Ohio-Cincinnati

Getting Married on the Half Hour Superstition?

As I was putting together the final wording on my invitations - a friend pointed out to me that I should get married at 5:30 or 6:30 instead of 6 pm....  She said there was some superstition that lead people to choose a wedding time on the half-hour.  It really wouldn't be a big deal to change it, but I think it is pretty silly......anyone else ever heard of this?

Re: Getting Married on the Half Hour Superstition?

• adfrasure1adfrasure1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, My sister told me the same thing, but guess what I am getting married still on the hour at 7pm. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I heard it, but I still got married at 6pm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you are supposed to get married on the half hour so that the minute hand is going up as opposed to down.  We are probably getting married at 3:30.  I kind of like this old fashioned superstition.
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard it, but I was born on Friday the 13th.  I got married at 7.  What is one more little superstition when my life should be unlucky Wink.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance actuallly told me it...He wanted to stick by it. In my total ignorance I googled it. Which led me to many websites full of superstitions that no bride should ever read. It would have totally freaked me out to keep reading those so I stopped and said I don't care about any superstitions.
    However, we are getting married at 3:30 b/c of FI so whatever
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom told me that years ago... it's supposed to bring you good luck since the hands of the clock are going up.

I couldn't really tell you what time it was when we got married since it was just us and our parents.  The minister was late because he was performing another ceremony and got caught in a downpour and had to go home and change.  I never bothered to look to see what time we started.
  • edited December 2011
    I have NEVER heard this before!  But, we are getting married at 5:30 so I guess i'm doing it the old fashioned way
  • andersjcandersjc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha I am not superstitious but FMIL must be. We were going to have the ceremony start at 5pm but because of her we were going to have it at 4:30 but we don't get the church until 4pm and we wanted time to set up so we compromised on 4:45pm.....I wonder if anybody else has ever gotten married between the half and the hour? We've gotten a lot of raised eyebros but really the time works really well for pictures and the reception timing too.
  • ungraceful13ungraceful13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did 6:30 for the supersitition and bc it was a Friday so the extra half an hour helped people come on time.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards