California-San Diego

Do NOT hire Mike Johnson of Midnight Magic Mobile DJ!

Hi, knotties... 

We all know wedding planning is stressful, so I hope I can save you a little bit of grief with this information.  If I could give this guy a rating with less than one star, I would without hesitation.  I dodged a bullet with this guy in a big way- my fiance and I almost hired him as our wedding DJ, and thankfully things did not work out. 

I spoke with him on the phone once and he came off as a know-it-all and lectured me about what a good DJ he is and how conscientious he is.  I had read ONE good review (from someone who it turns out knew him socially before hiring him) about him on theknot and chose to trust that (well-meaning) person over the little voice in my head saying "this guy sounds like trouble." 

I emailed him a couple times with questions and his replies would come about a week later.  I only called him once after the initial phone call and he called back the next day sounding confused about why I would call- and the reason for the call was to let him know we were planning to hire him!  Now I see his confusion!!!!! 

The final straw came when I put together a list of songs and asked a couple questions including for advice about how to honor my deceased father at our wedding reception. I also was asking whether or not we could finally meet in person the following weekend. No response for several days and the weekend was approaching, so I emailed him again.  The only question he responded to, which come to think of it I'm not sure I even asked, was how he wanted to receive his payment. 

I thought about it for a few days and deliberated with my fiance and we decided that if he was already causing us stress some five months before our wedding day, he was not the DJ for us.   From the start, his lack of responsiveness left me feeling blown off, so I politely told him so.  I received this in reply- mind you, I have STILL never met the guy, received two or three emails from him that were one or two lines long, and really only spoke with him once: 

/>I sent you a reply after I received your email. I understand you were />disappointed that it took me 5 days to respond , obviously you did not
/>respond to my final email. I must respect your choice to look for
/>another DJ.
/>What bothers me about all of this is that I had a death in my family,
/>your wedding is five months away and I was highly recommended by
/>Jennifer. With all that being said you still chose to go in another
/>direction.
/>To be honest with you. I truly feel sorry for you. It appears you are the
/>type of person that does not give anyone a second chance. In my
/>world life is way too short to live it that way. As you go on in life many
/>people will dissappoint you. It sad to think you will never give them a
/>second chance.
/>People deserve a second chance in life. I'm sure there have been
/>times in your own life where you fell short of someones expectations
/>and they gave you a second chance.
/>I'am not asking to be your choice DJ. I'am just concearned about the
/>way you treated me, and how you treat other people in life. I hope in
/>your marriage that when your husband falls short of your expectations
/>that you will give him a second chance. because if you don't your
/>marriage will not last, and if it does it will not be a happy one.
/>Good luck for your search in a DJ. You will need to find one that will
/>have patience in you and one that is totally perfect. Because that is
/>the only type that will please you.
/>Sincerely;
/>Mike Johnsonj

So, all that being said, if you're looking for someone to DJ the most important day of your life, steer clear of this guy.  He is truly unprofessional in every way. Just check out his website...   I hate to think that someone would use the death-in-the-family excuse, but how about a quick heads up saying "I'm dealing with a family emergency" instead of "I'll take a cashier's check." 

I'm extremely happy that it didn't work out with Midnight Magic / mistercross62@aol.com / Mike Johnsonj (spelled his own name wrong!) because our new DJ is a pleasure to work with.  We contacted Mike Farmer of Mike Farmer Entertainment and within a day, he was making plans to meet us at our house.  He came over and spent some time getting to know us and discussing our wedding with us, not talking about himself.  It's amazing- if I send him an email, HE REPLIES and we've already established a wonderful rapport with him.  Mike Farmer definitely deserves all of the many five star ratings he's received on yelp, and he's about to get another one! 

And just to defend myself for a second, I gave this guy a second chance when I re-sent my email asking to meet with him, and that wasn't even the first time I felt blown off.  And I'm FAR from a bridezilla, and my husband to be will likely never need a second chance because he's a wonderful man!  So there! 

Re: Do NOT hire Mike Johnson of Midnight Magic Mobile DJ!

• kellyr33kellyr33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, he has some nerve sending you a letter like that!  Did you ever respond to him?  Sounds like maybe Mike needs to spend a little less time pointing the finger at someone else and look at his own actions first.  Unbelievable!
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    that guy just sounds like a douche, people like that should be shot, totally unprofessional.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards