Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Hair Extensions?

Hello Knotties! :)
  My wedding is not until October of 2011 and I am planning on having an updo. The only problem is that I have short, thin hair. I am really contemplating getting extensions but I am still unsure. Has anyone ever used extensions before and how did they look?

I am assuming I will have to get the extensions a few weeks before the wedding but I still have no idea who I am going to hire to do my hair. I would love for the same person who puts in my extensions to also do the bridal party up dos as well.

Any suggestions from anyone? Any idea of how much this might cost??

THANKS!

Alison

Re: Hair Extensions?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin took medication that made her hair fall out.  To put in extensions, it was $600.  They lasted about 6 weeks, but looked not great before that. 

A girl on my month board had them put in, and on the first night of her honeymoon her DH had her over the bathtub with a razorblade taking them out because they hurt her. 

I guess you can say I'm not a big fan.  With an updo, could you just add on some fake hair?  Like, not extensions per se, but like pageant girls do?
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think extensions are great!  I suggest human hair clip on extensions.  I know human hair costs 4x more than synthetic hair but it's really worth all the difference.  First off, human hair could be dyed and styled to match your real hair.  Second, clip ons are very easy to use.  I wouldn't use synthetic hair unless your hairdo is straight and that the color matches your real hair perfectly.

What I would do pick your stylist,  take your hair extensions to your trial, and see what he or she says.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your stylist. Mine made real hair clip in extensions for me, and they looked wonderful. I bought the hair at Sally's with her (and her discount) and they did actually look real. I loved them. I used them a few times, but didnt need them for my wedding do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also suggest the real hair clip in's, they are wayyy easier to use and great because you can dye them/ curl or straighten them since it is real hair!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got real, permanent (I guess you would say) extensions about four years ago.  They looked awesome, very natural.  No one could tell unless they actually touched my hair.  My stylist even highlighted them to match my real hair.  They ended up lasting about 4 months.  They definitely could have lasted longer, but I constantly ran my fingers through my hair which loosened them up a lot faster.  The only downside I would say was they took about 4-6 hours to put in and they were very expensive (1,000+, but it was also real hair).

For your wedding, you might want to just look into some clips ons to match your hair.  You could get them before your hair trial and have your hair stylist use them during your trial to see if you like them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    101709lovey101709lovey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have used www.proextensions.com personally.  They are human hair and its free overnight shipping.  They are only clip in, which for me was perfect b/c I could use them anytime I wanted to.  You can style them and do whatever you want w/ them, even wash them.  I want to say the set I bought was only $99 so for me it was well worth it.  GL!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought human hair extensions from Sally's Beauty... they are called EuroNext. They are great quality and look awesome. I want to say they were about $80 or so. I took them to my hair dresser and she cut them to make them look more natural!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should just try to grow out your own hair as much as possible and work with what you have.  You should look like yourself on your wedding day.  If you dont have thick long hair and show up on your wedding day like that, that will be all your guests talk about.  And you dont want people gossiping about your on YOUR wedding day!
  • Options
    BlueGreenSkyBlueGreenSky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely recommend Jade Wigs on 7th Street, downtown Cincinnati. I have purchased real hair extensions (the best they have for about $80-$90) on two separate occasions, and they are extremely nice and helpful. I also purchased the clips and heavy thread there to sew into the tracks of the hair. My hair, too, is very thin now because of some medication. Hair extensions make me feel normal again, and if you want to wear them on your wedding day, definitely do it!!! It's YOUR day, and if it makes you feel better about your appearance, then go for it! Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards