Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Mosquitoes in Fiji?

Hey everyone!My FI and I are considering hm destinations, and we both really like the idea of a South Pacific hm, specifically Fiji. But before we decide, we wanted to know more about the bug situation. So, everyone who has been to Fiji!Are mosquitoes a real problem there? Other bugs don't bother me so much, but I swell up really bad from mosquito bites, and we're worried it may be too uncomfortable for me there.Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Mosquitoes in Fiji?

• Options
    We are going to Fiji in a few weeks for our honeymoon and we were told it does vary a little by time of year, but there are definitely mosquitoes around dusk. In my experience, this is true of every tropical island we have been to though. I don't do well with bites either, but I just use plenty of bug spray and am usually fine. I expect the same from Fiji.
  • Options
    From what i have read as pp mentioned all the tropical islands have them so you have to wear bug spray pretty much all day long from what I gather. Better to be safe than sorry. Take some cream just incase you get a couple bites.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on the areas you are going to.  In the more dry areas, there won't be so many.  We didn't have any problems at all for the first part of our trip, never wore bug spray.  But the second part, we went to Matangi where it is much more like a tropical rainforest and there are many many more bugs, especially mosquitos.  The beds had mosquito nets which helped, and they provided bug spray for us.  But I never caught one biting me, so when I realized I had a number of bites, it was too late for bug spray!  Its nothing you can't manage though :)
  • Options
    We brought bug spray and only needed it once. (in two weeks)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your responses!I had a feeling I'd have to tote around some bug spray, but that's not a problem!Thanks again!
  • Options
    Hi, On_Cloud_Nine!  FI & I have just booked our "weddingmoon" trip to Fiji and I was concerned about this as well.  We are traveling in July, which is the "dry/cool" season in Fiji, so I am hoping for less bugs.  I am guessing a lot will depend on what time of year you will travel there, but as pp's mentioned, I don't think it will be anything we can't handle!  Please let us know what you decide!  I've been researching Fiji for months AND I have a phenomenal travel agent who specializes in the South Pacific if you need one! 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    I went for a week in 2005.  I used 2 cans of tropical strength bug spray and still had bites.  I went in Aug if it matters.
  • Options
    We went in July (dry season) for two weeks and only needed to wear bug spray the one day we went hiking through the dense rainforest on Taveuni. There is almost always a slight breeze everywhere else that keeps them away. There were some giant spiders (see bio) but nothing that was posionous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards