July 2012 Weddings

This is how we spent the night.

So remember I went home sick yesterday? Well our washer was spewing water from underneath. Wonderful.

So the repair man came today. Turns out it doesn't look like we have a problem with our washer. We have a septic and I saw a lid pop out and water, toilet paper came spewing out of the pipe right NEXT to the house. The smell killed me.

We suspect our septic was clogged (in one of the pipes). So we used our water hose to snake through the pipe and found something clogged. But suspected the pipe was broken.

Dug through the grass and GASP! Our pipe was broken. Somebody drove over it and smashed it. Luckily it wasn't the main pipe, but it must have been the same pipe for the washer and something else.

So we dug through and cut through the pipe with a saw. Stuff began spewing all over (GROSS!) and inserted a new pipe. I hope we're okay for now. But YUCK!!

Our neighbor is livid at the sellers- he thinks the sellers are responsible for this and it was obvious that they tried to cover up the problem (duct taping inside one of the pipes). I have a feeling that the neighbor did not love the previous owners. Our neighbor helped us fix the problem (such a sweet man).

I'm finally sitting here eating dinner.
doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: This is how we spent the night.

• Eliz77Eliz77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Ughhhh....I am so sorry! I've owned my home for the 2 years now and I constantly wonder what I will come home on. Knock on wood, thus far all has been fine, one leaky pipe under the sink and a couple fallen BIG branches. Hope this is the only surprise you have in store!
    ~ES~
  • WHAT?!?!?!? Wow that is too much, I'm so sorry you're going through this, especially since you two JUST bought the house. I don't know much about laws involving selling a house but I really hope you're able to get some kind of help from the sellers. I agree with your neighbor that they must have known and are trying to hide it. That is ridiculous. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • The sellers have never been cooperative with us throughout the entire process. They didn't even bother calling our realtor back when we had a water leak in our basement and several other issues showing evidence that they have been hiding this from us. We never want to see them again.

FI's brother and uncle are lawyers. FMIL & FFIL contaced the uncle to see what (if) we can do about this. The uncle's speciality is in this kind of stuff. No idea if there is anything we can do about this or not.

In the meantime, I am just so grateful to have such helpful neighbors even though our closest one is a mile away. We've gotten most of the stuff resolved *fingers crossed*.

It was supposed to cost us $125 for the washer repair man to come over, but since he saw that it was a problem with the septic, he didn't charge us anything even though he spent 2 hours working with the washer and actually helping us check out the septic, removing the caps, peeking inside *gag*. I'm just glad there are still nice people around!

doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2012
    Holy crap. pun intended. This happened in my parents' old house. The septic pipe broke and there was dirty toilet water all over the yard and in the garage. The driveway and yard had to be dug up to fix the pipe. Turns out it was a root of a huge silver maple tree that was the culprit. I hope everything turns out for you and it won't be a huge project!

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Blah. Septic systems are the worse. My 'rents had one in their previous house - nothing but issues. No city water there either.

Best of luck. At least you were able to figure something out for now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That totally sucks! At least you have nice neighbors to come help you.  The house we bought is one of few that is on town sewer & water in the town and I'm so glad that I didn't buy one with septic.  Did you have a home inspection and did they look at the septic system?

Anniversary
  • ugh. that sounds like a miserable evening- especially when you already dont feel well. I probably would have puked with all that happening. 

I sincerely hope that you fixed the pipe and that you can successfully get some reimbursement money from the sellers. You guys deserve it after all this crap with the house! 

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG! So sorry to hear about that!

My house runs off of town sewer, however, my parents have a septic because they live out in the country side of town. I'm pretty sure when they moved in there(years ago) they had someone come and clean the septic out.
    Maybe you could look into a spetic cleaner and maybe he would be able to tell what the problem is if its anymore then just being clogged?

Hope everything has worked out since you've posted!

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards