July 2012 Weddings
Options

Name One Thing...

Related to the wedding in which your own reaction surprised you? For example, you expected to feel/think/behave differently that you actually did.
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Name One Thing...

• Options
    BmoreBride311BmoreBride311 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I thought I would be more emotional searching for a dress. It wasn't much of a different feeling than when I pick out any clothing though.

ETA: I do really really love my dress, though, it just didn't ever make me teary or emotional, the way some parts of planning did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Rebis58Rebis58 member
    Mine is changing my name. If you asked me several months ago, you would have seen me feeling very conflicted, not sure what I want to do, and feeling sad about "losing" my maiden name. FI was supportive of whatever choice I made, but did tell me that he would be disappointed and feel a little hurt if I hyphenated or kept my last name (I asked him for his honest opinion). I decided to change my last name, but felt like I would be really sad once it came time to change it.

Now, I am feeling really excited for it! I can't wait to share a last name with FI, I have zero reservations or sad feelings about it. I am honestly not sure at all what changed, I just realized one day how happy I will be to have the same last name as him. 
  • Options
    Rebis58Rebis58 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_name-one-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:b668ddbc-a1b0-4350-8bb8-b48f51b26e32Post:793c736e-1766-459f-9ee4-a1b14f7eafb0">Re: Name One Thing...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought I would be more emotional searching for a dress. It wasn't much of a different feeling than when I pick out any clothing though. ETA: I do really really love my dress, though, it just didn't ever make me teary or emotional, the way some parts of planning did.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

<div>Good one! I never got teary either and neither did my mom, which surprised me</div>
  • Options
    I haven't been excited by my dress AT ALL which is really beginning to worry me.  My dress still needs a lot of work done to it, though.  I hope by the final fitting I'll have the reaction I've been waiting for.

On the other hand, tears came to my eyes when I saw the venue. 
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    Combining our bank accounts. I thought I'd be totally fine with it, but it's a huge adjustment! I was really nervous when we had it done, but I'm glad we did it before the wedding! One less thing to worry about now :) Oh and I was set against a strapless dress. Guess what kind of dress I have.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The honeymoon. I thought I would be super excited to plan it and go on it, but I'm really not, its just like "eh, a vacation". I am hoping that changes as it gets closer and the stress of the planning goes away. I am also currently thinking about changing jobs and going on interviews, so overly stressed out about everything, so I am hoping once life settles down a little, i'll get really excited to go on a vacation with my then Husband!!! 

image 183 Invited image 101 Are ready to party!! image 82 Are missing out image 0 Are Driving me Crazy!! The new Mrs. McIver!! :)
  • Options

The whole thing? I never thought I'd be this "into" wedding planning, but I'm obsessed. It's kind of insane.

Oh and invitations. I figured I would just choose them and send them out. I went through NINE ROUNDS with our invitation designer. NINE. That was something I didn't foresee really caring about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I thought I'd have more of an emotional reaction with finding a dress too. It was more of a matter of fact thing. 

Before I got engaged I was not into weddings at all, then I went through a period while we were planning where I was constantly reading wedding blogs and recording every wedding show. Now I'm back to where I was before. I'm excited about being married and the actual day of the wedding, but I'm over planning it. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also thought I'd be more emotional once I found THE dress..
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_name-one-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:b668ddbc-a1b0-4350-8bb8-b48f51b26e32Post:793c736e-1766-459f-9ee4-a1b14f7eafb0">Re: Name One Thing...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought I would be more emotional searching for a dress. It wasn't much of a different feeling than when I pick out any clothing though. ETA: I do really really love my dress, though, it just didn't ever make me teary or emotional, the way some parts of planning did.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

This was me exactly!! I didn't cry until I put it on the other day when my mom & I picked it up from the store.
  • Options
    I had no idea how obsessed I'd be about wedding planning and all the details!!
  • Options
    I thought I would be more emotional about the proposal. I always thought I would be one that would cry when proposed to, but it was such a surprise and I had so much adrenaline going, I never cried, just had a huge smile glued on my face. I cry at proposal and vows I watch on tv, so I thought for sure I would cry when it was real and happening to me.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I didn't realize how excited I was to change my name to match FI and his three kids, who already call me Mom.  I realized how much it meant to me at Christmas when my sister gave me a personalized wire hanger from Etsy with Mrs. C******* on it.  Tears of happiness just poured out, which made FI and all three kids cry a bit too!
  • Options
    I thought I'd be more anxious about the whole thing. This is my second marriage and the first one turned out horribly (abusive husband). It took me a long time to start dating again and even longer to decide on marriage so I thought I'd be more nervous about it. But I've been surprisingly calm about everything and excited to do this. I guess the right guy makes all the difference!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_name-one-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:b668ddbc-a1b0-4350-8bb8-b48f51b26e32Post:a35ec0eb-d8b3-42da-becf-6b02d8a3ca45">Re: Name One Thing...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had no idea how obsessed I'd be about wedding planning and all the details!!
    Posted by shelby8020[/QUOTE]

Same here! I am on TK EVERYDAY! Also, I never imagined my FI to be involved as much as he is. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but sometimes he is just as obsessed as me. He asked more questions than I did to our wedding planner. LOL
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_name-one-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:b668ddbc-a1b0-4350-8bb8-b48f51b26e32Post:1633e2d2-0c61-48bd-9f26-75ac16651904">Re: Name One Thing...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought I would be more emotional about the proposal. I always thought I would be one that would cry when proposed to, but it was such a surprise and I had so much adrenaline going, I never cried, just had a huge smile glued on my face. I cry at proposal and vows I watch on tv, so I thought for sure I would cry when it was real and happening to me.
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]

This is the same for me.  If you asked me before it happened I would have said I would have cried...but actually I laughed!  I don't know why.  I think I was so caught of guard and couldn't believe it, that I just laughed!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm shocked by how laid-back I've been about some of it.  I'm a controlling person by nature and with some of it, I'm like wear whatever you want, or yeah, that'll do.  Instead of it must be this and this and if it's not like this... I was for certain I'd be the Gold Medalist of Bridezillalympics.

Also, I had a phase of a few months where I burnt myself out on wedding planning (where y'all didn't see me for a long time) and now I'm excited and giddy again.  Let's just do this!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • Options
    I always said I was the type of girl who would just need a dress and a man and a church to get married, and would do something small and un-extravagant and not worry about little details. 

GUESS WHO SPENT HER MORNING ORDERING STRIPED STRAWS FOR HER COCKTAIL HOUR. 

I am still shocked at how obsessed I have gotten. 
  • Options

This is my 2nd wedding and I thought I'd be more laid back and more like "eh, whatever" but I'm finding myself getting wrapped up in all the details, even though our ceremony & reception is totally laid back - we're billing it up as more of a family picnic with a wedding thrown in.

• Options
    I wanted a beach wedding somewhere. I guess you can say a destination wedding and I ended up with 280 people and it stresses me out.

I am usually a quite just keep to myself kind of person, but I have been voicing my opinion on things more.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I thought that I'd be way more nervey and stressed at my shower...other than that though I've pretty much stayed true to form. lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards