Michigan-Northern

Lake Michigan Wedding....beaches and venues??

My fiance and I are planning on a summer 2012 wedding on the beach in Northern MI, preferably on lake michigan. I don't know how many guests I can plan on having, probably between 150-200. So though it won't be small, we definitely want a relaxed vibe, and something that won't be too expensive. The ideal setting to me would be somewhere with a large beach area for the actual ceremony, and a nice hotel nearby or even right on the water that has a banquet room for the reception. I'm not totally against an outdoor reception either, but since I am planning on either June or July of next year, I don't want people to be miserable or uncomfortable in the heat...so it would be better to have an indoor reception with the option to be outside. It would be perfect if I could find a hotel resort somewhere on the north-west side of the state that is right on the beach, that way we don't have to worry about limos, or making guests commute from the ceremony to reception, etc. So far I have been looking into Ludington and Silver lake sand dunes, I wouldn't be opposed to Traverse or Saugatuck either. Does anyone have personal experience with having a beach wedding in northern MI, or have ideas of what is a nice/reasonable place to have one? ANY advice is greatly appreciated it, I just got engaged a few weeks ago and I want to get the ball rolling but I am lost at where to start! Thanks!!

Re: Lake Michigan Wedding....beaches and venues??

• edited December 2011
    If you have a bigger budget Grand Traverse Resort in Traverse City is beautiful and they have a few outdoor ceremony options with indoor reception.

I'm getting married in TC in a month and a half on private property with my reception at Visions at CenterPointe Marina.  So far, the planning with Visions has been great.  If you go to the Traverse City Visitors Bureau website, they list all the beaches in the area.  They also have a wedding guide brochure you can download for free. 

If you are interested in Southwest MIchigan, I have some info on St. Joseph as well.  My fiance lives there and that is almost where we booked our venues.  Hope all this helps!  Feel free to ask any questions, I felt totally lost when I first started planning and looking!  I'll let you know when I get back from my honeymoon how everything in TC went:)
  • edited December 2011
    I got married and had my reception at Portage Point Inn, in Onekama, about an hour north of Ludington.  I posted a review in the review tab a while back.  I loved it there.  Reasonable prices once I negotiated a little and the staff was pretty easy going.  We had our reception outdoors on Portage Lake and reception inside the.  It's worth a look.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks for the info! I did think about St. Joseph, I just started looking at places further north because I figure it might be more convenient for a lot of my guests. TC would be nice, I will definitely look into that website. Thank you so much for the help, hope your day is perfect!
  • enbraunenbraun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The inn at bay harbor is gorgeous and huge.. right on the water and has a super cute little downtown...

It was a little to pricy for me, but may be something for you!

http://www.innatbayharbor.com/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Check out my Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, I've been looking a lot at Visions and I think I might want to book it for my reception. How did yours go? Was the DJ any good?
  • My hubby-to-be lives in Petoskey, right near Bay Harbor and it's beautful! A little pricey, but certainly gorgeous.

Also,.. St.Joseph Michigan is beautiful as well. That's actually where I grew up and it was recently voted the Most Romantic city in Michigan.
    Take my word, the sunsets, beaches and lighthouse make for a picture-perfect wedding day. If you want to get married right on the water, Check out Shadowland Pavilion.

Good luck!
  • I'd like info on SW michigan/ St. Joe area. We're from Indiana and don't want to make everyone travel that much, but have our hearts set on a lake michigan wedding. 
  • I just went to an amazing wedding reception right in Silver lake this past summer! My girl friend said it was super affordable too! She got married at the lighthouse and had her reception under a big white tent at Golden Sands Golf Course! It was right off the fairway so really pretty too. My favorite was dancing under the stars the late night pizza buffet! Our hotel wasn't far away like a mile or 2? but the wedding party stayed right at the course in a huge farm house. Hope you find what you are looking for!
  • My daughter is having her reception at Shadowland Ballroom in August.  We want to have the wedding on the beach by the ballroom.  We are looking for a cheap way to rent chairs, etc. for the beach for the ceremony.  Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards