Honeymoon Discussions

Jamaica - couples vs. sandals

We are looking to book the honeymoon soon and have it narrowed down to either one of the Couples Resorts or one of the Sandals in Jamaica.  We originally thought we wanted to stay at Sandals, but after reading some of the reviews it made me nervous!  Anyone have any advice?
bride and groom 2 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Jamaica - couples vs. sandals

• We stayed at Coupes Tower Isle & loved it!!!!
    We really just wanted to relax & keep to ourselves and Sandals seemed very *activity happy* to us....
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• We're doing 6 days at Couples Swept Away and 4 at Sandals Negril. I really wanted the swim up suite at SN, but couldn't afford it. The Couples resorts got GREAT reviews on tripadvisor, so that convinced me on them, and FI wanted to experience Sandals.

Couples is significantly cheaper than Sandals which was also a big factor. Our 6 days at CSA cost the same as 4 days at SN.

We'll be taking a taxi the 3 miles to the Sandals resort.
    Anniversary
  • edited October 2010
    I have never done Couples, but FI and I were not thrilled with our stay at Sandals.  It was too expensive for what it was and the food sucked.
    EDIT: This was Sandals at Dunn's River in Jamaica.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios in Jamaica and loved it.   It wasn't very "activity happy" as the previous poster said.     yes, there are activities going on during the day but you don't have to participate.  We were able to relax by the pool without being bothered.  We thought the service and food were great!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_jamaica-couples-vs-sandals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2160287d-a9eb-4a55-8d27-423bd62186daPost:038c24f9-5c68-46c8-af82-7aef86052500">Re: Jamaica - couples vs. sandals</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never done Couples, but FI and I were not thrilled with our stay at Sandals.  It was too expensive for what it was and the food sucked. EDIT: This was Sandals at Dunn's River in Jamaica.
    Posted by acmj11[/QUOTE]

This.  Except we stayed at Sandals Montego Bay.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • As for the activities at Sandals.... sure, of course you can chose not to do them. Still ~ I don't know about you, but when I want to relax or read or enjoy the sounds of the ocean, I don't want to be 20 feet away from 'Couples Water Aerobis' or 'Couples Name That Tune'.... I just want peace & quiet!
    So which you stay at really depends (aside from budget of course) on what kind of experience you are looking to have on your honeymoon.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• We compared Couples and Sandals for our HM, too.  IMO, you get more bang for your buck at Couples - we stayed at CN and were very happy with our choice. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_jamaica-couples-vs-sandals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:2160287d-a9eb-4a55-8d27-423bd62186daPost:42e40466-4c56-47cd-8755-336c0dc54fd6">Re: Jamaica - couples vs. sandals</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jamaica - couples vs. sandals : No offense, but if you have never been to a resort how do you know this happens.  We stayed at a Sandals resort and the beach was very quiet and we were able to relax and enjoy the sounds of the ocean. In addition, Sandals has a million pools on property and if you want to relax which we did at times, we went to one of the pools where they weren't having activities.     So, you can definitely get peace and quiet!
    Posted by goaliegirl[/QUOTE]

<font color="#008080">My cousin and my best friend's sister both stayed at Sandals ~ one in Antigua and one in Jamaica. They both came back and said it felt more like camp than a hotel. They said there were activites everywhere, and people always trying to *make friends* and get them to join things, when all they wanted was some privacy. That was enough to keep me away!</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Great thoughts and key points ladies! Thanks so much for giving me the low down!! We are thinking we will go with Couples Tower Isle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think we are going to go with Coupls Swept Away.  I really liked Tower Isle too but the nude island looks a little scary, lol.
    bride and groom 2 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards