Honeymoon Discussions

Can we use our friends' Destination Wedding as our Honeymoon??

Good friends of ours (actually it's my fiance's best friend from way back) are having a destination wedding in Jamaica about in May, a month after our April 27 wedding.  My fiance would really like to see them get marrie so he is suggesting we hold off on our honeymoon and go to their wedding and spend the week there as our honeymoon (unfortunately, as with most people, we can't afford two big trips - either time off from work or the travel expenses).  I'm not totally against the idea, as I'd like to see them get married, but I'm just unsure how I feel about it being considered our honeymoon.  We're both pretty laid back and social people, so I don't mind having one night planned to attend their wedding - I just want to make sure we get the "newlywed" time that a honeymoon is supposed to be about.  Is planning our own honeymoon around their wedding a bad idea or would it work out just fine in the end?  Just getting everyone's thoughts before we decide!  Thanks! :)
PS - I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but technically they did have their wedding planned before ours (we just got engaged this past May and they did last December)

Re: Can we use our friends' Destination Wedding as our Honeymoon??

• I think it'll work.  My brother in law and his new wife were going to use our destination wedding as their honeymoon.  I was all for it!

I would plan to be there longer than the wedding, though.

Say the wedding is a Saturday night: Flyin Friday, go to the wedding Saturday, then stay until the following Friday.  You'll have Sunday thru Friday as time for yourselves.  If your friends are planning on staying at the resort, I'd maybe plan to stay elsewhere to avoid any "oh, let's have dinner tonight!" if you don't want to put in those situations.

For our own desitnation wedding, we flew in Tuesday, married Thursday, got rid of all family members by Sunday and then stayed until Friday on our own honeymoon.  We were alone and it was absolutely perfect.
  • I would consider going to the wedding but staying at a separate resort.  That way you won't be running into friends all week and the trip will seem more like a honeymoon.  You would always have the option of meeting up with the group if you were in the mood.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Will it seem more like a wedding and a separate honeymoon to you if you think of it as attending your friends' wedding at Resort X on Saturday, then packing up on Sunday morning and moving to Resort Y for your honeymoon?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_can-we-use-our-friends-destination-wedding-as-our-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:20bd81f8-1e4a-4b95-b45f-9e029a0f3943Post:7822a4c8-e5b9-47ca-81d0-8aaaa32df4fa">Re: Can we use our friends' Destination Wedding as our Honeymoon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would consider going to the wedding but staying at a separate resort.  That way you won't be running into friends all week and the trip will seem more like a honeymoon.  You would always have the option of meeting up with the group if you were in the mood.
    Posted by brilibby4[/QUOTE]

I agree - that way it would see more like you two are "alone" for most of it. Just a thought.
  • Or you could fly out a week before the wedding, have your honeymoon, and end your trip with the wedding.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_can-we-use-our-friends-destination-wedding-as-our-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:20bd81f8-1e4a-4b95-b45f-9e029a0f3943Post:e4dc750a-249f-4870-87a6-e64728b500fb">Re: Can we use our friends' Destination Wedding as our Honeymoon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or you could fly out a week before the wedding, have your honeymoon, and end your trip with the wedding.
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]
     this is along the lines of what we were thinking! good suggestion
  • why not go a week or so early, get the HM out of the way adn then stay on for the wedding?

• I agree with pps.  I would fly in for the wedding, hop over to a new resort, and spend a week there for the hm.   I don't know why I like the idea of doing the hm after your friend's wedding vs flying in a week before like pps have said..maybe so it would be completely off your mind and you could just focus on your H.  
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • I think it's totally responsible.  Like pp's suggested, I would fly in the week before the wedding AND stay at a different resort, if possible.

My bro did a DW and they stayed there the week after for their HM but moved to a different hotel on the resort so that they could have time apart from friends and family who stayed.
  • Why don't you arrive sooner and leave the day (or two days) after their wedding?
  • This would totally work.  I agree with the PP to go early and end your honeymoon with their wedding.  

What part of Jamaica is the DW?  I've been to Jamaica a few times and LOVED it.  It would be a fabulous place for a honeymoon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards