July 2012 Weddings

Gifts mailed to the venue?

Have any of you had anyone mail their gift to the venue? I've had 2 now that have been sent to the venue. Which is OK considering it's family but none of these people who are mailing them there knew that it wasn't an actual venue. I find it strange.

Another comment/question about gifts. I don't want this to come across sounding greedy but what is the % of families that gave a gift? We only had about 40-50% give a gift which I find really odd. We haven't opened our physical gifts yet but so far 99% of the cards have been from my side of the family. Maybe it's not common with H's side to give a gift? weird.

Re: Gifts mailed to the venue?

• We didn't have anyone mail gifts to the venue.  It was either to my parent's house or to our house.

Only three groups who came to the wedding didn't give us a gift.  One was a groomsman and the other a best man (and they claim that they're coming in the mail soon) and the other was a friend of mine who drove a long way so I get it if he doesn't give us a gift.

I think it's pretty standard ettiquette to give a gift if you attended a wedding.  Why don't you ask DH about it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I don't want to make him feel bad about it. I think if I asked him it might just rub it in that it's my side that's doing the gift giving. I don't want to make an issue out of it. I just thought I'd see what other people are experiencing or experienced.
  • He must have noticed this fact when you opened your gifts together, no?  Out of our 85 guests we had one local couple not give us anything (which I personally do find weird) and then i had 2 friends who flew into the country not give us anything (which I accept because of how much they spent to get there). 

No matter what anyone says that people don't have to give you a gift, I think that's BS and I would never dream of going to a wedding empty handed. 
    weddingcake-1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_gifts-mailed-to-the-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a9e750a5-da41-44e1-89ca-d910620f85cePost:40bee2f8-1e8e-4216-90fc-6289877421be">Re: Gifts mailed to the venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>He must have noticed this fact when you opened your gifts together, no? </strong> Out of our 85 guests we had one local couple not give us anything (which I personally do find weird) and then i had 2 friends who flew into the country not give us anything (which I accept because of how much they spent to get there). <strong> No matter what anyone says that people don't have to give you a gift, I think that's BS and I would never dream of going to a wedding empty handed. 
    </strong>Posted by Nancy00714[/QUOTE]

I figured this and that's why I wasn't going to say anything. It would be like rubbing dirt in a wound and I think he would've mentioned it or made a comment to the effect of "wow your family likes to give gifts" or something of the sort. It's not that big of a deal I suppose and in a way your last statement is somewhat true. Etiquette says that it's proper to bring a gift but it's not proper to expect them. I never ever thought it was acceptable to not bring a gift to a wedding. Heck, H and I flew to Hawaii for a week for our friends wedding and we still managed to get them a card and some cash (not that the cash was required but the card at least).
  • The majority of our guests gave us a give of some sort..I would say 95% of the guests (including WP) gave us a gift...

We didn't have any gifts sent to the venue...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards