Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Opinion needed: Michael Bambino photography?

Even before I met Michael and entered the shop, I was in love with his style of shooting. The website is simply amazing and seemed to capture all the emotion. I was hooked. However, we had an AWFUL engagement shoot with him. The lighting was terrible and most of the images they sent me are unusable. I am too embarrassed to show my mother-in-law.

Choosing Michael was out of my budget, but photos are the most important thing (other than groom) to me. I am cutting many things to make the photography possible. However, now I'm extremely nervous how they will turn out. I mean, there was dirt on my face in the engagement photos he presented us.

What's been your experience with him? Any reassuring words are welcomed. Additionally, any tips on cancelling contracts and keeping the $$ is appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Opinion needed: Michael Bambino photography?

• Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    E-pics are generally easier to take than wedding photos: the lighting can be controlled, events can be "staged" or redone, and communication is more free.  If the e-pics didn't come out the way you had expected, I would strongly urge you to switch to another photographer!  It won't get any better.  You will only regret it if you stay.

In your situation, you will probably lose the deposit.  But it's worth it!  Believe me.  Pictures are also #1 to me, too.  I think few hundred isn't going to hurt as much in the long run in exchange for the pictures you want to keep for life.

If you need any recommendations, let us know!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I 100% agree with clearheavens. Get out now while you still have time to find another photographer. However, I would not cancel the one you have now until you have a new one in place. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We liked our e-pics a lot. My H had a problem with the fact that he had a cut on his lip or something and it showed up in the B & W pics, but before he noticed that he really liked them. I don't even notice and I love all of the emotion he captured. 

We used one of the other photographers there (Anne) for our wedding and she has the same style and we loved our pics. Wished we had had time to get more! We definitely don't regret it.

However, if you aren't happy with the pictures, I HIGHLY suggest telling him. Maybe he will give you a re-do on your engagement pics. I don't think he would want you to be disappointed after paying so much money, especially if you booked Michael himself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, did you like ANY of your images? We had about 5 that we kind of hated out of about 35. But there were so many that we LOVED. Do you want to share any with us? Not that my opinion on your pictures matters, but maybe we will understand better what went wrong with the lighting, ect. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Call and talk to him. He is an extremely nice and understandable person. I've personally known him for about 7 years. Hes a total sweetheart, and Im sure he'd offer a reshoot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am just starting to plan my wedding. However, I have been in 3 weddings where Michael himself has been the photographer and I loved my friends pictures. They were beautiful! 

I am planning on meeting with Michael Bambino Photography in a few weeks with my mom and I am planning on using him for our photos (hopefully he himself will be available). I heard he books up fast. But I agree that the photography will be the most important thing for me as well. I would call him and talk to him about it. I can't imagine he would want you to be unhappy. Maybe he would give you a another E-Shoot? I would love to see your pictures! 

I am planning on Michael Bambino Photography to do our E shoot in the fall this year. Any ideas on location for those?
  • Options
    mandriettimandrietti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are booked with Bambino's studios, however Michael was booked on our date about 13 months in advance, so we went with Steve Bova since he's most experienced and was so easy going.  Honestly with the price of Michael himself, I would have debated that decision and had to cut some things to get him, so him being booked made things easier honestly.   We booked out e-pics with Michael in October and he's doing them himself.  I haven't had any pics yet, but so far I've been pleased with their communication and service.  Two of my co-workers had Michael do their wedding and all the pics, including e-pics are amazing.  I would talk to them because they really pride themselves on their reputation and word of mouth and I doubt they would want anyone to be unhappy or stressed.  Just think that the worst thing they can say about re-shooting or something is no and then you can just cut your losses and try to find someone else at that point.  You have to think that their photography is very artsy and especially Michael's so he may be seeing the pics from a different perspective than you do.  They want everything to be really artsy and you probably want some "basic" or more practical shots thrown in. 

My advice, just talk to them, explain your concerns and tell them specific things you were unhappy with in the pics and what you really wanted.  It could just be a misunderstanding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent you a pm....hope everything works out for you.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stacey Lucas with Bambino did our wedding pics for our June 5 wedding and I love them. I will tell you though that their website has changed dramatically since the date I hired them in 2009.  While I love our photos they are not similar to the style that is currently present on the Bambino website.  Michael shot our engagement photos and we had a blast with him. That said, again, the photos taken that day were straightforward, posed shots, not reminiscent of the photojournalistic/artistic style that is currently depicted on their site. I experienced nothing but professionalism and quality from them throughout our entire process. Stacey and Dan were fabulous the day of our wedding!

I do think you should first express your concerns to the studio directly.  After that, if you do not feel reassured and you still can't find anything redeeming in your epics, you should consider if it is worth it to you to lose your deposit and book another photographer.  You definitely do not want to regret your wedding photos.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stacey Lucas with Bambino did our wedding pics for our June 5 wedding and I love them. I will tell you though that their website has changed dramatically since the date I hired them in 2009.  While I love our photos they are not similar to the style that is currently present on the Bambino website.  Michael shot our engagement photos and we had a blast with him. That said, again, the photos taken that day were straightforward, posed shots, not reminiscent of the photojournalistic/artistic style that is currently depicted on their site. I experienced nothing but professionalism and quality from them throughout our entire process. Stacey and Dan were fabulous the day of our wedding!

I do think you should first express your concerns to the studio directly.  After that, if you do not feel reassured and you still can't find anything redeeming in your epics, you should consider if it is worth it to you to lose your deposit and book another photographer.  You definitely do not want to regret your wedding photos.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When we met with him he was SUPER nice and I bet if you let him know you were un happy he would reshoot. We did not go with them because of a few reasons one of them being from what my FI and I have seen from a lot of e-pics posted on here as well as a few friends that used him dating between 07 and this past Jan, the e-pics were cookie cutter, a lot in the same posing, and it was funny because all three of their e-pic sessions were really darn near the same looking....walking the streets of Glendale, in front of a wall, in a gazeebo, in front of a wall again while sitting on the ground, same position and place only heads turned, then lsame position again but looking at eachother....we also wanted to go multiple locations, not just one.

Their wedding pics were another story and were GREAT, not quite as artsy as his studios best of best shown online. My friend Ellen said he had 2 assistants with him their wedding day and they set up most of the candid shots, so they weren't really candid but looked candid, which I would not have known til she told me.  So I think her wedding photos turned out great, but the e-pics were not good at all.

It is a hard decision for you to make for sure. Let them know you were not happy and that you would like a reshoot. They should do that for you, I cant imagine they wouldnt. E-pics are like a 'try out' to me. If you dont like them or the style it may be time to change. But at least give them the chance to make it right. Everyone has an off day.

Goodluc!k!!
  • Options
    Sarah GuySarah Guy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Michael Bambino...and surprised you are disappointed.  We used him for our wedding and I have recommended several people as his clients (no complaints).  Not only that, but my family booked him for family shoots and my brother and sister-in-law used him for their first baby picts.  With all that being said, I would CALL HIM IMMEDIATELY.  The majority of his business is word of mouth- so I'm sure he would want to know that you are unhappy with your picts.  Any good photographer would be willing to re-shoot or somehow make it up to you. 

We used him for our e-picts and our wedding picts.  I don't regret a single penny.  Not long after our wedding my father passed away and I have some awesome pictures that he captured- truly priceless.  He has always made us feel comfortable (including my husband who doesn't like his picture taken) and has always been professional.  Before you give up- give him a 2nd chance or at least give him a call and explain your frustration.

So my advice in a nut shell- HE IS AWESOME and I would call him to fix this problem.  GOOD LUCK!  I hope you have a wonderful wedding :) 
  • Options
    Sarah GuySarah Guy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BTW- one of my other favorite things about him is that I didn't even know he was there...and I have no idea how he captured some of those images. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_opinion-needed-michael-bambino-photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:426451b9-e59f-4e1e-9b8d-a9fa9d5a0cb1Post:db1403e2-8e81-4979-bd38-ec2dff88697e">Re: Opinion needed: Michael Bambino photography?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just starting to plan my wedding. However, I have been in 3 weddings where Michael himself has been the photographer and I loved my friends pictures. They were beautiful!  I am planning on meeting with Michael Bambino Photography in a few weeks with my mom and I am planning on using him for our photos (hopefully he himself will be available). I heard he books up fast. But I agree that the photography will be the most important thing for me as well. I would call him and talk to him about it. I can't imagine he would want you to be unhappy. Maybe he would give you a another E-Shoot? I would love to see your pictures!  I am planning on Michael Bambino Photography to do our E shoot in the fall this year. Any ideas on location for those?
    Posted by futuremrsdorianbeach[/QUOTE]

<div>He does them right outside of his studio. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your feedback. Especially those who shared their own experiences with Michael and his team. That was so helpful!

I did call Michael and he himself talked it through with me. He hadn't seen the photos before they posted and agreed that some of them should not have been presented to me-- terrible lighting and exposure. He offered a reshoot and promised that everything would go smoothly on the wedding day.

Just talking to him put me at ease because I now know he has my vision. He is living up to what I had hoped for.

• Options
    Glad everyone loves him But please someone tell me about price??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards