July 2012 Weddings

How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?

I saw in the HM post that a lot of you were waiting for your tax return to book your honeymoon.  We are using our entire tax return for our wedding.  We are getting ours done in 2 weeks I can't wait to see what we get!!
Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?

• We aren't sure. We may use some for the HM and some for the house! I'm just hoping we get some back, though!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yesyesyes!  I'm hoping to pay for FI's wedding band with my tax return.  FI will probably put his away for our honeymoon or house/condo/apartment when we start looking.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Does paying off your Visa or what's on it and then using your visa for whatever expenditures arise for the wedding count? If so, then that's a yes =)
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • I am planning to use part of it for the flight and then the rest of it is going towards savings and paying down student loans.

In March, I am getting a bonus and will use more of that towards paying down our venue.

• I don't ever get much from my tax return (we're talking like $80 max)...I usually plan my withholdings so they're just enough for taxes...why lend the government more than I have to?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • I'm with Ally... I pretty much break even with taxes or maybe get $80-$100. 

I'm looking forward to next year when I can file jointly with FI and get a few extra tax breaks =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are. We are going to use if for all the little details we still need like our favor bags and such and the cake server and toasting flutes. I am going to use the rest of the money to pay off my cc's so we have cc to use on our honeymoon with a clean slate.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We're getting our wedding bands & I need breaks on my car...the rest will go towards the wedding!
  • ours will probably end up going towards the down payment on our house instead of wedding stuff....our wedding budget has (shockingly) stayed well within our budget so far, although i expect things to start spiraling out of control once i start ordering fun stuff like napkins and decorations and favors...
  • We are planning on paying off our photographer and we're paying my grandmother back the money she loaned us to get my dress so I could buy it before it was completely discontinued. I also have braces which I owe $500 on then they can take them off. I call that "wedding beauty" because I told FI I would not get married with the stupid braces still on my teeth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Everything has been planned as if there were no tax refunds coming in.  I actually forgot I was getting one, so that will just in the checking to replenish the 8 months living expenses reserve.
  • I am super excited my refund and my end of the year bonus should arrive around the same time. I'm paying off the videographer, band, florist, and booking the honeymoon.

The rest is going towards savings.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited January 2012
    I'm using 75% of my refund on the wedding. The rest is paying off credit cards and new tires.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_many-of-planning-using-tax-returns-towards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a6d9c5a8-9fe0-4aa1-847b-a57831a0a7d1Post:0bedf8c3-36c4-4d6b-b08e-2706da9b1c03">Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does paying off your Visa or what's on it and then using your visa for whatever expenditures arise for the wedding count? If so, then that's a yes =)
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]

Yes! Haha this would be me, but really I will put whatever is left over on the card. I'm planning to keep most of the tax return (except the stupid $250 in excise tax I have to pay in this state by next month!) for vendors I need to pay in cash/tips. FI is putting part of his toward new tires...since he needs them to get to Indiana for the wedding (so in a round about way, it's kind of for the wedding? lol), and he'll put the rest toward the actual wedding.
    imageAnniversary
  • We used some of our tax returns from last year for my dress and vendors. This year's tax returns is paying for everything that's left on the wedding. We're also getting another car, fixing up the car we have, and moving. We got a great tax return this year with FI being off work for so long. Laughing  I'm counting down the days until it is deposited in our account.
    Photobucket
  • Yup. Besides the $10k my parents gave us, everything will be payed off with our tax returns and bonuses. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • singing_lynsinging_lyn member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Yep. My tax return isn't much since I only work part time but it's enough to cover our cake. My fiance's tax return is going to be wicked good this year because he claims 0 on everything and so that will be going to our honeymoon and flight and the rest towards our wedding (photographer, dj, and flowers.) I'm so excited to finally get that money in and not be stressing about paying stuff with both of us not working full time right now. Also he's going to probably try and go to school before the wedding and he's been approved for a government grant to cover living expenses while he's in school and if he gets that then we'll be able to bank pretty much the whole thing since I earn enough to cover our necessary living expenses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_many-of-planning-using-tax-returns-towards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a6d9c5a8-9fe0-4aa1-847b-a57831a0a7d1Post:e88af0d8-7c49-4782-8181-18c3ef837923">Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yup. Besides the $10k my parents gave us, everything will be payed off with our tax returns and <strong>bonuses</strong>. 
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

Jealous...wish my job gave bonuses. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_many-of-planning-using-tax-returns-towards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a6d9c5a8-9fe0-4aa1-847b-a57831a0a7d1Post:52cdaacc-5c10-4a0c-8a06-c6ec381916af">Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding? : Jealous...wish my job gave bonuses. :)
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This was my first bonus evar! We all thought that no one would be getting them because I work for a small business that's really struggling but the owners decided to distribute them anyway. It's only 800ish but it was very exciting :)

</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Going towards the honeymoon. I'll be doing mine as soon as the freakin' bank sends me my interest paperwork for the year..Ugh. I'm dying to know what I'll get back.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_many-of-planning-using-tax-returns-towards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a6d9c5a8-9fe0-4aa1-847b-a57831a0a7d1Post:907fcfcb-8ce6-418c-ba4c-3190c5fa1235">Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't ever get much from my tax return (we're talking like $80 max)...I usually plan my withholdings so they're just enough for taxes...<strong>why lend the government more than I have to?
    </strong>Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

Amen. My dad always said he didn't want to give the government an "interest free loan"!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just finished my return this weekend, just waiting for my boss to hit the button to file it for me.  FI should have his money by Feb. 7th! We are using these towards the wedding.  We budgeted for less than we are getting back but the wedding savings account will just roll over to house deposit after we get married. 

Anniversary
  • Yup totally using mine towards the wedding.... the less I have to dip into my savings the better!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_many-of-planning-using-tax-returns-towards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a6d9c5a8-9fe0-4aa1-847b-a57831a0a7d1Post:a315c61b-2891-41a7-a93f-935431f13c30">Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding? : Amen. My dad always said he didn't want to give the government an "interest free loan"!
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

Not all refunds come from over paying in taxes. Sometimes you get money back from things like tuition.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_many-of-planning-using-tax-returns-towards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a6d9c5a8-9fe0-4aa1-847b-a57831a0a7d1Post:1720ea5f-9617-4471-a4aa-2411af36473a">Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many of you are planning on using your tax return towards your wedding? : Not all refunds come from over paying in taxes. Sometimes you get money back from things like tuition.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I just got over 1,000 just from all the tuition I've paid. :o)

I'm VERY happy with my return this year - it's going to cover our entire honeymoon. We've pretty much decided on Disney at this point.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards