Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Should the monkeys scare me?

So after looking and looking my fiance and I have decided to go to Costa Rica. We are thinking about staying in an all inclusive for about a week and then going to Makanda by the Sea (the most beautiful hotel i have ever seen) but there are monkeys everywhere in the pictures from trip advisor. does anyone know how the monkeys react? This may be a crazy question, but i want to make sure we are not going to get attacked on our honeymoon :)

Re: Should the monkeys scare me?

• Options
    Just don't taunt them or make them feel threatened and you should be good If people are photographing them constantly, I would imagine that they are fairly used to humans being around and wouldn't attack unless provoked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i have to laugh b/c my fi and i were looking at costa rica and i asked him the same thing! we ultimately decided on St Lucia because we are getting married in may which apparently its chillier in costa rica around that time.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    i have a friend who goes to CR regularly and the monkeys are no problem.  He often sends pics with them in his lap or the like.  I agree with pp.  Don't taunt them or irritate them and you'll have no problems!
  • Options
    don't taunt the monkeys....although the only thing I've ever seen monkeys do besides be adorable is fling poo or touch themselves inappropriately (usually in front of a gaggle of school age children)...so yeah don't taunt the monkeys....
  • Options
    The monkeys are NO problem at all! I have been to Costa Rica numerous times and once stayed at a hotel on the edge of the jungle with monkeys living in the trees. They are so fascinating to watch! They just played in the trees and left us gawking humans alone!
  • Options
    There are several different kinds of monkeys in Costa Rica.  They are generally harmless.  In my experience, the white-faced capuchins can be curious, and some will approach you because, unfortunately, hotels are leaving food out for them and they've learned that people have food.  This is unnatuaral behavior and ultimately hurts the monkeys.  I had one walk up to me on the beach in Manuel Antonio and, before I saw him, he almost had his hand in my bag, which was sitting on the beach behind me.     The squirrel monkeys are more elusive, but adorable.  The ones I saw stayed in the trees.  Howler monkeys also spend their time high in trees.  They make a terrifying noise that sounds like something out of a horror movie.  I've never seen one close to the ground or to a person.  If you're skittish about monkeys though, just be aware that they sound intimdating, but they're just communicating with each other.  I think my biggest concern would be avoiding standing under the monkeys.  The don't come down from the trees to urinate, so it's common to see urine falling from the trees when monkeys are around.  Otherwise, don't worry about them - just enjoy watching them from a distance.  They are interesting creatures, and very different in the wild than in a zoo. 
  • Options
    You'll be fine. If you find yourself too close for your comfort, just be calm, don't try to grab/hit/shew them away and avoid eye contact. They would only attack you if they felt threatened.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards