Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Bridal Shows

Are these really worth it?  I don't want to go and just get hassled with all the vendors..  Should I just do online researching myself or sign up to attend one.

What are your experiences going to one.  Also, I don't want to spoil my diet with the cake tasting.

Thanks

Re: Bridal Shows

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to one and it wasn't worth it to me. Yeah, you get some ideas, but none of the vendors that were there were vendors I have even considered booking. Also, I got so many freaking phone calls and junk mail from that. I would go to at least 1 to get an idea of what they are all about if you're really interested, and give them a fake phone number/address.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There is one coming up at the Sharonville Convention Center on January 8th and 9th maybe you should try. It's $10 a person, but there's coupons on the website: www.cincinnatiweddingshowcase.com If you haven't started planning anything yet, this would be beneficial to you, I think. If nothing else you'll get lots of ideas for what you want. Oh and I ditto PP, DON'T give them your realy phone number or email address unless you're really interested in booking with them.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to one yet, but a friend recommended having labels printed with you and your FI name, address, wedding date, etc.  She said she got so sick of writing that info over and over.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the best ones are those hosted by your venue, if they offer that.  The venue has preferred vendors they always work with and they give you a great discounts that I can't find at other places.

I would also go if you are thinking of booking a certain vendor and they're going to be there.  It's a good chance to meet them in person and get all questions answered then and there.  Sometimes meeting them gives you a feel you could never get through their website or over the phone.

Otherwise, if you're just going blindly with no prior research, I would recommend using this Board or Wedding Wire first.

I also agree, if you don't like phone calls, don't give out your number.  They or a third-party vendor who wasn't even at the show will call at least once.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do vendors at bridal shows give out special discounts or "freebies" to those attending the bridal shows?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_bridal-shows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:428dab81-932c-4fc1-a1a7-8c592bf0032cPost:ff5192bd-7b70-42ed-ada7-882e328106ab">Re: Bridal Shows</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do vendors at bridal shows give out special discounts or "freebies" to those attending the bridal shows?
    Posted by julialynnjones[/QUOTE]

NOTHING in the wedding industry is free, my dear. However, they may offer discounts.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are drawings that you can register for, but again whoever you give your info will mostl likely sell your info to other people and you'll get random calls about mystery prizes you won that you didn't even sign up for. Most of these are scams, so I'd just be wary about who you give your info to at these things.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    bridal shows are fun and it's a great way to get an idea of what you want. you might not find and book a vendor there, but you can figure out what you like and don't like. this helps narrow down your search and you learn what questions are important to ask potential vendors.

i've gone to a few, and while i didn't win any door prizes, i did get some nice coupons. and i did get some free stuff--a planner, a flashlight, hand sanitizer, chapstick, and rinestone earrings (no big deal, but it's something). the tastings are bite size, you're not going to ruin your diet!

i liked being able to compare vendors rather quickly. in an hour or so, i spoke with five different photographers and could easily compare them. i learned what to look for, what kind of albums i liked, and how much i should expect to spend.

pre-making labels is a good idea. use (or create) an email account that you don't mind getting junk mail in. oddly enough, the most annoying company so far has been Things Remembered--they email a LOT. only give them the information you're comfortable sharing--you don't HAVE to give them your phone number.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_bridal-shows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:428dab81-932c-4fc1-a1a7-8c592bf0032cPost:ff5192bd-7b70-42ed-ada7-882e328106ab">Re: Bridal Shows</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do vendors at bridal shows give out special discounts or "freebies" to those attending the bridal shows?
    Posted by julialynnjones[/QUOTE]

<div>I won a whole bunch of stuff attending bridal shows through raffles and door prizes.  But I know I'm a very blessed girl to have that happen to me.  I do get phone calls and e-mails but I don't mind knowing I saved thousands.  So it really paid off for me.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I went to four--Sharonville, the Bridal Expo at the Convention Center, one at Receptions Fairfield and one hosted by the Anderson Twp building (it's available for rental).  The Expo is the one I liked the least, although it was the largest--it happened to be SuperBowl Sunday so the vendors decided to leave early, and that wasn't advertised so they were taking down everything when I was there.

I knew nothing about planning a wedding, and I'm not from Cincy so I had no clue about venues, so the shows were helpful to me.  I was given a sample bouquet at a couple of the shows, which was nice.  I liked the Receptions show because I was thinking about using them, and you got to sample a lot of their food (we ended up using them).  I thought they were a fun way to spend an afternoon, although they can be crowded.

Ditto on the phone calls, though, so don't give out your phone number!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_bridal-shows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:428dab81-932c-4fc1-a1a7-8c592bf0032cPost:bf50a5d5-de99-4d87-a534-8a81b1101e33">Re: Bridal Shows</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I went to four--Sharonville, the Bridal Expo at the Convention Center, one at Receptions Fairfield and one hosted by the Anderson Twp building (it's available for rental).  The Expo is the one I liked the least, although it was the largest--it happened to be SuperBowl Sunday so the vendors decided to leave early, and that wasn't advertised so they were taking down everything when I was there. I knew nothing about planning a wedding, and I'm not from Cincy so I had no clue about venues, so the shows were helpful to me.  I was given a sample bouquet at a couple of the shows, which was nice. <strong> I liked the Receptions show because I was thinking about using them, and you got to sample a lot of their food</strong> (we ended up using them).  I thought they were a fun way to spend an afternoon, although they can be crowded. Ditto on the phone calls, though, so don't give out your phone number!
    Posted by hccpsu[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto the Receptions show.  It had the most vendors and excellent prizes I had seen in a show (so far), and I was impressed.  The entrance ticket was about $8 but it pays for itself for pretty much a free tasting of many of the foods they serve.  We met a lot of our vendors there who we were thinking of booking and we did end up booking them.</div><div>
    </div><div>The next Receptions show will be on Sun 1/23 at Receptions Fairfield near Jungle Jim's.  Starts at noon.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have been to them all and I loved Bridal Rama winter (the summer one wasnt worth it, there wasnt much there), and the Receptions events are always nice. I booked my photographer, videographer and make up artist from the shows I have been too and got some great discounts.

I think they are worth it to go and there are tons of reputable vendors there! The only thing you SHOULD NOT sign up for is the TRAVEL PEOPLE. OMG I get non stop emails, calls, and letters from Smart Travel, Victoria Travel, Travel City, UGHHHHH! Those are the people I think are scamy. No one wins those huge trips!

Have a great time! It is sooooo fun seeing different floral arrangements, photography studios, cake ideas, and its fun to people watch and see what other ladies are doing too!

:-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards