Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Napa Valley

For our HM, we're doing Hawaii then CA. We're considering San Fransico and/or Napa Valley and have never been to either. We're big wine-os (hence the screen name) so Napa Valley seems logical! We'd either do 4 nights in Napa Valley or 2 nights in both San Fransico and 2 nights in Napa Valley. Does anyone have suggestions for activities in both areas? Is there good public transportation or do we need to rent a car? Any suggestions on places to stay? We're looking at $300 - 400 a night but, of course, the lower the price while not compromising the quality is awesome. TIA Smile

Re: Napa Valley

• Options
    edited February 2013
    We did northern CA this summer--SF for 4 days, a day trip to Napa, then 3 days in the Carmel/Big Sur area (which I would HIGHLY recommend as it is amazing down there. If you want more info on this part of our trip, let me know!)

I would probably do at least 3 nights in SF. We did 4 and there was stuff we still wanted to do.  But if you had to do less, I would do at least 2. It is such an awesome city and lots of activities. I would recommend visiting Alcatraz (buy tix ahead of time-they start selling 90 days out), visiting Golden Gate Park, biking the Bridge to Sausalito and taking the ferry back (fave day of our trip), exploring the different neighborhoods (Chinatown, North Beach, Haight Ashbury, etc) and visiting Fisherman's Wharf. It is touristy but is kind of fun for a first time guest.

We stayed at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square and loved it. It is a central location close to shops and restaurants. There is a cable car pick up right out front (take a cable car ride-very fun!) I would get a MUNI pass when you get in to the airport-there is a desk by bag pick-up. Get a 3 day pass (you can get 1, 3, or 7). This pass allows you unlimited rides on cable cars, streetcars (which are different and also very fun), buses, and the subway. The public transit system is so good in SF that you don't need a car and I'd highly recommend NOT getting one! You can always hoof it or take a cab as well if need be. Just be aware that three blocks in SF may not be that short or easy of a walk if you take into consideration the hills. Oh man, the hills!

We just did a day trip to Napa but I would have really liked to stay there as well. We did a tour, and I'd recommend that even if you stay in Napa so you aren't drinking and driving. We did Max Napa Tours and LOVED it. He only takes a max of 6 people per tour and you could also pay extra for private. He knows everyone in the wine industry there, knows so much about wine, and tailors your wineries to the types of wine you like and what you are looking for. He got us private tastings at many wineries because of who he knows. It was such a fun learning experience too.

Food recs for SF:
    Frascati (get the stone fruit bruschetta)
    Scoma's in FW
    Waterbar
    Fish in Sausalito
    For drinks: Top of the Mark

In Napa: We had lunch at SolBar and it was perfect (it's at a resort and such a beautiful setting).

if you want more info or info on Carmel, let me know!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Solage Calistoga or Carneros Inn would be a great choice for your honeymoon.
    For food, there are so many great restaurants. Some of our favorites:
    Ad Hoc/Addendum (their fried chicken is really good), Gott's for burger, Redd/French Laundry for fine dining, Rutherford Grill, Mustard's Grill

If you do stay in SF, there's public transportation to get around, but for Napa, I would probably get a car.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_napa-valley-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2bbdd965-4987-4993-a182-0ef97faa26bbPost:9d7df847-b45a-404c-91af-7c7ce83449af">Re: Napa Valley</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did northern CA this summer--SF for 4 days, a day trip to Napa, then 3 days in the Carmel/Big Sur area (which I would HIGHLY recommend as it is amazing down there. If you want more info on this part of our trip, let me know!) I would probably do at least 3 nights in SF. We did 4 and there was stuff we still wanted to do.  But if you had to do less, I would do at least 2. It is such an awesome city and lots of activities. I would recommend visiting Alcatraz (buy tix ahead of time-they start selling 90 days out), visiting Golden Gate Park, biking the Bridge to Sausalito and taking the ferry back (fave day of our trip), exploring the different neighborhoods (Chinatown, North Beach, Haight Ashbury, etc) and visiting Fisherman's Wharf. It is touristy but is kind of fun for a first time guest. We stayed at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square and loved it. It is a central location close to shops and restaurants. There is a cable car pick up right out front (take a cable car ride-very fun!) I would get a MUNI pass when you get in to the airport-there is a desk by bag pick-up. Get a 3 day pass (you can get 1, 3, or 7). This pass allows you unlimited rides on cable cars, streetcars (which are different and also very fun), buses, and the subway. The public transit system is so good in SF that you don't need a car and I'd highly recommend NOT getting one! You can always hoof it or take a cab as well if need be. Just be aware that three blocks in SF may not be that short or easy of a walk if you take into consideration the hills. Oh man, the hills! We just did a day trip to Napa but I would have really liked to stay there as well. We did a tour, and I'd recommend that even if you stay in Napa so you aren't drinking and driving. We did Max Napa Tours and LOVED it. He only takes a max of 6 people per tour and you could also pay extra for private. He knows everyone in the wine industry there, knows so much about wine, and tailors your wineries to the types of wine you like and what you are looking for. He got us private tastings at many wineries because of who he knows. It was such a fun learning experience too. Food recs for SF: Frascati (get the stone fruit bruschetta) Scoma's in FW Waterbar Fish in Sausalito For drinks: Top of the Mark In Napa: We had lunch at SolBar and it was perfect (it's at a resort and such a beautiful setting). if you want more info or info on Carmel, let me know!
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

So much great information here - thanks! I'm really glad to hear that we don't have to rent a car for San Francisco. Thanks for the wine tour advice - I'm a bit of a light weight so I definitely would not want to drink and drive! I would love any more information you have - I'm in the beginning stages of looking up things to do, where to stay, food and etc. I'm really interested in this wine tour. Can you give some more info on Carmel?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_napa-valley-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2bbdd965-4987-4993-a182-0ef97faa26bbPost:c3f0689f-445d-46b1-b3d3-3c98472abf9b">Re: Napa Valley</a>:
    [QUOTE]Solage Calistoga or Carneros Inn would be a great choice for your honeymoon. For food, there are so many great restaurants. Some of our favorites: Ad Hoc/Addendum (their fried chicken is really good), Gott's for burger, Redd/French Laundry for fine dining, Rutherford Grill, Mustard's Grill If you do stay in SF, there's public transportation to get around, but for Napa, I would probably get a car.
    Posted by msaputra[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely have to check the inn and the other hotel you suggested here. I feel like we would really enjoy an inn - we tend to like smaller places. I love fried chicken so I'll have to give west coast fried chicken a try!
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2013
    SF is ok for public transport but napa-you'll need a car.
    french laundry.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_napa-valley-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2bbdd965-4987-4993-a182-0ef97faa26bbPost:3ce2e73f-93fb-48f3-8795-39d298a6eb7b">Re: Napa Valley</a>:
    [QUOTE]SF is ok for public transport but napa-you'll need a car. french laundry.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I did come across French Laundry - from what I remember that's a restaurant. We'll have to give it a try!
  • Options
    Not sure when you are going but I'm doing a trip very, very similar to what Summer2011 did (San Fran, Napa/Sonoma and then down the coast to Big Sur) in April. We're staying in Carmel for a bit. If you haven't gone/booked by then I'll try to remember to let you know about it.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_napa-valley-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2bbdd965-4987-4993-a182-0ef97faa26bbPost:57763365-ecd1-4b9e-abb1-79de6889e22a">Re: Napa Valley</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not sure when you are going but I'm doing a trip very, very similar to what Summer2011 did (San Fran, Napa/Sonoma and then down the coast to Big Sur) in April. We're staying in Carmel for a bit. If you haven't gone/booked by then I'll try to remember to let you know about it.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

That would be amazing :) We'll be there in mid-October and aren't planning on making travel plans for awhile (unless I find that everything is booking up quickly). Thanks!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    We did 4 nights in SF, then a day trip to Sonoma with a night in Napa Valley, then 2 more nights in SF at a different hotel.  We didn't have a car but rented one in SF to drive to Napa.  I could have stayed much longer in Napa/Sonoma and plan to go back as a separate trip.  About the only thing we didn't do was tour Alcatraz or Sausalito (DH didn't want to).  We mostly walked everywhere but did take a bus to Golden Gate Park. 

Here is the list of some what we did:

Walked to Union Square
    Took cable car to  Fisherman's Wharf (be sure and see the sea lions!)
    Took a boat ride on the bay
    Visited City Lights bookstore
    Took the Filbert Steps to Coit Tower
    Pizza crawl of North Beach
    Chinatown - toured the Fortune Cookie place
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Legion of Honor Museum
    Lunch at Cliff House restaurant
    Alamo Square - where the Painted Ladies are
    Ghiradelli Square
    Golden Gate Park
    Haight-Asbury
    Napa/Sonoma

On our last day we had no plans--we had thought about driving to Pebble Beach but didn't.  That would be a great trip also.  Instead we got a massage and had dinner at Gary Danko.  (The French Laundry is really expensive but would be awesome.)  I wrote a trip report on Trip Advisor if you go to the San Franciso forum.
  • Options
    My Fi LOVES Napa and we went a few years ago to Robert Mondavi winery... HIS Fav!! Anywho, they do a private twilight tour and you get to drink all the wine you want for about an hour. I wanted to get married there but they do not do weddings. You have to book early though, only 20 people max!!

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_napa-valley-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2bbdd965-4987-4993-a182-0ef97faa26bbPost:e5a83d7d-fba1-4a91-9ac5-8110bcaca345">Re: Napa Valley</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Napa Valley : That would be amazing :) We'll be there in mid-October and aren't planning on making travel plans for awhile (unless I find that everything is booking up quickly). Thanks!
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]

No prob! I'll post something after the trip :)
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    We were in Napa last spring and it was AMAZING!!!! You will have such a nice time. We stayed right in Yountville which is a very small town where you can walk everywhere including some fabulous fabulous fabulous restaurants, tasting rooms, spas. I am so glad we stayed there because we drove up from SF and didn't use the car at all. Lots of wine and no driving :) We did a day long wine tasting tour throuout the Valley so we did hit some nice wineries and the scenery is beautiful. Highly recommend it. The French Laundry is right in Yountville but we didn't go. Reservations are hard to get and it's $$$$$. Two couples staying at our hotel went and for four of them it was $10,000 for dinner. Yes 4 zeros. There are so many other great restaurants in the area, not nearly as much. Have fun! I'm so jealous!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards