California-Orange County
Options

Friday weddings?

So... my fiance and I are considering a Friday wedding to cut down on costs. Our budget isn't tiny, but, for OC... it feels that way. Everything is so expensive! Any brides out there that can give a ballpark figure on how much can be saved by doing a Friday wedding? I mean are we talking a potential savings of thousands?  I know I'll learn specifics as I start researching and checking out venues but was just curious...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friday weddings?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were considering this as well! Friday or Sunday that is!
    I just worry about the "Rushed" feeling for everyone!
    Hope you get some more suggestions!
  • Options
    SkiptinkSkiptink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're actually considering a Sunday wedding, primarily because it costs roughly the same as a Friday wedding but without the traffic...
  • Options
    jfletcher3113jfletcher3113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I totally agree about the Friday traffic! I would like a Sunday wedding for that exact reason... unfortunately, we have a specific priest marrying us and he won't do Sundays probably because we can't get into a church that day. I didn't really ask.

I've been looking around a bit and have seen the site fees differ some (about $1,000, on average) but I'm hoping an off-day wedding will also mean cheaper other vendors too...

I definitely have champagne taste on a beer budget.... DIY here I come!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were considering a Friday wedding because it is considerably cheaper (most places we looked at were anywhere from $500 - $1500 cheaper depending on the venue in South County) - but due to logistics, ended up with Sunday evening - total cost for both ceremony and reception site (as they are different locations) is $2000.

The best thing to do is compare prices when you find venues you like and see what each place has to offer; and it never hurts to call the venue and directly ask them if they discount Friday nights. Some places don't list prices on websites, or only list a few packages - so going directly to the source really helps get some concrete numbers and some places will even try to work around your budget (within reason). Good luck!
  • Options
    ms.ritaliums.ritaliu member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a friday wedding primarily to cut costs (our budget was $10k).  Our site rental fee was 3x on the weekend as compared to a weekday (friday included).  So for us, it was a no brainer.  We knew people would be facing traffic, but the way we figured it, those who truly wanted to be there would take time off, and those we truly wanted there (i.e. close family and friends) we knew would be there.   I don't think Friday weddings are bad at all.  

The amount you save, if any, really depends on the venue too.  I ran across a few where it made no difference whether the wedding was a friday, sat., or sunday- while other venues the price difference was thousands.  Good luck!
    ~Rita
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my reception site does not charge a site fee but does have specific day minimums that you have to spend.  That part was good because if we cut the guestlist then our total bill was cheaper!

Los Coyotes in Buena Park is my location.  Beautiful venue (golf course).  Pretty good deals too, packages include cake, linens, etc.  Check it out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try doing it on a Sunday that falls on a 3 day holiday weekend, like Memorial day weekend or Labor day weekend. Those holidays always land on a monday and that way you can have a 3 day weekend wedding celebration. We are having our wedding Sunday of Memorial day weekend and saved over $5000 just doing it on a Sunday!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards