Honeymoon Discussions

What do you think about postponed honeymoons?

I'm getting married during April before my semester ends and won't be able to go on our honeymoon til a few weeks later, is this weird? Has anyone had to postpone a honeymoon? I really want to get married in April and don't want to wait til May, not to mention Hawaii (our desired honeymoon spot) is a lot cheaper in May.
158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What do you think about postponed honeymoons?

• I don't think that's weird at all!  I do think it's weird when someone who's been married for 6 months + and goes on a "honeymoon", but a few weeks or even a month or two is fine.  You're still newlyweds at that point! 

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• that's fine, we are going on ours 6 weeks after the wedding because we got a free dining plan if that is when we went.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's quite common nowadays. I know lots of people who have done this... especially in this economy. And not even just for financial reasons, but also often for practical ones... like a good time for a certain destination, as you mentioned, or a key time to take a vacation from work. I don't think this is odd at all. Just if a honeymoon is somehting you want make sure that you do prioritize it. I have known couples that planned on having delayed honeymoons and then they never got to take them because of life coming up.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • I don't see an issue with that. We are having a destination wedding in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and will be at the resort for 10 days. I had wanted to take our honeymoon (2 weeks in Thailand) immediately after the wedding but there was no way with my position at work that I would be able to take off that much time at once. So, we are waiting three months so that there is more time spread out between the two trips. We have some friends who are getting married in May but not taking their honeymoon until November due to her fianace's work schedule. Delaying the honeymoon slightly gives you something else to look forward to once the wedding is over :-)
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Yes, we delayed our honeymoon to Aruba.  The wedding was in July; the honeymoon was in January.  It was just lovely!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-do-you-think-about-postponed-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:33d4f88a-b6e2-483a-bd29-e9e2163dbcbbPost:5cf44912-2c5b-40e1-b31f-dd0d13fb52f5">Re: What do you think about postponed honeymoons?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that's weird at all!  I do think it's weird when someone who's been married for 6 months + and goes on a "honeymoon", but a few weeks or even a month or two is fine.  You're still newlyweds at that point! 
    Posted by JCWhitey[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with you there. I got married September 3 and we're taking our official honeymoon 8months later in May. We have a baby and had to either take him with us in September, or wait to go when my sister was able to care for him.

I don't think we're weird, thanks. An HM is just a fancy word for vacation. H and I have been together 5 years and never been on vacation, so this is going to be incredibly special and our celebration of our marriage.
  • It's perfectly fine. Our HM is 3 weeks after the wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • if that's what you have to do then it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it.

• We took ours 6 months after our wedding.  

• Delayed HMs are quite common for a lot of people due to finances, PTO, etc, so it's NBD.  Besides, your HM is no one's business but the two of yours, so just enjoy your HM whenever you do get to take it!
    Anniversary
  • Because we got married out of state and had to take a week off just to get things ready we delayed ours. Plus I work in a university setting, so the best time for me to take a honeymoon is May. We got married in October 2011 and are taking our honeymoon this May for 2 weeks! Airfare is booked and we are super-excited. BTW, I was too crazy at the time planning a wedding OOT to plan a honeymoon and I like to do everything myself to save money, so I didn't hire a travel agent.

Good luck!
  • Totally fine! We are waiting 2 weeks after our wedding, for the same reason. We are both in graduate school and our semesters won't end until the week following our wedding, and then we'd like a week to chill and settle in our home before we travel. 
  • Nothing wrong about taking your HM when it fits your schedule. We delayed ours 3 weeks because we wanted to see our Detroit Tigers play the Oakland A's when we were in San Francisco (yes we are weird sports nuts).
  • We're getting married in Sept, and not doing a honeymoon until February. FI really wants a ski honeymoon, I was not interested in getting married in the winter. 
  • We are going to the mountains for a few days, then saving up for France for the next year. Do whatever you want :)
  • We're getting married at the end of the near but neither one of us can take enough time off work to take a "proper" honeymoon so we'll have a couple nice nights at a local hotel and then will hopefully be able to take a out of town honeymoon around Valentine's day.

One of my friends just got married in November and didn't take their honeymoon right away, but took time off work and stayed at home.  He said it was the best thing ever just being able to relax at home, get resettled and being able to enjoy being married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We couldn't take our honeymoon right after the wedding due to vacation time - we were originally going to go 5 months later but some condo renovations took place of that.  We're now taking a 1 year anniversary trip and jokingly calling it our "belated honeymoon."  I don't think this trip is going to be any less special than if we'd taken it right after the wedding. 

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• We will be getting married on July 5, 2013 and won't be taking our HM until that December. We live in Michigan and it's so nice here during the summer it would be silly to pay all that money to leave. We decided we would much rather wait until its gross and nasty here and escape to somewhere warm when we will REALLY enjoy it.
  • I totally agree with the PPs! We're getting married in late April, but have booked our honeymoon for early July to coincide with a festival we really want to attend. In addition to that, I love that once the wedding is over, we'll still have another huge event to plan and look forward to!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • It's not weird at all. FI and I are both full time students and can't take our honeymoon 7-8 months after our wedding this october due to school. It's going to be great because this is our last year of school so not only will it be our honeymoon, but also a great graduation present to ourselves. Not to mention the attraction that we want to see at Disneyworld won't be done until 2013 anyway :)

We are however going to take a small weekend trip right after we get married just to have a little time along right after the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We took ours three weeks later and I'm very glad we did. I can get a little stressed with planning and packing, and if I had to pack for the wedding and our two week honeymoon at once, I would have been a wreck. Plus, we were SO tired after the wedding, so we would have wasted a day or two in paradise just recovering. I'm really glad we waited, and it wasn't even for vacation time or financial reasons. 

I think the main thing to watch out for with waiting is that you don't wait so long that life gets in the way and you never do it and always regret it. 
  • We got married 2 weeks ago and we are going on our HM in 24 days, since we had a destination wedding I just couldn't take off 3 weeks back to back, Newlywed title is valid for your whole 1st year so HM should also be considered a HM during the Newlywed period. I think it's more common than alot of folks think.  
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards