Minnesota

Is May a Good Month for a MN Wedding?

Has anyone been to an outdoor wedding in May, or gotten married outside in May in MN?  We're trying to finalize our wedding date and I'm torn!  We like the Stillwater area and would prefer to not have the ceremony in a church...Trellis looks gorgeous, but is mid-May ok for outdoors in MN?? 

Also, any good reviews of the Water Street Inn in Stillwater?  Seems like the reviews that I've read have been just so-so.  Any other great reception ideas for about 225 guests?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Is May a Good Month for a MN Wedding?

• hippoloverhippolover member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't visited but when I was considering a place for a wedding we looked at The Outing Lodge.  It looked really cool.  I am unsure how many people they hold.  But they have an outside wedding place and a cool english bar.

May is ify.  If could be amazing. Warm, sun shining, not to hot. But it also could be a cold, wet day too.  Sorry I am not much help!
  • edited December 2011
    maybe plan for an outdoor wedding but have a local hall on call just incase it starts to pour the night before? Even if it stops raining/snowing/sleeting etc (lets be honest all of these are possible in may in mn) that morning the ground would be sopping and you would still have someplace to hold the ceremony without worry about slipping and falling in your beautiful dress
  • edited December 2011
    As others have said it could be cold and wet, or warm and sunny. So having an indoor location with maybe a nice patio would probably be your best option. Check out the Andiamo boats.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! The more I think about it, the more I agree with you all.  Time for plan B...move the wedding to June!
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that June will be a whole lot different than May. You can never really count on MN weather, no matter what time of year. Whatever/whenever you decide, I would have an indoor spot nearby as a backup.
  • edited December 2011
    It actually rains more in June than May, I've looked that the farmer;s almanac many times. Although, I know that no month/year is guaranteed, but for the past few years it has rained more in June than May. Your plan B needs to have an indoor option incade of rain.
  • edited December 2011

I am a May bride but think you should consider graduations and/or Mother's day when deciding on a date. Many florist wont do weddings on Mother's day and if you have guests/family/friends that are graduating high school or college its a very busy time.

• colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like others have said, between May or June there really won't be much difference.  So, choose a date that works best for you and your FI, and then make sure to have a back up plan. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think no matter when you plan a wedding for outside in MN you should have a back up plan.  MN weather is so unpredicatble.  one of my friends got married in September a few years back when it was extreemly dry.  We didnt' have an all day rain all summer long, and as luck would have it it rain all day long and she was suppose to have an outdoor wedding. 

it really sucks that you have to have a plan B but unfortunatly that's what we get in MN.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards