Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Question. Yellowstone

Honeymoon plans are set in stone,almost. 
Our plans are Yellowstone for a week or so then make a trip to the Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore, all the major landmarks of the west.... 
My fiancee wants to drive, its a 32hr drive from where we live, I have told him we can rent a car for the few days and do that, but he wants to drive. All. The. Way. There. 
We are about to get a car hopefully (Chevy Equinox) but its the whole, that's a lot of driving...  and a lot of stops since I get carsick easily. We have been looking at flying, but theres the whole... I DON'T pack light..

Re: Question. Yellowstone

• Options
    There's no question...?

FWIW I've driven out west to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. It's a gorgeous drive.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Yeah I would not want to drive that entire way. We drive down to Atlanta every couple years from Omaha and it is a long drive. I couldn't imagine adding another 8-14 hours to that drive, I think you should consider flying into somewhere close and renting a car. If you are going to be camping you shouldn't be bringing everything and your sink anyway, pack lighter and figure out what you need and what is really important.

• Options
    We're staying in one of the hotels in Yellowstone, (me camping... uh uh.. no.) 
    I usually pack about 2 big suitcases when we go on vacation for more than a few days.. 
    He just wants to drive since his family is from Illinios, and he wants to look at property. which I can understand but we could fly up there another time....

Men. LOL
  • Options
    It sounds like you are unhappy with these plans. If you don't do well driving and don't like hiking or camping, I'd suggest you choose another honeymoon idea. 

My FI and I are driving from Syracuse all the way to Seattle, down the Pacific coast, across the south west then back up the east coast for our honeymoon. However, we love the NP and plan to stop at as many as possible. We've also already taken two similar length road trips in the previous years of our relationship and know that it is exactly the kind of honeymoon we'd enjoy most. 

If the only reason he wants to drive is to see his family, remind him he'll see them at the wedding. This is exactly why we plan to skip Biloxi and Chattanooga on our trip (which is where all of FI's family lives and our end destination on our previous two trips).
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm not fond of the idea, I love the outdoors, just not camping. We're doing 2 honeymoons, Yellowstone the week after the wedding and Disney World in the fall.. 

I'm okay with yellowstone because of the animals and the geysers, e just knows I hate hiking and stuff... 
    I wanted Hawaii... but he wanted Yellowstone, and Yellowstone was somuch cheaper. 
  • Options
    I would sit down and chat with him and see if this is really what you want for your honeymoon. Going to Yellowstone is much more than looking at a couple of geysers and then seeing a few animals. You might not see animals at all really. I don't think you should be going if you don't like hiking, and more outdoorsey type things. The trip you are thinking about is also very windery and hills and all sorts of fun stuff for people who don't do well in cars. I get motion sick sometimes in long windey roads and things like that and I did not do well up in South Dakota last time we went because of all of that. If you get motion sick that is another problem. And honestly, the way up here there you wouldn't have a problem, it would be driving from the Grand Canyon down south, up to Mt. Rushmore that you would have issues with.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_question-yellowstone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:20b6de46-0efc-48b5-9445-657d76afba27Post:5d7f174c-0300-4378-83ed-106d183abefd">Re: Question. Yellowstone</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you two gone to couples counseling yet?  It sounds like you should!  You two are not on the same page about the honeymoon.  I'm guessing that there are other issues.  Why does it have to be his way or your way?  Why can't the two of you compromise?  I see trouble ahead.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Yes, clearly two people with different tastes in vacation need counseling.  *eyeroll*

There is plenty to do at Yellowstone without camping or hiking.  Lots to see that can be accessed by car or short walks on the boardwalks.  And to the person who said "you might not even see animals" have you BEEN to Yellowstone?  The damn bison walk down the middle of the road.  The only way you won't see animals is you keep your eyes closed the entire time you're there.

But if you don't love the idea, keep thinking.  Also, I wouldn't recommend driving.  How much time do you have?  You're driving all over creation, you're going to be spending most of the time in the car. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_question-yellowstone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:20b6de46-0efc-48b5-9445-657d76afba27Post:5d7f174c-0300-4378-83ed-106d183abefd">Re: Question. Yellowstone</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you two gone to couples counseling yet?  It sounds like you should!  You two are not on the same page about the honeymoon.  I'm guessing that there are other issues.  Why does it have to be his way or your way?  Why can't the two of you compromise?  I see trouble ahead.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><strong>No, we have not yet. We both are too busy at the time. </strong></div><div><strong>We have talked about a cruise around the Bahama's, but we are not sure, we are going the week after the wedding and I am not sure about the crowds in June..
    </strong>
    </div>
  • Options
    The good ol' western US roadtrip is a must for just about anyone to experience at least once in their life.  Yes, it's a lot of hours in the car, but it's also an experience you can look back on and enjoy forever.  And, as long as you see most of the tourist traps along the way, it's definitely fun.  (especially in SD and WY - Wall Drug, badlands, Corn Palace, etc)

As far as the car sickness goes, I can relate.  My FI and I drove to Mt Rushmore last May (it's only about 10 hours for us) and we took his car, which meant it was lower to the ground and I would be more susceptible to getting sick.  But, it went really well.  I take Meclizine, which you can buy over the counter.  It seems to do the trick for me.  And, I haven't had issues with it making me drowsy.  

As far as packing goes, make sure you pack for various types of weather.  We went to Mt Rushmore the week before Memorial Day and ran into a nice snowstorm at the top of Needles Hwy.  Luckily, we're from MN and it wasn't a big deal, but to people not expecting it, it could be a rude awakening.

• Options
    We are thinking about going a few years after we get married, with hm in the Army, we don't want to be to far from home... :/
  • Options
    CMG is the Cruise Queen of the Universe - seriously!  From her past posts, I'm thinking she has gone on 15-20.  If you have any cruise questions she's your lady.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards