Honeymoon Discussions

Flying to Jamaica - no non-stop flights???

We are getting ready to book our HM to Jamaica for next April through BeachBum Vacations. At this point, there are no non-stop flights. I am okay with a 1-stop flight however I don't want a long layover or for it to take 12 hours to get home (should be about 5 hours total, including a stop). Am I being too picky? For those of you who travel and fly quite a bit, is this because the trip is so far out that not every airline has posted what they are going to have available? The travel agent says we can go ahead and book our HM now, and add the flights in later when we see what is available, but I just don't know what to do.

Anyone else in the same situation or have any input to share?

Thank you!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flying to Jamaica - no non-stop flights???

• Try Spirit, Air Jamaica and Southwest. After that try bing.com and cicl 'more' for travel.. Its like an expedia but better, it will allow you to highly modify the searches.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Where are you flying from? I just did a quick search on Kyak and there are plenty on non stop flights from my area for April. Kyak is my go to site for flights for the big names...delta,American and do on. Also look into air jamaica, that's who we used, or jet blue.
  • edited June 2012
    Are you flying out of DC (based on your location in your info)? If you're flying of DC and into Montego Bay airport, there are options from Dulles, Reagan, and BWI that are about 5 1/2 hours long, including a short, 45 minute layover. It looks like United, US Airways, and American all have flights fitting the bill. Check Kayak: they have flight visibility through May 2013. Good luck!
  • We had a one hour and 10 minute layover coming back from Mexico a little over a year ago and almost missed our flight. Most of the time when you come back in the country you have to go through immigration, pick up your luggage, go through 'imports' with your luggage, then recheck it. This took us almost an hour and we had to run to the train, then to the flight and bairly made it when they were doing last call.
    If you do end up having a layover I would make sure it is at least 2 hours.

• I consider a 2 hour layover or shorter not such a bad thing. What I have been running into is 4 and 5 hour layovers. So you make a good point. As far as other airports, I am looking into that as well - maybe it will open up other options. I have the choices of BWI, Dulles, and Reagan.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_flying-to-jamaica-no-non-stop-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:1a22bba4-ad94-4287-b844-3125c6836eacPost:aec5a190-f41a-4174-96cf-f9f124168e19">Re: Flying to Jamaica - no non-stop flights???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a one hour and 10 minute layover coming back from Mexico a little over a year ago and almost missed our flight. Most of the time when you come back in the country you have to go through immigration, pick up your luggage, <u>go through 'imports' with your luggage, then recheck it</u>. This took us almost an hour and we had to run to the train, then to the flight and bairly made it when they were doing last call. If you do end up having a layover I would make sure it is at least 2 hours.
    Posted by dazyabbey[/QUOTE]

that's customs.

and yes kayak is my fave site for searches.

• Where are you flying out of?  I am flying out of Philly and they offer non stops to JA in less than 4 hours.  I am also going next April! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    We just got back from Jamaica a few days ago, and we flew non-stop on Jet Blue. Other airlines I saw at the airport in Montego Bay were Delta, US Airways, Caribbean Air, United, etc..

We always prefer Jet Blue since they have the most non-stop flights to the Caribbean, tv's in all the headrests, Dunkin Donuts coffee on board, and they don't charge you to check your luggage.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_flying-to-jamaica-no-non-stop-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1a22bba4-ad94-4287-b844-3125c6836eacPost:e56c7550-0293-4f8a-9735-ae95d3a71935">Re: Flying to Jamaica - no non-stop flights???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just got back from Jamaica a few days ago, and we flew non-stop on Jet Blue. Other airlines I saw at the airport in Montego Bay were Delta, US Airways, Caribbean Air, United, etc.. We always prefer Jet Blue since they have the most non-stop flights to the Caribbean, tv's in all the headrests, Dunkin Donuts coffee on board, and they don't charge you to check your luggage.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

<div>JetBlue is awesome, I agree with Summer.  It looks like you can fly from Reagan or Dulles to Montego Bay on JetBlue with a stop in Orlando, connection is about 1 hr 35 min.  (Flying from BWI on JetBlue wouldn't make sense since you'd have to fly to Boston for the connection)</div><div>
    </div><div>EDIT: JetBlue only shows flights through Feb 2013.  So you can wait a few months and then play around with your dates on the JetBlue website, since you can usually get a better deal direct with them and they have special offers all the time.   If you can't wait and want to book now, I'd say go with one of the options you find on Kayak, Expedia, or whatever booking agent you use.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards