Michigan-Northern
Options

Ideas or suggestions please and thanks!!!!!

Ok so I don't want anything too out of the ordinary, however I don't want to get married or have our reception at any old run of the mill KofC hall.  It's just not us.   
We live in northern Michigan and I'm having the hardest time finding a place that is more unique or that we could make unique to our tastes.  It's even more the fact that we are really trying to find something affordable!  

We want to stay in the Petosley, Harbor Springs or Charlevoix area (please don't reccommend Castle Farms)  where we can bring in our own caterers as my fiances father owns a catering company and will save us a ton!

I guess my big question  is and I apologize if you see this post in another forum topic but I don't know where to post it....  Anyway I am just curious as if any of you out there know of any really neat places that allow offsite catering but aren't so expensive we can't afford anything else!  Indoors or out.  No churches necessary.  

Thanks so much!

Re: Ideas or suggestions please and thanks!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Is bringing your own caterer a must? The Perry hotel is amazing venue, not sure if its in your budget... we went there to book a few weeks ago and are really thinking about it... I just fell in love with it.

Are you opposed to doing a large tent?? This is going to sound completely weird, do you know anyone that has a boat slip up there that could rent out the harbor house? It would def. be different, and if you like the water it would be perfect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into doing it at the county fairgrounds? I know what you're thinking -- kinda gross, BUT, the Emmet/Charlevoix County fairgrounds in Petoskey have been recently redone. The outside of the buildings (the Community Center is best) looks great, and it has a totally blank slate on the inside that you could decorate to your taste. It's inexpensive AND has a kitchen for your caterer. Plus bathrooms and a neat (though small) outdoor space.

We looked into doing ours there, but we want to get married smack dab in the middle of summer and our date happened to land right near the fair itself, so that obviously wouldn't work. If you're not looking to do your wedding in July or August, I'd look into it!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend was married last summer at the Convention/Conference Center in Bay Harbor and I thought it was nice. Nothing really fancy on the inside, but similar to the fairgrounds in that you can decorate the room to get many different types of looks depending on your style.  The one thing I didn't like about the fairground is the large garage-style door.  They have it painted on the inside to try to camoflauge it, but I kept noticing it. 

I'm not sure how big your wedding is going to be, but I think this place holds up to 150 people.  They do let you bring in your own caterer. Good luck!!
  • Options
    binnie1binnie1 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    if you would consider the Traverse City/Leelanau County area, there is at least one option that might work for you - Field of Flower farms.  They have a gazebo for the ceremony and a barn for the reception.  Plus, they are also a florist so you could get all your flowers from them.  The barn holds up to 140.  You would have to make arrangments for most supplies, including portable restrooms, tables and chairs, etc.  Christina is the owner and she has a list of recommended vendors too.  She is doing our flowers for our TC wedding.  hope that helps.
  • Options
    I agree with Slipkase, I did my wedding at the fair grounds and it was AMAZING! we did the rustic/romantic theme :) we did our own food and liquor. it was 1,200.00 with 300.00 of it being the deposit, 150.00 for the use of  the kitchen and 150.00 for getting it the day before for decorating- which is HIGHLY worth it! we decorated everything the day before, and even did our rehersal there (as we did our ceremony outside the building) it made the day of go soo smooth knowing everything was done at the hall!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards