Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

outdoor ceremony/reception venue close to downtown?

Hi everyone!
  We are looking for a venue where we can have both the (outdoor) ceremony and the (indoor/tented?) reception.  We'd like it to be close to downtown because we think we will have rooms at a downtown hotel for our many out of town guests.  We'll probably have about 150 people.  Budget is negotiable but would like to spend no more than $5000 on the venue/tent/chair rental (and much less than that would be great too!)
  Places we're considering:
--Drees -- already booked for most of the dates next spring, fiance thinks it's a "wedding factory" but I think it's gorgeous)
--Mt Echo - I've seen pics of some ceremonies that look beautiful but am wondering how hard it would be to have a reception there
--Alms -- same as above
--Ault -- we're too late!  it's already booked for every Saturday in the spring!
--Art Museum -- Hadn't thought of this as an outdoor venue but I just saw some beautiful pics of an outdoor ceremony there.  Any opinions?  How's the catering?
--Taft -- can't find much info/pics -- doubt there's a place to have an outdoor ceremony here?
--Behringer-Crawford -- have seen almost no pics/reviews of this venue besides what's on the website.  Anyone have any experience?
--Spring Grove -- fiance thinks it's a little creepy to be married in a cemetery, but he might have to get over that.  Besides, my grandfather is buried here so I think it would be kind of nice.
--Vinloket Winery -- know virtually nothing about this place but looks pretty.  We like wine so if the wine is terrible that might be a dealbreaker. 

Other places we've considered: Nathanael Greene Lodge (too far out), Krippendorf Lodge (same), Mt Storm (is there a place to have a reception here?  I can't find any info)

Thanks in advance for the expertise!

Re: outdoor ceremony/reception venue close to downtown?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I was married in Spring Grove and had my reception at the Syndicate.  I didn't hear anyone complain about the drive.  There isn't any outside space at the Syndicate though.  I also didn't hear anyone say it was creepy- the chapel is right inside the gates.  We did pics (in bio) in the cemetery, and so do a TON of other people.  The good part is that you can be outside but have the chapel as a rain backup. 

Is the 5k for just the ceremony or the reception as well?  That is a big difference.

There are a ton of options downtown/NKY.  All of the hotels, the aquarium, etc.  The Inn at Oneonta is gorgeous, but it's far out as well.

Congrats and welcome!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    At the Taft you have to be a member, also I think you can only have your ceremony and reception outside. I seem to recall that you supply the tenting.

We were going to go with Vinoklet, but ended up not having a very good experience. If you want more info, PM me. It's a little bit out there too.

The Art Museum's food is quite good and their courtyard is beautiful. I wish it had been in our budget.

I'm not sure how much it is to get married at Spring Grove, but since you can't have the reception there, maybe look at The Phoenix? Its downtown and would give you guests a short commute back to their hotels. Their guest minimums were too high for us, but it looks like they have a really nice facility.

Hope this helps!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    MrsBB2012MrsBB2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Embassy Suites Rivercenter in Covington has a ceremony site outside on their patio that overlooks downtown.  It seats 150.  They have two ballrooms that are inside that you can use.  One has floor to ceiling windows and fits 150.  The other seats more but it's not as pretty.  There is a 200.00 ceremony fee.  There is no room charge for the reception but you have to use their caterer.  I don't think the prices are really outrageous when you consider what they include in the packages.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The art muesuem is beauuuutiful, I loved it when I went there and I also heard the food is great. However, I heard from a few people that the indoor reception hall gets REALLY loud because it's all marble and all the music and talking echos so much in the relatively small space. Just a small thing but my fiance nixed it because of that. The number of guests you're expecting would probably make a difference. I do love the fact that it's sophicated and unique... definitely not a "wedding factory"! Haha! We ended going with Ault instead. Good luck and let us know what you pick! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards