Maryland

Has anybody had or been to a wedding at one of these locations?

I have made appointments to go and see them, but I want other brides/ guests opinions if any on these locations. Thanks guts!

-Grimacy Manor
-Eastern Yaht Club
-Cloister's Castler
-1840's Ballroom
- Overhills Catering Mansion
- Kurtz Beach
- Baltimore Aquarium
- Baltimore Zoo
- Mountain Branch Golf Resort
- Chase Court

Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Has anybody had or been to a wedding at one of these locations?

• LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Grammercy Mansion- There as a wedding guest. Absolutely beautiful gardens for a ceremony, great interior and exterior photo spots, decent parking situation, friendly staff
    Overhills- There for a work holiday party. Nice looking, but nothing breathtaking, decent parking situation, mediocre food, decent staff
    Kurtz Beach- There as a wedding guest. Very nice water view, no good indoor photo spots for a rain plan, can be quite breezy outside, plenty of parking, mediocre food, decent staff

Your list is kinda all over the place. I would encourage you to really nail down your vision and decide how you want the day to feel before you start visiting venues.

You also really need to nail down your budget. The $$ difference between someplace like The Cloisters and some place like Overhills is pretty big. It's like dress shopping- you don't want to fall in love with something that you can't afford. Now maybe I am off base, you can perfectly well afford the high priced places but still want to see what the cheaper ones have to offer. If that is the case, then more power to you! I would just hate to see a bride get her hopes up to have them dashed. Eyes wide open, ya know?
  • Grammercy - been there as a wedding guest.  Unfortunately it poured that day so they had to move the ceremony on the enclosed porch area (also where dinner was served) so it was a bit of tight squeeze.  Another thing was that everything was separated, such as the tables/dinner was on the enclosed porch, while the DJ and dancing were in another room, while the buffet was in another room and the cake was in yet another.

Mountain Branch - been there as a vendor (florist).  The semi-permanent tent is your typical white tent with, I believe a chandelier hanging from the middle.  It is air conditioned/heated so that is nice.  The ceremony typically takes place on the outside patio right near the tent overlooking one of the golf holes.  Not really sure what they do about a plan b if it rains though.  They also have an inside dining room if you are having a smaller party.

I would take the advice of PP and realy nail down a budget before you even start looking at any of these places.  You certainly don't want to fall in love with a place and then realize you can't afford it.  Also, think about how you want your wedding to be because you have a lot of different type of venues on your list.

• I appreciate all your guys help. My budget is at most $22000 but I would much prefer not spend that unless I have to. I don't believe you need to spend that much to have a beautiful wedding, but if it comes down to it I will.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_has-anybody-had-or-been-to-a-wedding-at-one-of-these-locations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:627Discussion:6aec6db9-8ca6-4702-8dae-8ecb6ab79fcfPost:2c6bf45a-e05a-4640-b17e-2ba1049d5801">Re: Has anybody had or been to a wedding at one of these locations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I appreciate all your guys help. My budget is at most $22000 but I would much prefer not spend that unless I have to. I don't believe you need to spend that much to have a beautiful wedding, but if it comes down to it I will.
    Posted by kimjean127[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to say that your $22k will spend VERY quickly. If you really want one of the higher end venues you listed, keep an open mind about your date. Having a weeknight wedding or a January wedding is a great way to get a premium venue for a reasonable budget price.
  • I'm having my reception at Gramercy Mansion in the Carriage House (it's cheaper than the actual mansion itself). We are spending about $24K on our wedding, honeymoon included. While PP is correct that the money definitely goes fast, I thought I'd pipe up and say that your budget is definitely doable. One thing I'd suggest is to mentally set your budget at something like $18K, though. Tips, expenses you may not think of or may not decide you want until later like professional hair/makeup, cake topper, wedding night room, etc. add up and it's handy to have a cushion.

Some of the things we are doing: limo rental from Groupon to go from ceremony to reception (we weren't planning on a getaway vehicle at all, but now we're getting two limos for under $400)
    You can get a really lovely hairstyle done at a simple salon. I asked at the Hair Cuttery in Annapolis and found someone with a talent for updos who has promised to come in on my wedding day especially to do my hair. Cost of trial plus wedding day is $120 (not including her tip)
    Mani-pedis from Groupon
    We are DIYing our centerpieces. Pumpkins carved with our initials or painted white and stamped with curlicue designs + about 8 votive candles per 10-person table comes to about $25. A flower arrangement would be easily twice that, and likely more.

Congratulations, and best of luck in planning!
  • RE: Mountain Branch

MB will require a minimum of 130 guests at at least $80/pp. That's $10,400 right there, but includes ceremony site, reception site, chairs, tables, linens (not chair covers) food (basic option is $80/pp) full open bar for 5 hours and a cake voucher from Yia Yia's. If you have less than 130, you can use the leftover $$$$ from the $10,400 and spend it on extras (like an extra hour, upgrades to the food, late night munchies, etc.)

Our budget is ~25k  for 100-115 guests and MB was a perfect fit for us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards