C. (for those of you who have never heard of it, Golden is a small mountain town 6 hours from Edmonton, which is where I live).  Unfortunately Golden does not have a florist.  On occasion the local grocery store sells flowers but this is irregular and they do not guarantee that they will have any flowers at the time of my wedding (July 2, 2011).  From what I can tell, the nearest town with a florist is Banff, 140 km away.  The nearest big city (with many florist options) is Calgary, at 170 km away.  I really have my heart set on fresh flowers but I'm not sure what to do to get them. 

Do you think I could pick up the flowers for the wedding the day before and have them last into the evening of my wedding day?  I'm mostly concerned about driving in a hot car with them and what to do with them once I get them to my destination - I doubt I'd have a big enough fridge to store them in overnight.

Any suggestions on florists or how to go about this??

Re: no florist in town?

• meaghan333meaghan333 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into the idea of potted plants?  They might be easier to get to Golden, and you could turn them into cool centerpieces the morning of.  We have been playing around with the idea of growing our own Gerber's for centerpieces, because they're easy to find at garden center's in Edmonton.

You could also look around for at-home-businesses in Golden- there just might be a florist who works out of their home.  Or perhaps there's a farmer's market in the area, and you could stock up on something in season, like sunflowers, and use those?

And if all else fails- you could try driving around with the cut flowers you plan on using in your car, and see how they're holding up by the next day.  I'm sure that a good florist could give you some suggestions of hardier flowers that might make it.

Good luck!
  • trishinbanfftrishinbanff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found this one in Golden:
    Flowers from Home
    (250) 344-5855

If you get the flowers in Edmonton you could put them in a cooler to transport them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    you can get some sent by costco check it out on their website - they have packages and stuff that they deliver - not sure if they deliver out there but worth a try
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks mrs. jesse - we actually asked our photographer for recommendations and he gave us one from Revelstoke - so I guess it pays to use your vendors to find other vendors!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards