Maryland
Options

Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?

Hello all!  I'm newly engaged and just delving into planning this thing... I'm looking for outdoor wedding site suggestions.  My fiancee said there are beautiful places in the Annapolis and Pasadena areas but (of course) he does not know details.  We're looking for a place where we could either get married on the beach or next to the beach looking at the water.  I'd prefer Annapolis or Pasadena to the eastern shore because I think it's prettier... am I wrong on this?

Did anyone already get married or is getting married soon at an outdoor wedding in Annapolis?  

We've also considered the Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore, I love the idea of getting married in the garden/sculpture barn area.  But my fiancee is not impressed with the garden.  Has anyone gotten married here?  What was your experience with the garden?  Will it really be big enough for 80-ish people because I do remember it being small...

Sorry to write a book and be all over the place... just trying to consider everything... thanks for any help in advance :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't count out the Eastern Shore.  We're getting married at Silver Swan Bayside on Kent Island (about 5 miles south of Rt 50) and it is beautiful-even has it's own private little beach.  One thing to think about is budget.  Generally, the traditional wedding venues on the water tend to be a little higher.  However, if you're working in a tight budget and your small guest list, you could look into renting space at a park.

My fiance and I looked into just about every waterfront venue-either just contacting them on visiting them.  The rest were either too much $$, or just not right for some other reason.  SSB was perfect that it has an outdoor ceremony spcae (with a not so bad rain back-up).  It was big enough for 100ppl but still felt very cozy.  Plus, it was more reasonably priced than the other nearby venues (note-when we booked, April was considered off-season to them so that saved us a little).

One last thing about what is prettier...the first venue we looked at was Celebrations on the Bay in Pasadena.  It was nice, but the view across the water wasn't-you could see a lot of commerical shipping stuff across the way.  Not super important, but we've definitely found a better view on the other side of the bridge.

Just some stuff for you to ponder.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    jenn&chadjenn&chad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good information - thanks!  And I do want to consider everything so I think I'll wait until after I start visiting to narrow it down.  

Right after I posted I came upon the Philip Merrill Environmental Center in Annapolis!  I'm concerned about their prices because it looks amazing.  Did you check out this venue?  I emailed them and I'm really excited to hear back.  

Wow I just checked out the Silver Swan Bayside and it is beautiful.  I am calling them now!  It sounds like you had a good experience there?  Are there hotels nearby and did you guys use shuttles (this may be getting ahead of myself - I'm just getting excited!) Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    soccerella7soccerella7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the environmental center isnt taking any bookings for this year, just so you know :)  dont know when you are looking to get married but hought I would let you know
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married at Celebrations at the Bay in Pasadena, and it was beautiful.  We didn't notice any issues with the view across the water and neither did our guests, but everyone is different.  I also liked Herrington on the Bay based on pictures online and reviews, but we didn't actually visit it since we'd already decided on Celebrations.

Both appealed to us because they were one-stop-shopping kind of venues, so we dind't have as much to worry about while planning.  The downside is that if you're planning on saving money by doing a lot of DIY, there's less options for that.

ETA: I just looked through our pictures (even the ones not in the link in my signature), and I can't see anything across the water.  Even if it was there, it certainly wasn't noticeable and our photographer was obviously able to work with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LauraT-Good to know.  The view stuck out in my mind, I don't know why.  Maybe it was after I heard the price tag ;) 

Jenn&Chad-Celebrations is definitely a good choice if you don't want to seek out as many vendors, because they do include the cake, linens, and all catering.  SSB  has everything except the cake.  As for hotels, the closest ones are about 15min away on Kent Narrows, and that is what we will probably recommend (we haven't gotten married yet).  I don't know if we'll offer shuttles or not, just have to see if we have it in the budget.  I did look into the Phillip Merrill Center as well.  If you want to get your hands into booking every single vendor, that is a good way to go.  You could offset the price of the site by chosing a reasonably priced caterer.  The venue was beautiful.  Make a list of all these places (plus there's more) and you'll have to take a couple weekends and visit to see what works for you.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did read that the Philip Merrill Environmental Center isn't available until 2012 - what a bummer.  I definitely want to visit anyway and if we absolutely love it, we may consider getting married next year.  I asked in my email if we're able to see the space while it's under construction; haven't heard back yet.  I'll let you all know in case anyone else is considering it. 

Thanks for the info on Celebrations, what a beautiful picture!!... I am adding them to the list of venues to visit.  Currently I'm living in Houston, TX so I'm trying to do as much pre-planning as possible before we visit.  Thank you all so much for the help!!!!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kudos for planning from so far away - that has to be tough!

PP's post reminded me, if you're looking for something on the water that's a little more budget-friendly, I know that Kurtz's Beach offers a variety of catering options at different price points, so they are more flexible than Celebrations and Herrington.  I haven't been there, so I can't vouch for anything beyond the pictures on the website, but it's literally down the road from Celebrations so you might want to check them out if you decide to visit Celebrations.  I know I've seen them mentioned before on the Baltimore local board.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can also try Historic Londontown and Gardens.  We will be married here this spring. 

http://www.historiclondontown.org/index.php/weddings-a-rentals

You can also try Quiet Waters park.  They also have locations on the water. 

http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/parks/quietwaters/weddings.cfm
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hgiusti: Historic Londontown looks really pretty, of course now I have questions! :)  Do they rent you the space and you book everything else separately?  Do you know if it's less expensive than Silver Swan?  I was trying to go to their facebook page to see more pics but the pics won't load.  From the few pics on their site it does look more rustic-beachy, which I love. 

I'm guessing that this depends on circumstances and vendors, but in general is it more affordable to book the vendors individually or go with a package deal?  I just got prices back from Silver Swan and they are higher than I thought but the food and location does look amazing.  I'm going to call them today and see if they are flexible on a few things...

I know that it's working against me price-wise that I'm looking to get married on a Saturday night in Sept...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_outdoor-wedding-venue-ideas-annapolis-pasadena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:627Discussion:ccde58af-79b0-478f-af52-22a45626fcf3Post:b84c1e81-117b-4fdb-9b6a-010d94ac6b75">Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm guessing that this depends on circumstances and vendors, but in general is it more affordable to book the vendors individually or go with a package deal?  I just got prices back from Silver Swan and they are higher than I thought but the food and location does look amazing.  I'm going to call them today and see if they are flexible on a few things... I know that it's working against me price-wise that I'm looking to get married on a Saturday night in Sept...
    Posted by jenn&chad[/QUOTE]

From the venues I looked at, it seemed like it was a little tougher to save money if you did a package deal.  You don't have the option to skip certain parts of the meal, shop around for a caterer, save on a cheaper baker, etc.  However, if you were to book all the vendors separately and still do all of the same fancy details, I think it's more expensive.  I know that if we did everything on our own for our wedding exaclty the same, it would have cost more, but had we done it on our own we probably would have skimped in some areas like chairs, linens, etc. 

It's also really difficult to plan long distance, and finding the lowest prices also requires a lot of legwork so there's a time vs cost tradeoff, and you may not be able to find all the great deals from Houston.
  • Options
    Kerry9703Kerry9703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also getting married at londontown this summer... they book one wedding per day so you are the only event. I am doing a Friday night (which is $3500 compared to $5000 for a Saturday). I get the whole property from 3pm-12am (But catering sets up for 2 hrs). There is a new bridal room which I haven't seen yet. They don't have a beach but they have a dock that is perfect for pictures, and the ceremony site overlooks the water. We booked this venue after seeing it on a rainy day! They have a tent that is always up from March-Oct or Nov I think, and an indoor space that is neutral wood and big windows. I love it... there are a couple downsides- the spaces are kind of separated- a lot of couples host dinner in the tent and dancing inside which makes for 2 different spaces (I prefer the dance floor & dining to be in one area). Also it is in a residential town so music outside has to end at 10, but this isn't a problem if you are keeping the dancing inside. These are the only downsides I saw, I would say go check it out!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info LauraT, I guess I'll have to shop around.  I am definitely aware of the time vs cost factor.  My fiancee and I already decided that we are going to be able to do almost nothing DIY because we're so far away and if we made something here there would be the problem of transporting it there etc.  So it looks like our best bet is to get the best prices...

Kerry: That's so great that the space is yours for so much time!  I'm excited to hear back from the coordinator.  I left her a message but haven't heard from her; maybe an email is in order.  I wonder if I would be able to do dinner and dancing inside?  That seems like the best option so people don't have to move.  

FYI: just in case anyone else's wedding is under 100 people, Herrington on the Bay said they were flexible about the 100 people minimum requirement, we have 80. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_outdoor-wedding-venue-ideas-annapolis-pasadena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:627Discussion:ccde58af-79b0-478f-af52-22a45626fcf3Post:17b42a2b-f5ab-4ede-85b4-714363313911">Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI: just in case anyone else's wedding is under 100 people, Herrington on the Bay said they were flexible about the 100 people minimum requirement, we have 80. 

Celebrations gave us an 80-person minimum too.  When they said the minimum was 100, I said, "Oh we were thinking more like 80..." I was thinking to myself that we'd just have to invite more people, but they immediately jumped in with, "Okay, we can do that."  It was a relief.  Definitely good to ask wherever you're looking!
  • Options
    blinkybeerblinkybeer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_outdoor-wedding-venue-ideas-annapolis-pasadena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:627Discussion:ccde58af-79b0-478f-af52-22a45626fcf3Post:17b42a2b-f5ab-4ede-85b4-714363313911">Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the info LauraT, I guess I'll have to shop around.  I am definitely aware of the time vs cost factor.  My fiancee and I already decided that we are going to be able to do almost nothing DIY because we're so far away and if we made something here there would be the problem of transporting it there etc.  So it looks like our best bet is to get the best prices... Kerry: That's so great that the space is yours for so much time!  I'm excited to hear back from the coordinator.  I left her a message but haven't heard from her; maybe an email is in order.  I wonder if I would be able to do dinner and dancing inside?  That seems like the best option so people don't have to move.   FYI: just in case anyone else's wedding is under 100 people, Herrington on the Bay said they were flexible about the 100 people minimum requirement, we have 80. 

That is true of them being flexible for 80 people, but YOU still pay that 100 person minimum price.   
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum? : That is true of them being flexible for 80 people, but YOU still pay that 100 person minimum price.   
    Posted by blinkybeer[/QUOTE]

Right, I assumed you would still pay the same price to rent the space (since you still get the same amount of space) but the food costs will be lower than if you had 100. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_outdoor-wedding-venue-ideas-annapolis-pasadena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:627Discussion:ccde58af-79b0-478f-af52-22a45626fcf3Post:d5c45c63-6eb8-4b8f-ab78-0f0d6cbeda82">Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum? : That is true of them being flexible for 80 people, but YOU still pay that 100 person minimum price.   

Um, no.  That's not true.  I had to have a minimum of 80 people, paying the per person charge for at least 80 adults. 

Edit: I just skimmed your post and thought you were quoting me.  I don't know how the other venue works, so I would make sure to clarify it with them.  But it really doesn't make sense, because the whole idea of a 'minimum' means the minimum number of people that you need to pay for.  Even with a 100-person minimum, you're allowed to have only 80 people show up as long as you paid for 100.  So if they change the minimum, it should mean she has to pay for at least 80 people. 
  • Options
    blinkybeerblinkybeer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah... I don't know about other venues, but for Herrington their price list says 100 minimum.  I am inviting 80 guest, but I still have to meet the 100 minimum for food and beverage.  I think I'm going out there in February to look at the venue.      
  • Options
    Kerry9703Kerry9703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you only have 80 you can probably work it out for london town. I think inside seating is around 80 not including dance space, but assuming you can use the deck and some guests don't show, it's worth checking into!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was under the impression that for the minimums you would still pay the same price to rent the space, but your food/drinks costs per person would be multiplied by 80 people instead of 100.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_outdoor-wedding-venue-ideas-annapolis-pasadena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:627Discussion:ccde58af-79b0-478f-af52-22a45626fcf3Post:0c6b68b6-7112-40e3-8bdc-405e76f0f1f6">Re: Outdoor Wedding - Venues - Annapolis? Pasadena? Visionary Art Museum?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah... I don't know about other venues, but for Herrington their price list says 100 minimum.  I am inviting 80 guest, but I still have to meet the 100 minimum for food and beverage.  I think I'm going out there in February to look at the venue.      

Just ask them.  Like I said, Celebrations listed a minimum of 100 but they had no problem lowering it to 80 for us.  We didn't even have to haggle, they were the ones that brought it up.  It's worth asking, wherever you're looking.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be sure to double check on the minimums.  We just booked our flights, we are visiting venues Feb 11-12!!!!!!  Excuse my excitement but I can hardly contain myself!!!!  A venue AND a dress in one weekend is going to be tough, but hopefully we'll be able to do both.  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Also I'm getting info on Celebrations and the other Catering by Uptown venues; they wanted to mail it rather than email.  But I do plan on checking out all we have discussed :)  I'm so excited to get married. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And I forgot to add thanks again for the help everyone!!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    meesenplacemeesenplace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm not sure where you got the information but my cousin got married at Herrington last September -- she had a small intimate wedding of about 50 guests.  She only paid for the 50 guests -- they didn't charge her for more than that.  They are definitely worth checking out -- the wedding was absolutely beautiful.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks meesenplace, I am visiting all the places mentioned in this thread next weekend.  I'm definitely going to visit Herrington.  I'm just going by what they told my in their email.  They had "100 person minimum" on the information packet they send over, but when I asked them they said they are flexible, if it's 80 or 90 people.  The issue was that we want to get married on a saturday.  I believe the minimums for fridays and sundays were less.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gelly bellygelly belly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Herrington on the Bay. It is awesome, and you have three choices of ceremony and reception places. The price was great too. We first looked at Celebrations but their two wedding sites were so close to each other and very sunny for an 11am wedding. The air conditioning in the tent was also very loud although they said once the dj got going no one would notice Undecided The price has probably gone up from our quote almost two years ago but the price pp was $122.50. You should compare Herrinton and Celebrations to see which one you like more if that was the route you were going. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!
  • Options
    ohkkristaohkkrista member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Celebrations is gorgeous, if you've got a lower budget you could look at Kurtz's Beach as well.
    I'm getting married at the Chesapeake Bay Beach club right over the bay bridge (the very first exit!) and the view is spectacular. I was looking at the Marriott in downtown Annapolis because it faces Ego Alley but the view from the other side was uncomparable.
    27 of 75 Books annnnnnd Wedding Inspiration
    Sept. 2012 - Ceremony Venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well we looked at everything and absolutely loved the Visionary Art Museum the most!!  Silver Swan Bayside was our second favorite, it was beautiful and reminded my fiancee of New England (where he's from).  And the Philip Merrill Environmental Center had a beautiful beach; and the building is just gorgeous with all the windows. 

All things considered the museum seems more our style.  Even though a beachy wedding would be pretty, it seemed kind of generic upon seeing the venues in person.  When I saw the garden space at the museum I realized it was exactly what I had been envisioning all along.  And it's so sentimental for us because he proposed on federal hill (right next to the museum). 

And on sunday I found my dress!!!  Things went so well!!  I'm probably going to eat my words as we start planning more but I really think that sometimes there's so many choices that it's overwhelming and brides make these wedding decisions more complicated than they need to be.  I'm not worried that there's something better out there, we picked what we liked and that's that!  Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LoveHisKissesLoveHisKisses member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked up Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis Maryland? They have two small pavilions on the South River, called the South River Overlook. Its $180 to rent for 2 hours (9am-11am, Noon-2:00pm, 3:00-5pm). Only thing is Max guests is 75 people! The $180 covers the cost of the guests entrance to the park. The only thing is seating. They do NOT allow chairs on the grass only on the brick walk ways!

Its really pretty and its inexpensive. I'm geting married there in 16 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards