Maryland

Is anyone else thinking about having a 2-year engagement?????

Hello everyone, I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on 2 year engagement? Personally I wanted about 1 yr and half, while my fiance prefers two years. That doesnt sound like to much of a difference, but for me it seems like ages away..I am finishing my masters this May 2012 and it would be nice to truly enjoy life after grad school, but idk. He figures that by waiting alittle longer then we can pretty much focus on having the wedding EXACTLY the way that we want it, while also enjoying being engaged. Did anyone else have a two year engagement? If so what was your experience like with waiting??

Re: Is anyone else thinking about having a 2-year engagement?????

• edited March 2012

Depends if you're paying or not.  If you are, 2 years is very normal and a good thing to do to save up!  If your family is footing the bill I personally think it’s a bit odd, why get engaged now if you don't want to get married yet?  Makes me raise an eyebrow, that’s all.  If you have a legitimate reason other than we just don't want to yet then there is nothing odd about it, more info? Also, how would not being married enable you to "truly enjoy life after grad school"?? I would think it would make it more enjoyable to be married to the one you love.  My FI and I are both still in grad school (waited a few years to go back) and we are having an 8 month engagment. 

Regardless or mine or anyone else opinions though you should go with what feels right for both of you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes we would definately be paying for the wedding ourselves, and it would be nice to save as much as possible. What I meant by enjoying life after graduation is being in such a rigorous masters program it would be good to truly enjoy the summer stress free and then in the fall start the "true planning". And of course its very enjoyable to be getting married to my best friend, but it makes it even better when school is not in the way or a factor. Im extremely excited about it all, but just want to be sure that we both get what we want.  But your right its about what feels right for us, but its always good to hear how others are doing it! Thanks for the feedback.
  • If you want to wait until fall to plan, 2 years is perfect.  I am assuming you are talking about spring-summer of 2014?  Basically this is exactly my timeline.  I was engaged last February and we are getting married next june, so a 28 month engagement lol.  The reason was saving up.  We needed to be able to openly talk about the specifics other than, oh yea we want to get married.  I didn't feel comfortable talking about budget, timing, etc. without a ring on my finger.  So once he popped the question, we finally discussed all those things, particularly the budget.  Then we figured out how long it would take to save up that kind of money, we determined 1.5 years which would put us at this fall.  BUT that was out of the question because he hunts and well, I don't want him forgetting all our anniversaries and complaining about having it during hunting season.  So the next option was the following Spring/Summer.  

I booked my venue last August (with the caterer and church too) to book our date for June 2013.  This is still early, but most girls on our board booked late fall and through most of winter without difficulties (would be you next year).  Many new girls are waiting until now to start and are finding that their dates are all booked up and they have limited options for photographers or whatever since everyone now is looking at 2013, especially May, June, and October.  it's SWEET to not have to worry about all that and basically have first pick of whatever I want.

Long story short, it is a huge advantage, gives you plenty of time to save and plan.  It is the smart thing to do, not the easy thing to do.  But I am a fan of making rational decisions rather than "but I don't wanna wait that long" cuz well, I don't haha.  But to be honest this last year already seems to have flown by, in like two weeks I will officially be halfway between engagement and wedding :-)

Plus you can change your mind on colors 20 times and it won't even matter yet :-p
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • by the time fi and i get married it will be 2.5 years. We wanted a year of just living together, before we started the planning. It became longer than just a year because we decided to buy a house, so it was more like a year and a half before we started to plan.
    we are also paying for the wedding so it gives us more time to save.
    good luck in all your planning!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't think it's a problem or "weird" at all.  I don't think there should be a time limit on being engaged. I think you should enjoy it and then you have lots of time to save and plan.  My fiance and I have been dating for 4 years and we will have been engaged 2 years by the time we get married.  I don't see how or why it matters. If he's the right one, you guys will be together forever, no matter if you're dating, engaged or married! Enjoy!! And have fun planning!
  • Mine feels like it has ended up that way! So many decisions!!! Lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards