Minnesota
Options

Suggestions needed: outdoor ceremony/indoor reception

I'm from MN but currently live in Colorado.  We are wanting to marry in June 2011 in MN, somewhere close to the cities.  Ideally, we'd like an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception.  I'm having trouble researching on the internet because only the larger, popular venues have a lot of information.

Does anyone have suggestions on where we might be able to host an outdoor ceremony (preferabally in a garden, on a lake, or with some beautiful scenery).  Or, suggestions for the indoor reception where we can bring our own liquor and have catering options?  I'm interested in this option to cut costs.

Thanks! 

Re: Suggestions needed: outdoor ceremony/indoor reception

• Options
    sylvielicioussylvielicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A beautiful venue that I looked at was Mississippi Dunes in Cottage Grove.  The ceremony area is tucked into the woods off of the river and is very secluded.  The reception area isn't anything fancy, but has gorgeous views of the river and their golf course, and their food prices were very reasonable.  I was looking for the same thing, but I went with The Wilds Golf Course in Prior Lake (we are getting married 10/9/11) because they have $0 room rental fee.  I also didn't go with Mississippi Dunes because since it is so tucked away, I thought my OOT guests would have trouble finding it from their hotels.  The closest hotel with a shuttle was 20 mins away.  I came up with a lot of other options, but Mississippi Dunes was the prettiest and had the biggest bang for minimal buck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived across Harriet Island when I lived Downtown St. Paul. I think its beautiful. However, I don't know the rates. - As far as I know you can have the ceremony outside in the park and then they have a shelter that can hold the reception.

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?nid=278

Here is rental and wedding info specifically
    http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1236

HTH
  • Options
    donnaoneilldonnaoneill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can do outdoor ceremonies at a lot of Three Rivers Park District Parks. Elm Creek, Silverwood and Gale Woods I think all do outdoor weddings. (I'm having my reception inside at Silverwood, but they said we could also do the ceremony there if it was in the warmer months.)
    "And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing the Millenium Garden in Plymouth, they have an indoor reception place right there too. I also look at the Noerenberg Gardens, they are beautiful! The Three Rivers park sites list alot of great outdoor and indoor spaces.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MasterBrianMasterBrian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A beautiful park to get married at is Minnehaha Falls. A georgeous area. My fiance and I love it, but it costs $500 for the permit. It's not bad priced, but he and I only have a $2000 budget, so that wouldn't work for us. I hope you find the perfect location for your wedding and reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Woods Chapel in Wayzata. Also the Arboretum. You could do your reception at the Bayview Event Center.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards