July 2012 Weddings
Options

Teacher Trying to Plan Wedding This Summer!

Hi ladies!

I want your opinion.

I just finished my M.Ed. and am starting a teaching job at a charter school this July.  I have been told to expect 12 hour work days at least at the beginning of the year.  Teachers must be in by 7:15am and need to stay until at least 5pm (but often stay longer and arrive earlier).  I am SO excited and thankful to have a job in education right now, but it will probably leave little time for wedding planning.

My plan is to try to plan as much as I can for the wedding THIS summer.  Right now I have off until my job starts in July, so it seems like the perfect time to get things rolling.  Even making decisions on centerpieces, etc may save me a lot of stress in the coming year.

We have already:
- Booked our church and contacted the priest
- Set up our wedding website with as much info as possible (out of town wedding)
- Set up registries (I realize that some items will be discontinued by then... this process has taken us a while...)

Next on the list is booking the reception venue!  ASAP!  But I would like to get details ironed out.

Do you think this is a good idea?  Do you think it is too soon to plan?  What things are you ladies starting to plan right now?
Visit The Nest! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Teacher Trying to Plan Wedding This Summer!

• Options
    Not too soon at all.  Most ladies on here already have the big stuff (Venues, Photographers, DJ, Officiant) out of the way.  Whatever you can get done ASAP is a good thing so you won't stress out later!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    Well a lot of us already have the photographer, dj, ceremony and reception sites already booked.  Some still have a few of those to do.  (I still have the DJ, baker and florist to book).

I think you need to be focusing more on where you're going to have your reception before you plan the little details like centerpieces.  Some places have restrictions on what you can have and what you can't.  So knowing those ahead of time should help you with the smaller details. 

I think planning the sooner the better.  The details you're able to space out a little bit more.  The major things (stated above) you'll want to book ASAP just because some areas of the US book faster than others..especially for summer weddings!

GL!  Don't hesitate to ask for help or opinions!! =)  Congrats on your engagement and job!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_teacher-trying-plan-wedding-this-summer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a5b98635-7643-40df-af66-f7fcb8f7f84ePost:c92c3097-177b-415f-bc82-c851d5ab4b71">Teacher Trying to Plan Wedding This Summer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies! I want your opinion. I just finished my M.Ed. and am starting a teaching job at a charter school this July.  I have been told to expect 12 hour work days at least at the beginning of the year.  Teachers must be in by 7:15am and need to stay until at least 5pm (but often stay longer and arrive earlier).  I am SO excited and thankful to have a job in education right now, but it will probably leave little time for wedding planning. My plan is to try to plan as much as I can for the wedding THIS summer.  Right now I have off until my job starts in July, so it seems like the perfect time to get things rolling.  Even making decisions on centerpieces, etc may save me a lot of stress in the coming year. We have already: - Booked our church and contacted the priest - Set up our wedding website with as much info as possible (out of town wedding) - Set up registries (I realize that some items will be discontinued by then... this process has taken us a while...) Next on the list is booking the reception venue!  ASAP!  But I would like to get details ironed out. Do you think this is a good idea?  Do you think it is too soon to plan?  What things are you ladies starting to plan right now?
    Posted by cas209[/QUOTE]

welcome I am a Jersey bride too.  Are you getting married in Jersey?  If so it is definitely not too early too book a lot of people book a year out and if you already have the churched book you want to make sure to be able to get the venue you want on that specific date.

I already have the following booked: venue, dj, florist, photographer, limos

Good luck!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Oh gosh no it is not too early to plan! I have my venue (ceremony and reception in same place), photographer, dress, and florist picked out. Next is on to the cake baker. I am all for the sooner the better, but I definitely agree with littlemoments that you should get your reception venue booked before you focus on anything else. Your ideas for centerpieces, and possibly other things, might completely change depending on where you book. Good luck! Let us know how your plans come along!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I am a teacher as well, and I have been planning since I got engaged in November.  So far I have booked the venue, DJ, a photgrapher, videographer, florist, photobooth, and hair/makeup people.  I tried to book early to get the people/places I wanted, and so I am not stressed about it later on.

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm also a teacher (as is my fiancé), and during the school year, we're always crazybusy, so we're doing as much as we can this summer.  So far, we have our ceremony and reception sites booked, our officiant and wedding parties in place, and we're finalizing our photographer.

I am counting on this summer for dress-hunting, bridesmaids' dress shopping, tastings and menu/cake arrangements, and lining up the florist and videographer.  We'll probably do our engagement shoot over the summer too.  There just won't be time for stuff like that once school starts up again in August.

We are looking forward to always having our anniversary be a "no school" day!

Good luck with your planning and with the end of the school year!

:)
  • Options
    I never thought about the fact that I will usually not have school on our anniversary!  Another good reason for doing a summer wedding! :-D
    Visit The Nest! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards