Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

historic homes

so im looking at places and im still trying to go with a vintage feel,so im looking  at the 20th century and the redmoor and i was wondering if any one knew of homes that allowed between 120-150 people and thats not gonna cost me and arm and a leg.so maybe nothing over 300 but maybe a little less.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: historic homes

• Options
    MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glendale Lyceum?  (no idea on price)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Peterloon.  There are also a couple of estates that let people use them for weddings.  Look online under cincinnati wedding venues and a couple will show up.  I tried but they were booked so far in advance

I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maria, I'm not trying to be a downer here, really.  I think you may need to scale back a bit.  I have a friend who is getting married in a month.  They are DIY everything, even the food and flowers.  She is THRILLED that they are getting out of the wedding for under $5000 for 125 people.  That is borrowing most of the items (like chafing dishes and linens) and going as reasonable with the vendors as she can.  Her venue (Little Red Schoolhouse in Indian Hill) was fairly inexpensive, but they are praying for no rain because they can't hold all their guests indoors and there isn't enough room.  That's not stressful (insert eye roll here). 

There is some sticker shock associated with weddings.  If you rent a place, no matter how cheap, you're going to have to provide a lot of your own items.  Such as food, tables, table linens, chairs, chair covers, food and bartender, cups for the bartender, silverware, and labor to set the thing up AND tear down.  There's a great bridezillas where the bride is crying after the wedding because she's picking up plates after her reception and no one stayed to help. 

I've been on the boards for umpteen years now, and it can be done inexpensively.  It may not be your dream wedding, but it can still be beautiful.   You're already on a Friday (right?), which does save some money.  It saved us $10/pp off of ours (and would have saved $2000 at our original location).  Can you cut your guest list at all?  That is a huge money saver. The difference between 100 and 150 at $30/pp is $1500.  The name escapes me, but there was a bride who got married at the Anderson center and had a beautiful wedding inexpensively.   (BTW, Peterloon is around $8000? If I remember correctly.  Greenacres is at $10k.)  I know our place (Newport Syndicate) started at $30/pp on a Friday, including beer and wine, but that might have changed. 

I really do wish you the best of luck.  It is an extremely stressful thing to do, planning a wedding.   It may take some creativity to stay in your budget, but it can be done and still be amazing. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm a little confused. Are you saying $300 is your entire wedding budget? Or are you saying you want to spend no more than $300 on your rental fee for the reception site? If so then check out civic centers. They are super cheap to rent out and if you can creatively decorate then you can make them look beautiful inside. I have gone to a few wedding held in a civic center and was impressed everytime. I know this wouldn't be a historic home but I'm not sure of any historic place you can rent for at or under $300.

Good luck in your search!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Powell Crosley Estate is beautiful, but I don't think it can hold more than 100-120 people. It is on Kipling Rd. in Mt. Airy. Mercy Hospital Mount Airy Foundation owns the building and that is who you call about renting the facility.

I agree with Mrs Dilligaf that the best way to cut the wedding price down is to cut the guest list down.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HSchallHSchall member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We were looking for a 1920's vintage feel so we went with Peterloon Estate, however it is pricey and the inside really only holds about 60 unless you want to have people sitting in separate rooms.  To use the inside and outside the rental fee is $7500 but to use just the inside I think it is around $3700. 

We also looked at Laurel Court (I think that it is $5000), French House (which is over $1000), Green Acres Art Center ($5000 for the inside and $10,000 for the entire grounds) and Scarlet Oaks Mansion (I can't remember the cost for it but it seemed to have a lower price). Scarlet Oaks is connected to a nursing home and retirement community so that was a little strange.

BTW all of the amounts that I listed are just rental for the space, which might include some tables and chairs but does not include catering, etc.

• Options
    NoetholaNoethola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want to come across the river you can go with the Dinsmore in KY. www.dinsmorefarm.org. They rent for $100 an hour for under 150 guests. You still have to rent items like chairs and tables and it is all outdoors (no indoor option as it is a historical house).
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    "Elsie was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone i found a great place and im going with 20th century,it looks like were gonna be spending like around give or take 6 grand for the food,linens(etc)light&sound and im trying to cutt the list down but my bf mom is real pushy and trying to invite everyone she knows and even people like my bf babysitter that he hasnt seen in years and i mean maybe like 10+years.too.and even a family that friends of there aunt that doesnt even talk to me at all,i get the worst looks from them,so to me i would want to cutt them out,is that bad to say or am i just being a bridezilla!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards