Colorado

Antique Engagement Rings

My boyfriend and have recently decided that we want to get married after 3 wonderful years of dating.  He wants me to get the ring I especially want, so we are going shopping together starting next weekend.  However, from looking online, and seeing my friend's rings, I've noticed that a lot of modern rings have the diamond sit really far off the hand.  The ring has a tendency to catch on things, hit things, and fall over to the side.  I've always known that I really didn't want this in my engagement ring, that I wanted a center diamond that was low set.  However, this seems to be a tall order as Shane Company or Jared just don't carry that style.  I've found several online (http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2442 or http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=603) but I'm nervous about asking my bf to make such a large purchase over the internet.  Especially if I can't see it on my hand before we buy.

Does anyone have advice for shopping for low-set or antique engagement rings, especially in Colorado?  I've some via Google maps, but they almost never have a website - driving from Arvada to Estes Park, for example, seems really far if they don't even have a great collection.  How do you feel about making large purchases like this online?

Re: Antique Engagement Rings

• samantha bucksamantha buck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the shane company has tons of options, mine actually looks alot like ur second one. its from the shane company.
  • edited December 2011
    Samantha - Sweet! I'm pretty excited to go to Shane Co tomorrow now :)  Thanks for the hope.
  • chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a very similar problem looking for rings....looked for a more vintage style.  I didn't want a ring with a stone that was set high and I also ended up going with a bezel setting with a "halo" of smaller diamonds around it that looks vintage b/c I was afraid of having a "high diamond with prongs that would get caught on things"...I ended up finding the best selection at Trice Jewelers.  (We looked at Shane, Jared, Jewelry Exchange, Kay, Helzberg, a couple of independent places) but I loved Trice.  They worked with my husband's budget and once I found the setting that I liked (the original setting was for a much larger diamond) they actually custom made my ring to look exactly like the "designer" setting but to accommodate the diamond that my husband could afford.  We worked with Kevin & he was awesome!  We ended up getting all 3 of our rings there b/c we were so happy with the way they treated us and worked within our budget without having to compromise on the style/setting that I wanted!

Good luck with your ring shopping...very exciting time!
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • edited December 2011
    My Future Husband also had a wonderful experience at Trice.  I believe he also worked with Kevin to create a custom ring for me that was EXACTLY what I wanted.  His Mom was kind enough to donate one of her diamond rings to be taken apart and then put into the new setting which saved him a ton of dough.  He said that when he was explaining to Trice what I wanted they acted like it was easy peasy and they rushed to get it done for him so that he could propose to me while we were on vacation in Chicago. 

My ring sits extremely low on my finger & I love it.  I haven't taken a proper picture of it yet, but I'm hoping to do that soon and I'll post here if possible.

Have fun shopping for the ring!

ETA: I also remember stopping by Ooh Aah Jewelry with my sister when we were window shopping to find a style I liked and they said that they can also make custom jewelry.  They are a cute store in the Highlands: http://oohaahjewelry.homestead.com/
    I'm a professional wedding photographer who FINALLY got engaged and get to have my own dream wedding:) http://www.apriloharephotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I had never heard of Trice, but we'll definitely go check it out.  I'm personally not a fan of the bezel setting, at least in pictures - we'll see what it looks like on my finger.  I really like a trellis setting, so maybe that would work for me.  How long do custom rings take to make?  We want to get engaged in the next couple weeks (I'm just bursting to tell my family and friends the news!).  I'm so excited to go to Shane Co tonight - boyfriend has bought all my jewelry presents there before and he loves them.  But I want to get the perrrfect ring if I'm going to wear it the rest of my life!
  • edited December 2011
    He just told me that they managed to get the custom made ring done in 2 weeks.  They were rushed but they managed to pull through for us!
    I'm a professional wedding photographer who FINALLY got engaged and get to have my own dream wedding:) http://www.apriloharephotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    My friend just got a really gorgeous antique looking ring and it came from Helzberg. Helper her now FI pick it out.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe
  • edited December 2011
    Black Friday Weekend Bridal Sale in Denver this November 26-28. The event is at the Denver Marriott Tech Center @ 4900 S Syracuse Denver 80237 from 9am - 9pm. We will be showcasing over 500 wedding party and prom gowns and would love to see you there.

Please email me at weddingpartyprom.sale@gmail.com for more information or to RSVP.

Thanks,

Susan Dill
  • edited December 2011
    So - update - I chose a ring!  Believe it or not, I got it from Shane Co.  The ring I choose is not one I would've picked online.  But the more I tried them on, the more I figured out what fit my taste the best.  We went to several jewelers in the area, trying new and estate rings.  For some reason, I always came back to this setting.  It has a low profile, that isn't entirely evident in the pictures, and they are going to set it even lower with my diamond.  Something about this ring I just loved - it wasn't too simple, but it wasn't too ornate.  It goes with fancy attire and casual.  I was nervous about buying white gold, but with Shane Co doing everything for free (cleaning and rhodium plating is free for the life of the ring), I felt ok with it.

http://www.shaneco.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?X=41016629&O=Dept&C0=1&C1=3&S=PA

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nice Pick that BEAUTIFUL! Congrats!!! Happy wedding planning : )
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is mine its from the shane Co : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards