Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Aruba or Barbados?

We have it narrowed down to Aruba or Barbados for our September honeymoon.  We wanted somewhere outside the hurricane belt with an all inclusive hotel, beautiful beaches, fun side trips (submarines, museums, kayaking, horseback riding, hiking) and have found all of the above on both islands.

So...it's down to Aruba (Riu Palace) or Barbados (Crystal Cove).

Opinions?

Re: Aruba or Barbados?

• Options
    I've been to Barbados twice on cruises (1 day stops) and it was beautiful!  I loved going snorkeling with the sea turtles...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Barbados was our favorite island on our HM. I've never been to Aruba but I have heard its overrated just like St. Lucia ( which I can tell you from experience)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    aruba is my 2nd least fave island and i love barbados. choose barbados imo and save aruba for another time.

• Options
    I can't speak for Barbados since I've never been there, but I really enjoyed Aruba. 

I had a great honeymoon in Aruba this summer. I'll agree with PP's that if you're looking for culture, Aruba does lack that aspect. But the beaches and food are really great. Although if you go to Aruba, I'd highly suggest going the non All Inclusive route. It's just not worth it. There are so many delicious dining options to choose from all over the island. You'd really be missing out on that aspect. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Aruba is my least favorite island in the caribbean. I had wanted to go for my honeymoon, but was glad we went on a cruise stop first to rule it out! Its very desert like.... Not what I was expecting at all.

Stephanie
    Our beautiful engagement pictures imageMy Bio... returning from hiatus
  • Options
    Huh. I thought Aruba was beautiful. Definitely very tourist-y, but at least I felt safe. My FI has been to Barbados and said it was beautiful, he recommends staying at the south end though cause those are the best beaches. Ditto PP and avoid any all inclusives in Aruba cause there are a TON of amazing restaurants there. If you decide on Aruba, PM me and I can give you detailed info. I spent 10 days there last year and did lots of exploring. I am interested in going to Barbados though, FI said he'd absolutely go back. In fact we looked there before deciding on St Lucia for our HM. 
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hobokenbride2012 can you fill me in on why St. Lucia is overrated? It is one of mytop picks for sept honeymoon barbados, st. John antigua, riviera maya being other choices. Maybe ur experience will help me make my decision. You can PM me if its easier. Sorry for hijacking thread!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_aruba-or-barbados?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:026c953d-07ca-44f9-903c-929037edc50ePost:f613d660-0350-488c-97b9-1083e1dd4463">Re:Aruba or Barbados?</a>:
    [QUOTE]hobokenbride2012 can you fill me in on why St. Lucia is overrated? It is one of mytop picks for sept honeymoon barbados, st. John antigua, riviera maya being other choices. Maybe ur experience will help me make my decision. You can PM me if its easier. Sorry for hijacking thread!!
    Posted by d&m92013[/QUOTE]

First of all I didn't find it as pretty as the other islands. My main problem with St. Lucia was the beggers.  There were all over the place.  Our tour bus would be stopped at red light and they would come and knock on the windows.  It was horrible, I actually felt unsafe there.  I know that this can happen anywhere but we visited 6 islands - Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Marteen and St. Kitts and it was the only one were we encountered this problem.  I'm sure it's a different experience at an AI but be careful if you venture out on your own.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_aruba-or-barbados?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:026c953d-07ca-44f9-903c-929037edc50ePost:b913ae2d-8c98-4de0-adab-4aec93408bd2">Re: Aruba or Barbados?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aruba is my least favorite island in the caribbean. I had wanted to go for my honeymoon, but was glad we went on a cruise stop first to rule it out! Its very desert like.... Not what I was expecting at all. Stephanie
    Posted by Shoefly21[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, Aruba is very arid. It is not your typical lush caribbean island because it gets very little rain year-round. That was part of it's draw for us being that we were honeymooning during the beginning of hurricane season. That doesn't stop it from being a nice island though. Because the limited amount of rain fall they get, they have very little agriculture and most things on the island are imported, also making things more expensive. But they have great aloe products since the aloe plant is cactus :) Research Aruba so that you know what to expect from your vacation if you decide to go there. </div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_aruba-or-barbados?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:026c953d-07ca-44f9-903c-929037edc50ePost:ccc1056f-bd29-497e-98e4-48adb0509a1d">Re:Aruba or Barbados?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Aruba or Barbados? : First of all I didn't find it as pretty as the other islands. My main problem with St. Lucia was the beggers.  There were all over the place.  Our tour bus would be stopped at red light and they would come and knock on the windows.  It was horrible, I actually felt unsafe there.  I know that this can happen anywhere but we visited 6 islands - Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Marteen and St. Kitts and it was the only one were we encountered this problem.  I'm sure it's a different experience at an AI but be careful if you venture out on your own.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you for the advice...that is definitely good to know and something to factor in!! We don't want to be confined to the hotel grounds we like to get out and explore. Did you feel safe on St. thomas and St. Martin? </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_aruba-or-barbados?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:026c953d-07ca-44f9-903c-929037edc50ePost:24263894-72f3-4a8a-8731-1c8c3538be9a">Re:Aruba or Barbados?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Aruba or Barbados? : Thank you for the advice...that is definitely good to know and something to factor in!! We don't want to be confined to the hotel grounds we like to get out and explore. Did you feel safe on St. thomas and St. Martin? 
    Posted by d&m92013[/QUOTE]

Like I said St. Lucia was the only island I had issues with.  Both St. Thomas and St. Martin were great.

• Options
    I totally agree with the other posters that Aruba isn't all that special.  My thing is, that was a very long flight for something not at all interesting.  There are so many other islands within a shorter distance with a lot more to offer.  I've never been to Barbados, so can't comment on that.
  • Options
    Barbados is great! I go every year. The food, culture, beaches and adventures are amazing. I love taking friends with me when I go. Safety is important to the people there since they understand that tourism is their biggest industry so you will feel safe when youre out on the beaches or partying late at night. It's funny because I am thinking about going to Aruba for my honemoon in October. Based on the comments it doesn't seem like there is anything special about it. I've travelled throughout the caribbean and always wanted to visit Aruba but now I am having doubts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards