Washington

wedding sites and photographers in the Olympia area

Just got engaged November 24th and getting married this May. I'm wanting my wedding outside and reception inside at the same location.  I'm hoping a garden and historical house but I'm estimating 300 people though my FH hasn't finished his guest list yet. I'm not sure where to find something like this though I have searched, if anyone knows please help.
Any ideas on photographers in this area? I would love to be able to keep the proofs so I can do what i want with them in the future.

Re: wedding sites and photographers in the Olympia area

• edited December 2011
    You will most likely have better luck on the Seattle boards.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hello,
     Congrats!!! For a wedding photographer you should check out Chrisohta.com. His photos are amazing!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I would look at Seattle and Portland boards -- but many people will charge for travel to drive to Olympia. We are looking at Sara Gray Photography (out of Portland) and it's nice that she's not charging for travel within OR/WA. Feel free to check out her site, she has been super nice: http://www.saragrayphotography.com
  • mrsbooboobearmrsbooboobear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try on the edge photography! www.ontheedgeweddings.com they have no time limit and you keep the masters and the originals!!!!! they always have two or more phtographers on the job let me know what you think
  • nenafornownenafornow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On the Edge photographers are awful.  And they have huge attitudes (which is kind of funny,but annoying as well).  They photographed one of my friends weddings and they were in her face the whole night.

You could try Colleen Donovan Photography.  Her pictures are so, so beautiful and she travels for free within Washington state.  Good luck!
  • JeanLahtiJeanLahti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I'm also planning an Olympia wedding for next summer and I've been looking into reception sites.  The Schmidt house is a beautiful historical house in Tumwater right by Tumwater Falls.  I believe they have a landscaped lawn area that could be used for seating. The Abigail Stuart house is another historical home located downtown on Franklin St.  I don't know if it would have garden space available, but I think both spaces hold less than 200.  Unfortunately my guest list is a bit too big...I'd love to use the Schmidt house!  I'm researching photographers, too...having a hard time finding one in my price range...there are a lot of very good but very pricey companies around here (like Boston Harbor, they're amazing but super expensive.)  I'll let you know if I find anything good!  Good luck! :)
  • JeanLahtiJeanLahti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops! I just noticed you said your guest list was at 300...sorry!  I think the Lacey Community Center might hold that many and it's located on a pond with lawn space.  Not quite an historical house, but it might hold your guests!  Again, good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Try Hubert's Gasthaus in Oly it's beautiful and if you have it outdoors, they have tents to accomodate you and your guests. Also you might look up the Thornewood Castle in Lakewood it's beautiful in May with their sunken english gardens and huge castle in the background. I hired Dinea de Photo as my engagement and wedding photographer. She's amazing she has a very vintage whimsical feel. http://www.dineaphoto.com/.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Derek Pearson for my engagement photos, and really enjoyed his work.. I will also be using him for my wedding photos.  He is fairly new to building his business in the Olympia area, his business was in Seattle, but his work was exactly what I was looking for.  Very tasteful without looking like a Ralph Lauren ad.  I'm not photogenic at all and all of his shots just seemed really natural… derekpearson.com
  • edited December 2011
    I went to college with Sara Gray and she a great photographer, a really fun girl and she has worked for some really big publications like Rachel Ray. I have seen derek Pearson's work and it is awesome. 
    I really have liked working with Contempo (http://contempoweddings.com) his prices are low and he really makes you feel comfortable.
  • edited December 2011
    Do not go to The Tracy Castle....it will not be a calm and fun experience. The guy that runs the place is very hard to work with and he will use the bait and switch on you to get you to pay more money than you expected. He will tell you they can do whatever you want, but then there is no follow thru. It is a beautiful location so if you can hire out everything and just use the venue then that is the best option.
  • ghbrideghbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out gigharborphotography.com
    I know he has done weddings in Olympia
  • deeje55deeje55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    olyphotos.com  Steve Schmidt does great work. I have seen some of his things, know people that have used him lots, and I am considering using him too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • radaboeckelradaboeckel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need an Olympia Venue!  I was hoping for a small church or something.  Anyone have any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards