Colorado

honeymoon

Hi Ladies, 

My FI and I are thinking of going to colorado for our honeymoon. We want to hike and go whitewaterrafting( we are beginners ). We are looking for suggestions for which part to stay in that is reasonably priced. :) We will be going in June. Thanks for your help!

Re: honeymoon

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_colorado_honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:632Discussion:53a8e77c-4239-4cde-91c6-d66a78c8451aPost:bca18fd3-d153-424e-86d9-94d934d29347">honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies,    My FI and I are thinking of going to colorado for our honeymoon. We want to hike and go whitewaterrafting( we are beginners ). We are looking for suggestions for which part to stay in that is reasonably priced. :) We will be going in June. Thanks for your help!
    Posted by confusedbride82[/QUOTE]

<div>If you stay near Glenwood Springs, you could do a ton of hiking around there (as well as the Aspen area) and there's rafting there! It's a really pretty area. I believe there is also rafting near Idaho Springs, which would put you closer to Denver. You could lodge in Blackhawk and hike around there -- lots of fun stuff to do. Best wishes with your planning!</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Erin7613Erin7613 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_colorado_honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:632Discussion:53a8e77c-4239-4cde-91c6-d66a78c8451aPost:bca18fd3-d153-424e-86d9-94d934d29347">honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies,    My FI and I are thinking of going to colorado for our honeymoon. We want to hike and go whitewaterrafting( we are beginners ). We are looking for suggestions for which part to stay in that is reasonably priced. :) We will be going in June. Thanks for your help!

<div>You might want to research water levels on the rivers. It sounds complicated, but the people that work at the rafting companies will tell you what is normal. We are in the biggest draught in years! So the will be honest but still want business try to negotiate.</div><div>the flows were really down last year! Remember snow=water in the rivers! we live in denver and fly fish all over Colorado so we are around the rivers all year. This has been the worst winter in 20 years! You may find yourself disappointed this summer. If the flows are low like last summer (they predict we will still be in a draught) you will only hit a few bumps. We had a friend that really wanted to come out and raft so we took him to Buena Vista(3 hrs from denver) and rented "duckies" we got our own wet suites, raft and because the flow was so low we got a guide for us 3 all to ourselves no one else was going that day. We did the half day for about $75 plus they want a tip so be prepared to add 10-20 more per person.</div><div>The people on the large rafts were with us and barely felt the bumps or got wet! so we were better off.</div><div>The earlier in the summer the better for rafting. Be prepared! If you are debating on places in CO gear your trip around hiking, and other activites so you dont get disappointed building your whole trip around it. </div><div>If you want scenic and have a car to rent and drive and you stay in diff towns thru out your trip Canyon city CO has a rafting co called Buffalo Joes they are also in buena vista. on the canyon city tour you float under the royal gorge. Pretty cool! they cook a awesome steak lunch too. The areas around canyon city are wierd and its not a "in the middle of the mountains feel" its more deserty.</div><div>Also, keep in mind the bettle kill! Counties sunch as Grand County got hit the worst! We lot 20 million sq acres to bettle kill and they got hit the worst i.e winter park.</div><div>If you hike you may want to stay toward glenwood springs like the others suggested. Beware of hotels in glenwood they are older. </div><div>Im watching say yes to the dress and rambling.</div><div>I would love to help out I fellow bride so post back if you want more help. I would be happy to help you in any way I can because I love CO and want everyone to see how amazing it is but stay and the places in your budget :)</div><div>Erin</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_colorado_honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:632Discussion:53a8e77c-4239-4cde-91c6-d66a78c8451aPost:bca18fd3-d153-424e-86d9-94d934d29347">honeymoon</a>:

<div>You might want to research water levels on the rivers. It sounds complicated, but the people that work at the rafting companies will tell you what is normal. We are in the biggest draught in years! So the will be honest but still want business try to negotiate.</div><div>the flows were really down last year! Remember snow=water in the rivers! we live in denver and fly fish all over Colorado so we are around the rivers all year. This has been the worst winter in 20 years! You may find yourself disappointed this summer. If the flows are low like last summer (they predict we will still be in a draught) you will only hit a few bumps. We had a friend that really wanted to come out and raft so we took him to Buena Vista(3 hrs from denver) and rented "duckies" we got our own wet suites, raft and because the flow was so low we got a guide for us 3 all to ourselves no one else was going that day. We did the half day for about $75 plus they want a tip so be prepared to add 10-20 more per person.</div><div>The people on the large rafts were with us and barely felt the bumps or got wet! so we were better off.</div><div>The earlier in the summer the better for rafting. Be prepared! If you are debating on places in CO gear your trip around hiking, and other activites so you dont get disappointed building your whole trip around it. </div><div>If you want scenic and have a car to rent and drive and you stay in diff towns thru out your trip Canyon city CO has a rafting co called Buffalo Joes they are also in buena vista. on the canyon city tour you float under the royal gorge. Pretty cool! they cook a awesome steak lunch too. The areas around canyon city are wierd and its not a "in the middle of the mountains feel" its more deserty.</div><div>Also, keep in mind the bettle kill! Counties sunch as Grand County got hit the worst! We lot 20 million sq acres to bettle kill and they got hit the worst i.e winter park.</div><div>If you hike you may want to stay toward glenwood springs like the others suggested. Beware of hotels in glenwood they are older. </div><div>Im watching say yes to the dress and rambling.</div><div>I would love to help out I fellow bride so post back if you want more help. I would be happy to help you in any way I can because I love CO and want everyone to see how amazing it is but stay and the places in your budget :)</div><div>Erin</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • I agree with the last post, last winter and this winter have had record low snow packs which means white water rafting has been pretty much done (for the good fun stuff) by late spring. However, if you are more interested in hiking, I would also like to suggest checking out the telluraide, silverton, durango area (4 corners). My fiance surprised me with a long weekend getaway there several years ago and it was amazing. We stayed in amazing cenutry old hotels, b&b style, hiked to waterfalls, and explored old mining ghost towns. The drive from Telluride, through Ouray, to Silverton along the million dollar highway is breath taking! The most beautifal drive I have ever been on. In silverton, they rent all wheel vehicles so you can climb back in the mountain and explore the old mining encampments. Lots of hiking there too. Only thing is in this area, you are mostly above timberline, so aspen grove picture opportunities aren't readily available. Hope this helps. Hope you do choose to come to colorado. It is just so amazing here! Always something to do no matter when or where!

Congrats and best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards