Honeymoon Discussions

Name on passport

I'm getting married in August but we are not going on our honeymoon until December. We are going to excellence playa mujeres in cancun! We plan to book the hotel and flight in the next couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should book it in my current name or my future married name? I plan on changing my name right after the wedding but I want to make sure I'd have my updated passport before the honeymoon because I know they are super strict about names matching exactly. Should I book in my married name and hope the passport arrives by honeymoon time or just wait to change my name til after the honeymoon?

Re: Name on passport

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I think the turn around time for passports is 6-8 weeks.  It's really up to you since you have four months.  That should be enough time to get all the paperwork done, but only you know how fast you will be about going to the SS and DMV, before sending off your passport info. 

I also think you need a copy of marriage license and I don't know how long it will be before you receive that, either.  Just some things to think about.
  • hmmm, it's kind of cutting it close.  I'd probably just keep the passport in your maiden name (I'm asuming you already have one and not ordering for the first time) and change your name afterwards.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_name-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:145b2569-0d35-4f6d-be1e-ba524254ae0bPost:695245fe-3750-400b-bf89-5c00c9ca23e0">Re: Name on passport</a>:
    [QUOTE]hmmm, it's kind of cutting it close.  I'd probably just keep the passport in your maiden name (I'm asuming you already have one and not ordering for the first time) and change your name afterwards.  
    Posted by [email protected][/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. And if you don't already have one, just get it now in your maiden name, and as long as you submit the paperwork to get a new one with your new name within a year, the new one will be free.</div>
    imageimageimage
  • you can get an expidited Passport in about 10 days.....we did ....but it is expensive.....if you don;t want to do that just keep everything in your maiden name til afterwards
  • You must book your honeymoon in your maiden name. 

In order to change your passport, you need your new social security card.  In order to change your SS card, you need your completed marriage license.  Social security cards take 2 to 4 weeks.  Passports take 6 to 10 weeks.  You cannot start the process until you are married.  
  • edited January 2012
    Book in maiden, get passport in maiden ( if you don't already have one), go on hm and have fun, change pp to married name within one year of marriage( for free) = a lot less worry.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_name-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:145b2569-0d35-4f6d-be1e-ba524254ae0bPost:6e634fdb-0321-40ea-b2e0-795998ae6cca">Re: Name on passport</a>:
    [QUOTE]Book in maiden, get passport in maiden ( if you don't already have one), go on hm and have fun, <strong>change pp to married name within one year of marriage( for free)</strong> = a lot less worry.
    Posted by monkeygirl18[/QUOTE]

You cannot change your passport for free within one year of marriage.  It's within one year of the original issue of the passport.

OP, I would go on the trip in your maiden name and change your PP when you get home.  Better safe than sorry if you ask me.  I've had my name legally changed with SS and on my license, but my PP is still in my maiden name and I still travel with no problems, as long as my tickets match my PP.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_name-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:145b2569-0d35-4f6d-be1e-ba524254ae0bPost:a547578f-dd88-49eb-8398-d87efb9ea98a">Re: Name on passport</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name on passport : You cannot change your passport for free within one year of marriage.  It's within one year of the original issue of the passport. OP, I would go on the trip in your maiden name and change your PP when you get home.  Better safe than sorry if you ask me.  I've had my name legally changed with SS and on my license, but my PP is still in my maiden name and I still travel with no problems, as long as my tickets match my PP.
    Posted by sunshine_day_dreams[/QUOTE]

I assumed OP would be applying this year and could change name after coming back from hm. Meaning, apply in say...June 2012 buys Op till June 2013 to get it changed free.
  • From OP, it sounds like you already have a passport in your maiden name?

If so, you may be okay to book passport in your married name.  I already had a passport but renewed to update it to my married name.  It took 13 business days/2.5 wks to get my new passport.  So, if you got your marriage certificate by early Sept, updated your SS card, then by Nov you should have everything you need to send in for your new passport.  However, you might as well save the worry and just book in maiden name.

• I got married in August and took an international vacation booked in my married name in December. It was no big deal. That's plenty of time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_name-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:145b2569-0d35-4f6d-be1e-ba524254ae0bPost:52f0ca7a-383f-4061-a727-17bf898f860d">Re: Name on passport</a>:
    [QUOTE]From OP, it sounds like you already have a passport in your maiden name? If so, you may be okay to book passport in your married name.  I already had a passport but renewed to update it to my married name.  It took 13 business days/2.5 wks to get my new passport.  So, if you got your marriage certificate by early Sept, updated your SS card, then by Nov you should have everything you need to send in for your new passport.  However, you might as well save the worry and just book in maiden name.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

Yes I already have passport in my maiden name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards