California-San Diego

Reception pricing???

I noticed some places have a "per person" price and some seem like they have only one big price. Do reception places have 2 different prices to include a flat price + per person or is it one or the other? I just need to know what to look out for. Im new to all this :).

Re: Reception pricing???

• edited December 2011
    My reception (and ceremony) site has the "per person" price for dinner, plus another price for everything else included and what we're adding on. I wish I knew more, but this is the only venue I looked at and fell in love. 
    March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon - Undecided (NYC or DC)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think most of the venues differ. The place I booked for my reception is $5,000 flat to rent the space. Then you bring in a caterer on top of that and the caterer charges per person because the venue doesn't do catering. Then of course there's table rentals, bar rentals etc which are also additional. Some venues you have to go with their caterer which makes the pricing structure different. Don't be afraid to call and ask the venues and ask questions even if you feel silly. The worst thing would be to incur extra expenses that you weren't aware of! :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_reception-pricing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:8dcca649-960b-4b86-af71-18724446883bPost:9ade8896-9cad-4d6a-9cb9-f8fe4fa6942f">Re: Reception pricing???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think most of the venues differ. The place I booked for my reception is $5,000 flat to rent the space. Then you bring in a caterer on top of that and the caterer charges per person because the venue doesn't do catering. Then of course there's table rentals, bar rentals etc which are also additional. Some venues you have to go with their caterer which makes the pricing structure different. Don't be afraid to call and ask the venues and ask questions even if you feel silly. The worst thing would be to incur extra expenses that you weren't aware of! :)
    Posted by LauraChristin[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with this.  It's typically hotels that are per person and venues that you bring everything in that have a flat rate fee.  So when you are making your budget it can be confusing as to where your money is going (to dinner or to the venue?)

With a hotel, make sure that all the fees are spelled out and you know exactly what you will be paying for.  Some hotels provide a cake with or without a cake cutting fee) and then if you opt to bring in your own cake, they can then charge you that cutting fee (usually $2-5/pp) or waive it.  You also need to pay attention to the ceremony fee and if there are extra costs (i.e. they provide 120 chairs, but you need 150 and they are extra $ to rent)

I recommend looking at budgets and seeing if you find useful forms as you do your research. 

I'm researching all types of sites (hotels and venues) and I thought it was helpful to look at this brochure:
    <a href="http://www.ljshoreshotel.com/files/LJSH%20Wedding%20Packages%202010%20%28updated%205-1-10%29.pdf" rel='nofollow'>http://www.ljshoreshotel.com/files/LJSH%20Wedding%20Packages%202010%20%28updated%205-1-10%29.pdf</a>

page 16 has a sample estimate and that is where I noticed that this hotel charges a room fee in addition to the food & bar!  I'd never seen a hotel do that before, but this one is probably out of my budget.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to your wedding, especially paying for it... Good Luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    engaged on 5/29/11... Kelly & Andy to be married -- September 29, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards