Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Domestic HM- end of June-reasonable?

So my FI & I have FINALLY finished planning our wedding with 10 days to go until the big day (June 23) with a very short engagement. Due to the short engagement we haven't saved up at all for our HM but I do plan on having around $1000 before the wedding to put towards it. My Mother suggested waiting until the 24th when we open gifts and see how much cash we recieve to plan anything so that if we do get a larger amount we can choose to apply that towards a HM. We both have off work for a full week after the wedding, do NOT have passports, and live in Wisconsin.

So with all of that being said anyone have any last minute HM ideas for us? We do plan on doing something more around the 6 month mark for Christmas or our 1 yr anniversary but would like a mini moon of sorts now as well. Obviously we are looking for reasonably priced and probably in Wisconsin or atleast within driving distance....

We like romance, historical things, wine, good food, nature, etc. A pool would be an added bonus. We've also considered the B & B route if anyone knows of any cute intimate ones.

I was thinking Gatlinburg or Charleston but that might be a bit further than we want to travel. Wisconsin Dells is out as it's only like an hour from us. So....ladies, any suggestions?

THANK YOU!

Re: Domestic HM- end of June-reasonable?

• Options

I don't know anything about that area but how are the regions near one of the great lakes?  There might be potential there and fairly close.. at least closer than charleston

• Options
    Thanks Ladies! We do have birth certificates, D.L. etc as we needed them for our marriage license, just no passports.
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    We did a mini-moon in Chicago.  Took the train from Miwaukee - so relaxing to not deal with a car.  Stayed in a beautiful old, grand hotel, and there is lots of great dining and sightseeing.  Door County is always beautiful, too, if you want to stay out of the city.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I second Chicago.

Not sure how far this is from you but, Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan? Or Traverse City, MI is near there. Never been, but I hear it's a charming town. Should be around their 4th of July-Cherry Festival.

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    especially if you're trying to budget, you could look at Groupon or Living Social deals. . . . they often have stuff for fun inns and b&bs
  • Options
    I third Chicago or what about Galena, IL? I havent been but know people who have and loved it. Also second the suggestion for Michigan. The UP is supposed to be really pretty there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Michigan's coast is lovely.

West coast of Michigan, on Lake Michigan: Saugatuck is an adorable small artsy town, very similar to New England. Right near the lake

Farther north on the west coast, Petoskey and Traverse City are fabulous. Petoskey is a smaller town/area, downtown stores, wonderful hotels (I can attest to the Stafford Inn), also has B&B's

Traverse City: often crowded. They have a national Cherry Festival, an Air show, and a movie festival, you'd need to check on when those are in relation to your plans. Michael Moore the filmmaker, and Mario Battali the chef both live there, so it's really cool (LOL). Battali has a restaurant there. You can get hotels right on the water, or inland B&B's. The city beach is pretty nice. There are wineries with tours.

Northern Michigan: Mackinac Island is lovely, but very pricey. There is a campground called Mackinac Mills, they have adorable little cabins right next to the Mackinac Bridge on Lake Huron, from there you can drive to the ferry to go to Mackinac Island, or drive over the bridge to see the upper peninsula. The UP is nice, but the stuff you'd want to see (Taquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point) are pretty far up. You can do it in a day, there & back, but it would take the whole day.

Just a recommendation: You won't get much as far as hotels if you haven't made reservations yet. I'd recommend putting into your debit card account, or saving for a credit card payment, the amount you want to spend on hotel rooms that are desirable so you can make reservations ASAP. Otherwise, put off your HM for a week or two for when you can make the reservations with enough time to get a room. This is true of any area in the heart of the summer (June-August) where a lot of tourist go.
  • Options
    Unfortanetly we do not have the option of putting the funds in now (we're basically just finishing up with wedding expenses so our funds are extremely low) OR putting off the HM for a week or two after the wedding as hubby to be has requested off work for the last week of June 6 weeks ago so it is what it is I guess. While we would like nice hotels or B&Bs we really want to see the sites of wherever we are going and won't probably do a whole lot other than sleep (and well you know, ahem, of course lol) in our room.
  • Options
    Door County Wisconsin. We're staying outside Sturgeon Bay. http://www.doorcounty.com/where-to-stay
    There's a lot of nice B&Bs, many of which are adults only :) Some have fancy cabins.
    There's also lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, and at least three good theatres: the Peninsula Players, Door Shakespeare, and Third Avenue Playhouse.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards