Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

St. Elizabeth reception emergency!

My fiance and I booked St. Elizabeth in Norwood for our reception 9 months ago and planned for a reception that would start at 7:30-8 and end at 1 am. But a few days ago (3 months before our wedding) someone from St. Elizabeth emailed us and told us that our reception had to end at 10pm! That means we will be kicking guests out shortly after dinner. We've tried calling/ emailing to resolve the issue but no response yet.

We're under contract with the church where we're having our cermony and can't change the time (there is another wedding before us). We sent a deposit and a signed contract with the 1am end time to St. Elizabeth nine months ago, but just realized that they never signed it and returned it to us. 

Has anyone else had a reception at St. Elizabeth's? Did you have to end at 10pm?
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: St. Elizabeth reception emergency!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    This is probably going to get sticky and you need to prepare yourself for that. I would call the parish office until someone answers your call, and then you need to ask to meet with the priest at his earliest convenience. Go to him and tell him exactly what has happened, tell him there's only three months to the wedding and that leaves you with NO time to find another venue. Hopefully he'll make na exception for you.

Now, if that doesn't work, you don't have to time to cry over it. You need to start asking around about other reception sites and set up meetings with their event coordinators AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You actually can pull it off, but it's more than likely going to be stressful- just put your big girl panties on and do the best you can.

Good luck, I sure hope this works out for you- keep us posted!

**EDITED- left out the word "don't".
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We put a deposit down at St. Elizabeth about a year ago and we were told at our meeting that they wanted things wrapped up at 10pm due to it being on a residential street.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_st-elizabeth-reception-emergency?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:1eb32665-e049-4f0e-b2b0-23e707b0e00dPost:b02582a7-3978-4bc6-87d2-b2681b3feea1">Re: St. Elizabeth reception emergency!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We put a deposit down at St. Elizabeth about a year ago and we were told at our meeting that they wanted things wrapped up at 10pm due to it being on a residential street.
    Posted by sam+billy[/QUOTE]

So did you back out, or?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    No I didn't back out. I love the venue and I was okay with it ending at 10pm.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    We backed out. If we ended at 10pm, our reception would only be 2.5 hours, not enough time at all. We had already signed a contract with the church and they booked another wedding before ours, so we couldn't change the ceremony time. And we already sent out Save the Dates (luckily not invitations), and booked a caterer, photographer, videographer etc., so we couldn't change the date.

We were also uncomfortable because when we looked at St. Elizabeth, we were told we would have the venue for 48 hours and could do whatever we wanted as long as we didn't damage anything. Our contract (which we signed last October) specified that we were planning on ending at 1am, and no one said anything about it being an issue then. If they pull that, who knows what else they'll pull?

Fortunately, we found another venue that is prettier, easier to get to, better maintained, still affordable, and will still let us bring in outside catering and alcohol. They just started renting it out for weddings, so luckily our date was available! Now to work on getting our deposit back from St. Elizabeth's...
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    What venue did you choose? Sounds like a good spot.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_st-elizabeth-reception-emergency?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:1eb32665-e049-4f0e-b2b0-23e707b0e00dPost:6edce470-db98-4840-812f-60677a70816a">Re: St. Elizabeth reception emergency!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We backed out. If we ended at 10pm, our reception would only be 2.5 hours, not enough time at all. We had already signed a contract with the church and they booked another wedding before ours, so we couldn't change the ceremony time. And we already sent out Save the Dates (luckily not invitations), and booked a caterer, photographer, videographer etc., so we couldn't change the date. We were also uncomfortable because when we looked at St. Elizabeth, we were told we would have the venue for 48 hours and could do whatever we wanted as long as we didn't damage anything. Our contract (which we signed last October) specified that we were planning on ending at 1am, and no one said anything about it being an issue then. If they pull that, who knows what else they'll pull? Fortunately, we found another venue that is prettier, easier to get to, better maintained, still affordable, and will still let us bring in outside catering and alcohol. They just started renting it out for weddings, so luckily our date was available! <strong>Now to work on getting our deposit back from St. Elizabeth's...
    </strong>Posted by kafie[/QUOTE]

Eek, good luck with that! I wouldn't have been okay with a 2.5 hour reception, either. =)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We picked the Carnegie Center in Columbia Tusculum. It's an old library and it's different from the Carnegie in Covington, which is also an old library. Here's the website: http://thecarnegiecenter.org/
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_st-elizabeth-reception-emergency?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:1eb32665-e049-4f0e-b2b0-23e707b0e00dPost:0ddad41e-b223-4e8b-979d-41cba1c58490">Re: St. Elizabeth reception emergency!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We picked the Carnegie Center in Columbia Tusculum. It's an old library and it's different from the Carnegie in Covington, which is also an old library. Here's the website:  <a href="http://thecarnegiecenter.org/" rel="nofollow">http://thecarnegiecenter.org/</a>
    Posted by kafie[/QUOTE]

<div>We just booked the Carnegie today!  I'm soooo excited about it.  I see your wedding is this year.  I'd love to hear how your planning is going and if you have any tips about this space.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards