Honeymoon Discussions

Costa Rica Rui Palace

hey guys!

FI and I just booked RUI Palace CR for our honeymoon (departing Nov 19th) the resort is brand new and opens next week so I am of course not expecting anyone to have reviews on it. But this is our first time in CR and was wondering if anyone here has been to the area before? the resort website said its directly on the  Matapalo beach next to the Riu Guanacaste.

we have loads we want to do (ziplining, volcano hot springs/mud baths, cave tubing...) just wondering what you would suggest as not to miss things to do or see or any little tips and tricks you can bestow upon us before leaving.

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Costa Rica Rui Palace

• I have never been to Costa Rica but I have been to a RIU Palace resort. They are amazing. I am sure you will have a great time!

• I spent 3 weeks in Costa Rica a few years ago. The nature is worth it. The zip lining, nature tours, volcano hikes, etc. If possible chat up the locals enough to find guides to the hidden spots. We met a guy who owns some private land with a waterfall and he took us hiking there. Another guy (friend of the first) did special hikes up near Arenal at night so we could see the lava tumbling down. One of our taxi drivers cut a coconut down from a tree and used a machete to chop it in half. These guys don't have websites. You just have to talk to people! That stuff made the trip for me.
  • We stayed at the Riu Guanacaste last April, just before they started construction on the Riu Palace. Read the reviews for the Guanacaste on Trip Advisor to get a sense of the excursions that are available and what the area is like. 

We had a fabulous time and loved the country, but those resorts are quite a distance from almost everything. Expect to spend at least 30 minutes on a bus to get anywhere, and much more than that if you want to see Arenal and the rainforests (which are both awesome things to see).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I stayed at the Riu Guanacaste in June and have to be honest, I did not like it very much. It looks like the Palace one they were building though will be very nice. We came from another hotel (Nayara near Arenal Volcano) and that is where we did the majority of our activities but I imagine you can do the same through the Riu. The only activitiy we did through the Riu was ATV riding to the beach which was fun. At Arenal, we did a rainforest hike up a volcano, ziplining and white water rafting. it was great!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_costa-rica-rui-palace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:04067c4b-7129-480f-bd1f-1840b13be59bPost:cb9a8564-cf6e-4182-9093-669e35e6c253">Re: Costa Rica Rui Palace</a>:
    [QUOTE]I stayed at the Riu Guanacaste in June and have to be honest, I did not like it very much. It looks like the Palace one they were building though will be very nice. We came from another hotel (Nayara near Arenal Volcano) and that is where we did the majority of our activities but I imagine you can do the same through the Riu. The only activitiy we did through the Riu was ATV riding to the beach which was fun. At Arenal, we did a rainforest hike up a volcano, ziplining and white water rafting. it was great!
    Posted by Delprisa[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post!

Just a question: do you remember roughly how far a trip it was from that gunacaste to the volcano? its high on our list of things to do, but we are hoping things like the volcano, ziplining and rainforest are not terribly far away so we end up spending a bulk of the HM traveling to and friom.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • it was about 3 hours. 
  • We are leaving for Riu Guanacaste on the 18th... I can't wait!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_costa-rica-rui-palace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:04067c4b-7129-480f-bd1f-1840b13be59bPost:d2fd1c1e-7a4c-4320-b792-669a316a7deb">Re: Costa Rica Rui Palace</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are leaving for Riu Guanacaste on the 18th... I can't wait!
    Posted by tropicalpalmleaf[/QUOTE]
     we check into the palace on the 19th and from what I gather the palace and gunacaste are very close to each other, who knows maybe we will bump into each other on the beach, we will be the painfully white/pale people constantly applying SPF 60 haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_costa-rica-rui-palace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:04067c4b-7129-480f-bd1f-1840b13be59bPost:e715fa9e-f05b-478b-98aa-3ff4487726d2">Re: Costa Rica Rui Palace</a>:
    [QUOTE]it was about 3 hours. 
    Posted by Delprisa[/QUOTE]

EEPA! that is far, thanks for the post
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_costa-rica-rui-palace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:04067c4b-7129-480f-bd1f-1840b13be59bPost:903f8cd7-91ef-45bc-b88a-092fa105dfe5">Re: Costa Rica Rui Palace</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Costa Rica Rui Palace :  we check into the palace on the 19th and from what I gather the palace and gunacaste are very close to each other, who knows maybe we will bump into each other on the beach, we will be the painfully white/pale people constantly applying SPF 60 haha.
    Posted by souptin[/QUOTE]

<div>Aww, well I hope you have a fabulous time! I checked the temps and it will be 90!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can you share why you didn't like Rui much? I have looked into both that one and palace for our May honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards